Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

My Maunsell restaurant arrived today. I have taken an image with light and shadow

to highlight the body side detail. My only ( minor ) niggle is the colour of the curtains,

it is doubtful if white curtains would have stayed clean for long in steam days.

Other than that it is a superb model, and I hope it will sell well.

An SR restaurant or buffet car was always top of my wish list.

Finally I must thank Derails for the good price and prompt service.

post-24481-0-26532200-1533141908_thumb.j

I've quoted your whole post inc picture, because 1) I think it should come across to the new page, it's a very clear photo, and is making me very impatient for mine to arrive! And 2) I think this probably shows what Hornby is referring to when they say there are printing limitations which mean they cannot produced a lined version due to tooling, although my scope is pretty limited to Southern stuff, is there a coach on the market that is similar that is lined? (I did think maybe the new tooling teaks might be a close comparison)

Regardless, it's a fantastic looking model, and lining certainly doesn't matter much to those modelling late SR/BR.

My Maunsell restaurant arrived today. I have taken an image with light and shadow

to highlight the body side detail. My only ( minor ) niggle is the colour of the curtains,

it is doubtful if white curtains would have stayed clean for long in steam days.

Other than that it is a superb model, and I hope it will sell well.

An SR restaurant or buffet car was always top of my wish list.

Finally I must thank Derails for the good price and prompt service.

Great photo, Trevor.

Would you say Hornby's moulding of the beading on the panel joints is more prominent on the RF than on their Maunsell TO? They seem to be similar to me.

Cheers,

Martin

Great photo, Trevor.

Would you say Hornby's moulding of the beading on the panel joints is more prominent on the RF than on their Maunsell TO? They seem to be similar to me.

Cheers,

Martin

That's a good point, Martin. I will try and take an image of a TO for comparison, one evening

when the light is right. And will also try the 1935 BCK, as modelled by Hornby, in it's push/ pull form.

To my mind the 1935 BCK is Hornby's best effort so far, hope they will do it in original form one day.

A couple are already sold !.

• Like 2

My SR version arrived this morning and despite the lack of lining (like many, I would have preferred a lined version) it is certainly a fine model. I think most that can be said about the livery has been said already but if, as it seems, Hornby have taken the livery from plate 100 on page 93 of Mike King's book, it is undoubtedly correct, even to the writing being in yellow, rather than gilt, and the heavier block lettering used in that period (cf. photo of earlier livery on page 65 of Gould).

On the subject of the panel beading, comparing it with my open third it feels finer on the restaurant car under my engineer's finger, but then the open third beading has rivets, which distorts the impression a bit. That said, even allowing for light effects on photography, vertical (at least) beading is almost invisible in the photos mentioned above!

In any event, the presence of beading is not a reason not to have lining - since the open third has it over its beading, and very successfully, too.

Mike.

PS:  Since they are unquestionably with us now, I wonder if the OP could remove the question mark in the title of this thread?  (!!!)

Edited by olivegreen

PS:  Since they are unquestionably with us now, I wonder if the OP could remove the question mark in the title of this thread?  (!!!)

The title doesn't actually make any mention of the word 'Maunsell' ........ so perhaps the OP is leaving the topic open for the possibility of other restaurant coaches* - such as a decent LMS one ??!?

* Perhaps the OP could revise the title to Restaurant Cars ?

• Like 1

The title doesn't actually make any mention of the word 'Maunsell' ........ so perhaps the OP is leaving the topic open for the possibility of other restaurant coaches* - such as a decent LMS one ??!?

* Perhaps the OP could revise the title to Restaurant Cars ?

Point taken - I stand corrected !!

Great photo, Trevor.

Cheers,

Martin

There we are Martin, you can answer your own question.

post-24481-0-26220600-1533227150_thumb.jpg

post-24481-0-13436200-1533227187_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Maybe 7946 is the September one ............ ? ...........................

( My 7861 should be here any moment ! ............. spoke too soon without checking : it's supposedly already in the building - now how long before it reaches the ninth floor ? )

S7946S was the number originally shown in the Hornby announcements IIRC.

There we are Martin, you can answer your own question.

Thanks, Trevor.

For some reason, models appear far better when photographed in natural light, outside.

I can see no reason why the beading on the RF should preclude lining, bearing in mind that R4537 (the olive green open third No.1400) was so lined (as mentioned by another poster I believe).

Best regards,

Martin

Hi Everyone,

I bought a BR/SR Maunsell RF, a very nice carriage, but like with the Hawksworths, those curtains had to go.

Bearing-in-mind that Hornby's seating is French Blue/Royal Blue, the same colour for curtains might look rather dark,

so it was down to a toss-up between light grey (a safe bet), or light blue? I decided to paint one side in each colour,

for a bit of variety.

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-44192200-1533250442_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-49237300-1533250416_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Moderately O/T but how possible would it be to convert a Pull-Push BCK into its original condition thorugh a cut and shut (end duckets) of a standard (and hopefully cheap BCK or BTK)?

Toilet window in the BCK would be the only major 'part' not available as the shapes are different. Underframe of donor early maunsell coach would ensure correct buffers.

Just a thought for a little project.

Especially with an excuse of a non-lined Restaurant car to pair a non-lined BCK with...

Moderately O/T but how possible would it be to convert a Pull-Push BCK into its original condition thorugh a cut and shut (end duckets) of a standard (and hopefully cheap BCK or BTK)?

Toilet window in the BCK would be the only major 'part' not available as the shapes are different. Underframe of donor early maunsell coach would ensure correct buffers.

Especially with an excuse of a non-lined Restaurant car to pair a non-lined BCK with...

Better still if Hornby could be pursuaded to produce the 1935 BCK in it's original form.

No doubt could be done by cutting along the door line - though you'd have to make sure the joint was strong and accurate ( or arrange a different means of mounting on the chassis ! ) .................... you'd have to fit the later style battery boxes.

Now, if you'd be kind enough to get the bits together and start surgery then I'm sure Hornby will answer Trevor's prayers - and mine - and announce a full set of 1935 & 1936 stock in the next Engine Shed ..........

Regarding my RF curtain repaints, I should have added that, to remove the body from the chassis,

gently prise out the middle body sections, to release the broad central clips, and slide in

some 40 thou plasticard wedges for a moment, to hold them apart. Then using a small electrician's

screwdriver, gently slide across each of the clear plastic corner clips in their sockets (behind the buffers),

to release one corner at a time. I prefer to do the two at the same end first, so that the chassis

starts to drop out. No need to remove the bogies.

Like on the Hornby Hawksworths, the curtains can be removed using Methylated Spirit in a well-vented area, but test it first,

in case your meths is a different mix (spot the disclaimer!). This is applied and then gently rubbed with a cotton bud, being careful

not to erase the first-class sticker. I left my now blank windows in situ, but painting

curtains on was awkward, especially lower down. Some RTR windows are very difficult to extract, but these didn't

look too difficult, it would have made curtain painting easier, although there's always the nightmare risk of cracking the glazing,

or just scratching it.

If you make a mistake with any curtain painting, remove again with only Methylated Spirit.

DO NOT USE WHITE SPIRIT OR ENAMEL THINNERS ANYWHERE NEAR THE GLAZING.

Also, DON'T INHALE OR INGEST THE METHYLATED SPIRIT. (AND DON'T SMOKE, COS YOU MIGHT BLOW-UP)

Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby

Just to confirm, now that payment has been taken, Rails did stick to the original preorder price =) looking forward to adding dining facilities to my South Coast expresses

Mine isn't showing as in stock yet, had a look at one today in Arcadia but my Rails on is still in the process of being unpacked.  When I saw the BR ones as being in stock I did ring them up to confirm and the orders for the SR ones haven't been processed yet (phew).

Just bought my Maunsell Kitchen dining first from Kernow for £41.99 plus postage. I did not pre-order this as I was not expecting it until September and Hornby has done well to produce it ahead of schedule. I am surprised that Hattons is charging the recommended retail price plus postage when Hornby is offering it for the full price post free and presumably the local model shops will be offering a discount.

Has anyone noticed the spelling error for 'dinning' on the box? I was a little disappointed that there was no lining and that the grey roofs do not match the white roofs of the other coaches.

I ran the coach with some Hornby Maunsell coaches and an old tender driven schools class locomotive on the portable test track with Super 4 and Series 3 track at our meeting at Winterborne Kingston this evening. It was a bit hot for operating model railways.

post-17621-0-02524200-1533331416_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-14141100-1533331465_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-17793500-1533331519_thumb.jpg

Just to confirm, now that payment has been taken, Rails did stick to the original preorder price =) looking forward to adding dining facilities to my South Coast expresses

That funny i had two on order with Rails when they first announced, Got an Email this week asking £47.95 each. 

• RMweb Gold

That funny i had two on order with Rails when they first announced, Got an Email this week asking £47.95 each.

It should be easy to bring up your originall order on Rails website to check on that.I know Rails increased their asking price on these this week in line I think with Hornby increasing theirs.However,I ordered at Rails about two weeks ago at their original £36.50 level.My order sent yesterday is at that price.That being the case there is no reason for them not to honour yours.

One small point.....did you order quoting your c.c.?.Sounds as if you didn't.Phone to check on this ASAP.

• RMweb Gold

Just bought my Maunsell Kitchen dining first from Kernow for £41.99 plus postage. I did not pre-order this as I was not expecting it until September and Hornby has done well to produce it ahead of schedule. I am surprised that Hattons is charging the recommended retail price plus postage when Hornby is offering it for the full price post free and presumably the local model shops will be offering a discount.

Hatton's honoured my pre-ordered price of £40.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Just got mine, lovely model (Many thanks to Derails for some excellent service) but why oh why do Hornby insist on fitting the corridor connector covers rather than supplying as a separate item?  My passengers would like to be able to walk through the train occasionally!!  Thankfully they are easily removable.

This is an excellent point. Why supply gangway covers on vehicles that spent their time in the middle of a train.

In these days of rising costs, Hornby could save themselves ( and us ) a few pence by supplying one for each brake vehicle only.

They are very nice to have, but I now have about 40 gangway covers in a box of bits !.

• RMweb Gold

This is an excellent point. Why supply gangway covers on vehicles that spent their time in the middle of a train.

In these days of rising costs, Hornby could save themselves ( and us ) a few pence by supplying one for each brake vehicle only.

They are very nice to have, but I now have about 40 gangway covers in a box of bits !.

I have removed so many of these covers over recent years, but one end of the restaurant car was not yielding, and it was the entire gangway that came away. Sigh. At least with the multiple locating pins and a smidgen of glue all is now well.