Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

Possibly. I certainly don't want to paint a half timbered version.  :no:

But it'll be when I buy a set as one is definitely on my radar. That's how it works right? As I bought two Kirk kits for the Restaurant Cars just before these were announced after being after them for ages.

I'll still get a couple of these to go with my Hornby sets and build the Kirk ones as the rebuilt cars and put them in sets of matching Kirks.

Jason

After reading a piece by "145 Squadron" on here I've been building an "ex Kirk" as a Buffet vehicle. This is now ready for painting, and uses Bachmann Bulleid bogies. 

Even with some careful detailing, it still looks a bit rough compared to the Hornby Maunsells, and wouldn't be hugely convincing in the middle of a rake of them. So I think you're right, keep the Hornbys and Kirks separate. It's really the underframe that looks a bit basic, and I suspect I'd be more inclined to mix and match if I'd put Kirk sides on a Hornby base, which would have been easier and cheaper too!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

After reading a piece by "145 Squadron" on here I've been building an "ex Kirk" as a Buffet vehicle. This is now ready for painting, and uses Bachmann Bulleid bogies. 

Even with some careful detailing, it still looks a bit rough compared to the Hornby Maunsells, and wouldn't be hugely convincing in the middle of a rake of them. So I think you're right, keep the Hornbys and Kirks separate. It's really the underframe that looks a bit basic, and I suspect I'd be more inclined to mix and match if I'd put Kirk sides on a Hornby base, which would have been easier and cheaper too!

John.

As I've said elsewhere, the Kirk body is far too flat below the waist so needs a strip of 40 thou on the inside then re-profiling to suit - also gets rid of the vertical upper reaches ................ not too difficult on a 'normal' type body but lots of  Maunsells had a selection of not-quite-flat bits which need to be separated and re-joined !

• RMweb Premium

Just got mine, lovely model (Many thanks to Derails for some excellent service) but why oh why do Hornby insist on fitting the corridor connector covers rather than supplying as a separate item?  My passengers would like to be able to walk through the train occasionally!!  Thankfully they are easily removable.

No, but I do wonder whether in this era of exotic and rare prototypes making it into 4mm RTR, whether we might one day see one?

If Hornby's "current tooling for the SR Maunsll R4816 restaurant coach  will not allow " them "to add lining to the product " what chance is there for a Tavern ?

• RMweb Gold

If Hornby's "current tooling for the SR Maunsll R4816 restaurant coach  will not allow " them "to add lining to the product " what chance is there for a Tavern ?

I do wonder whether the Hornby message omitted the all-important detail "at a price the market would be perceived to bear".

Restaurant cars are, after all, not everyone's cup of tea (sorry) since many of us struggle to run more than a very short train in our limited space layout. Thus the market is limited anyway. So, if adding lining to this particular vehicle has the effect of pushing the price up beyond, say, £70, this might reasonably be expected by Hornby to be more than the market will pay. And Hornby is not currently looking for slow-sellers. 

Probably not that difficult compared to other models they have done such as the NRM and WWI HSTs. It's not like it's got loads of raised areas getting in the way of the printing.

Don't forget Southern Pride made them a few years back and they looked convincing.

As Olddudders says it's probably cost that's the hinderance.

Jason

If Hornby had anything to do with it, they would probably produce the matching composite dining car in their version of BR green, just to annoy those wanting the pair. The aforementioned was removed rather rapidly from The Master Cutler after the patrons refused to use it, hence, I never built it. The kit is Comet, a far more detailed and metallic representation than the Southern pride version, though you have to paint it yourself.

Edited by Headstock

I do wonder whether the Hornby message omitted the all-important detail "at a price the market would be perceived to bear".

Restaurant cars are, after all, not everyone's cup of tea (sorry) since many of us struggle to run more than a very short train in our limited space layout. Thus the market is limited anyway. So, if adding lining to this particular vehicle has the effect of pushing the price up beyond, say, £70, this might reasonably be expected by Hornby to be more than the market will pay. And Hornby is not currently looking for slow-sellers. 

Agree what you say, but then Hornby still have a re-run of the pullman observation car (for release this autumn, they say) at a penny short of £75, which by the same logic is neither suited to a small layout nor likely to be a fast seller. That said, when I see the prices that are being sought for second hand ones - a staggering £100 - they might be on to a (minor) winner!

Without knowing exactly WHY the Restaurant Car should be significantly more complex / expensive to line than the other Maunsells ( in particular the brakes ) I get the feeling Hornby might have shot themselves in the foot here : there WAS a proven demand for these coaches to be produced from the day the first Maunsell was announced - and now it's available ( without lining ) there are innumerable cancellations in this thread ..... and the number of potential impulse-buys must have been reduced considerably.

Anyway, I STILL can't figure out what Hattons are trying to say about deliveries ..... seems to have drifted another month to OCTOBER - according to the paper catalogue that arrived with my R4827 !

• RMweb Gold

Even those who have large layouts won't want many. Say you have one up and one down express set in the storage loops.

Then consider that each of those will have a brake third at either end, as will all other sets of three coaches or more.

Restaurant cars required, two. Brake thirds required, maybe a dozen or more, and that's why restaurant cars have always been poorly covered as r-t-r subjects.

Tell you what, though, I'd have willingly stumped up a fair bit extra for working table lamps in these. After all, we know it can be done.... :sungum:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

It doesn't hold back Hornby of producing every time again a new release of the old molding {Airfix-Dapol?} of the 12 wheeled LMS  restaurant coach [simple lining added] for 50,99 rrp new release R 4802 for 2018 and the older release R4095 + A-C-D-E-G as far i can find that's 7 times a [re]-release, so think 70,- for a lined SR restaurant is a bit overrated, i think.

If they do them in lined one they will sell many more than now, because many people cancelled their pre-order included me,the one in plain olive is not useable for many people who are moddeling period arround 1928-1938.

I could use it only for Dunkirk set 447, but i bought the set more for the 700 class loco 325 do not realy like the olive drab coaches.

So hopefully Hornby will bring them lined Maunsell green for both models next year, think they will sell many more, i at least can do two of each type.

It is a very good model, but not exploited full for the sales, if they not explote it fully Hornby will leave laying money.

Hornby's explanation to me the current tooling would not allow lining to the product ,[ it's only the tampo machine that has to be altered], think there explaining was more a sales excuse, not realy it would be impossible. 

Glad I put in my order when I did - bagged one late last week from Rails at £36;50 - it went up the next day to £41.99 and when I looked just now despite the message about pre-orders stating £41.99 still when you click on the link for the model it is now the same as Hattons at £47.99.

Not sure where their stock is and I rather hope it turns up soon otherwise I will be wishing I had gone to Derails.

Glad I put in my order when I did - bagged one late last week from Rails at £36;50 - it went up the next day to £41.99 and when I looked just now despite the message about pre-orders stating £41.99 still when you click on the link for the model it is now the same as Hattons at £47.99.

Not sure where their stock is and I rather hope it turns up soon otherwise I will be wishing I had gone to Derails.

Latest Facebook post from Rails posted about 5 mins ago says they're due in Thursday / Friday, I hope they are going to honour the preorder price, they did with my Merchant Navy, but haven't with the H2.

Would be a bit rich of them to take my order last week and then up the price this week but clearly those that didn't pre-order are now paying RRP with Hattons and Rails

It's always a gamble to pre order or not, several times it has saved me a great deal of money, but in other cases, like with Bachmann's Birdcages I wish I'd waited and bought all 3 at once at a bundle discount, but hey ho!

• RMweb Gold

Latest Facebook post from Rails posted about 5 mins ago says they're due in Thursday / Friday, I hope they are going to honour the preorder price, they did with my Merchant Navy, but haven't with the H2.

I contacted them too.  There's been a delay in Hornby's delivery but they are due later this week as you have found.  But I was told the two I had ordered were allocated from this delivery and therefore I expect them to ship at the pre-order price (£36.50).

Edited by RFS

I pre-ordered with Rails was going to get two SR BR ones, As Hatton's had them going for £36.99.

But was a bit surprised they where Full retail price even on pre order, so only one brought.

My Maunsell restaurant arrived today. I have taken an image with light and shadow

to highlight the body side detail. My only ( minor ) niggle is the colour of the curtains,

it is doubtful if white curtains would have stayed clean for long in steam days.

Other than that it is a superb model, and I hope it will sell well.

An SR restaurant or buffet car was always top of my wish list.

Finally I must thank Derails for the good price and prompt service.

post-24481-0-26532200-1533141908_thumb.jpg

• Like 10