Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

• RMweb Gold

Ooh that makes it worse !!!

That’s my line, a buffet car your kidding me, aside of Sutton station buffet (your better eating used cardboard), your only hope is if the platform vending machine is open, plugged in, getting electric, isn’t empty, broken, vandalised... even then it’s a 50/50 that the can of coke is still in date.

A buffet to Dorking... if I write a book that will be its title.

It was, of course, only the 1978 WTT that took the Mid-Sussex fasts away from Sutton and Dorking and made them bow to the Great God of Gatwick. They had run as electric services since 1938, first as Cor-Buf-Cor, then CEP-BEP-CEP, but had a heritage in steam services in C19, when London Bridge and Victoria services would combine and split at Sutton.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know whether any of the Maunsell coaches (modelled by Hornby) would have found their way in late 1950s BR days to the Liverpool/Manchester/Preston areas?  If so, on what services?

Stan

Never say never, however in all the research I've been doing over the last few months I can find nothing in the usual culprit Volumes.

Phil

All these complaints these days about lack of lining, I'm amazed people haven't got better things to moan and whine about. Still, I suppose it beats starting a riot over the curtains.....again! :P

- Mr Ant Epedant

Engage industrial-level pedantry mode/

'Antepedant' means 'before pedant', so to be an antepedant you would need to comment before any pedantry was evinced. To indicate your opposition to pedantry, you would need to be an 'antipedant'.

Industrial-level pedantry mode end/

Seriously though, the coaches are awfully nice. Apparently a friend of mine has taken delivery of one for me, but I can't get hold of him... Perhaps the coach is so nice he's eloped with it  :O

• Like 1

Question to the jury, while I wait for the open third to accompany my restaurant car, and the beautiful H2 to pull it, I've aquired a 3rd Class Pullman to join the train, my question is would you put it next to the first class dining, or the other side of the kitchen? On one hand it is 3rd class but arguably more luxurious than the first class on the Maunsell restaurant :P

I've always wondered why we had 3rd class Pullmans, 3rd class luxury travel just seems like a bit of an odd concept... What do you get in a 1st class Pullman that you don't get in a 3rd class Pullman?

You don't say whether your 3rd Class Pullman is a Parlour Car or Kitchen Car ( let alone what variety it is ) but - as has been stated by others - the combination of either variant with a Maunsell Restaurant would be virtually unknown. Possibly the only exception - though with a First Class Kitchen Car - was in the early post-war Night Ferry where a Maunsell dining twin set served the sleeping car passengers and  a Pullman catered for the 'seated' travellers .... with a locked door between them, of course !

Incidentally, while the Maunsell Restaurant Cars were always (?) operated by 'outside caterers'* - as we'd call them now - those which 'replaced' Pullman cars on the Central & Eastern Divisions ( including the electric Cars ) were manned by Pullman staff.

As in all 'classed' transport, what you got in a Pullman First was a lot more bum-room than in Third Class : individual armchairs rather than fixed two-plus-one seating ............ worth paying a few more pence for if you can !

* Spiers & Pond come to mind

You don't say whether your 3rd Class Pullman is a Parlour Car or Kitchen Car ( let alone what variety it is ) but - as has been stated by others - the combination of either variant with a Maunsell Restaurant would be virtually unknown.

Apologise for lack of info, but thank you for your informative post, it is a wood sided 3rd class parlour, although I see I am well into rule 1 territory, it looks fab coupled to the olive restaurant car =)

• 1 month later...

Having already bought mine, I am not keeping in touch with current prices. So, just a heads up that Jadlam Models have the R4817 RFK in BR green for 42.95. However, ........

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/Hornby-coach-r4817-br-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-s7946s-era-4-5/

even better, they have a 10% off sale today, no minimum spend, until 6am on Saturday 3 November. Enter code FLASH at checkout. I understand this offer applies right across their website. I have no connection with Jadlam other than having purchased from them previously.

Martin

Having already bought mine, I am not keeping in touch with current prices. So, just a heads up that Jadlam Models have the R4817 RFK in BR green for 42.95. However, ........

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/Hornby-coach-r4817-br-maunsell-kitchen-dining-first-s7946s-era-4-5/

even better, they have a 10% off sale today, no minimum spend, until 6am on Saturday 3 November. Enter code FLASH at checkout. I understand this offer applies right across their website. I have no connection with Jadlam other than having purchased from them previously.

Martin

They sell to overseas with VAT still included, so not user friendly for export.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So the open 3rd to go with the restaurant car got dispatched today, I wasn't aware they had even arrived but I got a dispatch email from Rails just now! Annoyingly for me it is lined after all but I'm sure that'll please most of you.  :)

Pleased to note it is a new number - 1375 - rather than the 1400 shown in pre-release images. And R4835 is also shown as in stock - the open third in blood and custard, for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone else is looking for info on Malachite versions of the Restaurant car, but I think I've found something, i'm not 100% it's exactly the same diagram, but honestly I haven't even checked - the livery is what i'm looking for anyways.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85734&search=maunsell+restaurant+car

(I have to link to the website as there is no picture I can copy across, so my apologies) In the above picture, there are clearly 4 numbers at the leading end of the coach, and the photo is dated 1948, so i'm fairly confident that it's still in genuine SR livery as opposed to BR(S). The watermark obscures the middle of the coach, but if you refer to the below photo of my own model (apologies for having to reference my own 'work'), it looks like the 'SOUTHERN' branding is in the same place as it is on the model in the centre of the coach above the window line, and it's just the 'RESTAURANT CAR' lettering that needs to be moved to be in the centre too.

46116750562_3fc3f9e453_b.jpg

I would argue that my own example looks like the 'SOUTHERN' is too long, and needs the shorter version, but due to the angle of the coach I can't be sure. If anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd be happy to hear it. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is where the number on the furthest end of the coach is? It almost looks like it's positioned between the last window and the door, but I can't be sure, i'm not sure how feasible it would be to fit a 4 digit number there on the model either - any thoughts gents?

Edited by Jack P

I'm not sure if anyone else is looking for info on Malachite versions of the Restaurant car, but I think I've found something, i'm not 100% it's exactly the same diagram, but honestly I haven't even checked - the livery is what i'm looking for anyways.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85734&search=maunsell+restaurant

(I have to link to the website as there is no picture I can copy across, so my apologies) In the above picture, there are clearly 4 numbers at the leading end of the coach, and the photo is dated 1948, so i'm fairly confident that it's still in genuine SR livery as opposed to BR(S). The watermark obscures the middle of the coach, but if you refer to the below photo of my own model (apologies for having to reference my own 'work'), it looks like the 'SOUTHERN' branding is in the same place as it is on the model in the centre of the coach above the window line, and it's just the 'RESTAURANT CAR' lettering that needs to be moved to be in the centre too.

46116750562_3fc3f9e453_b.jpg

I would argue that my own example looks like the 'SOUTHERN' is too long, and needs the shorter version, but due to the angle of the coach I can't be sure. If anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd be happy to hear it. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is where the number on the furthest end of the coach is? It almost looks like it's positioned between the last window and the door, but I can't be sure, i'm not sure how feasible it would be to fit a 4 digit number there on the model either - any thoughts gents?

That 'link' seems to bounce straight back to the rmweb page ..... very odd ........................ anyway, the numbers - as on all Malachite Maunsells - will be above window level and as near the coach end as there's space to fit them : in the office at present so I can't say whether there's any guidance in Mike King's 'bible'.

• Like 1

Ooh that makes it worse !!!

That’s my line, a buffet car your kidding me, aside of Sutton station buffet (your better eating used cardboard), your only hope is if the platform vending machine is open, plugged in, getting electric, isn’t empty, broken, vandalised... even then it’s a 50/50 that the can of coke is still in date.

A buffet to Dorking... if I write a book that will be its title.

I travelled daily from Basingstoke to Waterloo for thirty seven years - in 1972  there was still a "silver service breakfast" on offer in the mornings (meals may be all day?). This was eventually replaced with the standard buffet car, where you could get bacon sarnies or fried egg on toast - nothing like double egg on toast with coffee at 7.45am in the morning.. I think the twelve coach train was made up of a 4REP and two x4TC's.  Nearly every night of the week was party night in the "buffet car".  I was in the buffet car on the Bournemouth train when it crashed at Clapham in 1988. The buffet was closed that morning - so a group of us just stood by the counter - luckily all those I travelled with survived - some were not so lucky on that day.

That 'link' seems to bounce straight back to the rmweb page ..... very odd ........................ anyway, the numbers - as on all Malachite Maunsells - will be above window level and as near the coach end as there's space to fit them : in the office at present so I can't say whether there's any guidance in Mike King's 'bible'.

That is very odd.. 

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85734&search=maunsell+restaurant+car

I'm hoping that one will be better. I'd be interested to know where you think they'd be, my money was on the space between the 3rd and 4th window, but if you find anything to the contrary i'd love to know!

Having googled based on info above, is this is the link intended?

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85904

Close! If you search "Maunsell Restaurant Car" it comes up. and is a sort of 3 quarter shot,  I can't seem to fix the link?

Having released the Maunsell S0 in crimson/cream I shall be very disappointed if they don’t follow it in 2019 with the RC in that livery.

It would indeed, except that I wonder how well the Restaurant Car is selling, as I have seen them discounted down to £40 in places.

One could of course get out the spraying kit....!

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It would indeed, except that I wonder how well the Restaurant Car is selling, as I have seen them discounted down to £40 in places.

Which makes it odd Hornby felt the need to do an exact copy of the 2018 ones in livery terms for 2019

I hope we don't get a repeat of the olive King Arthur situation where Hornby released exactly the same configuration for a several years on the bounce then drop it as a bad seller - even though they could have easily done a different configuration every time (e.g. minus smoke deflectors, different tenders, etc.)

I hope we don't get a repeat of the olive King Arthur situation where Hornby released exactly the same configuration for a several years on the bounce then drop it as a bad seller - even though they could have easily done a different configuration every time (e.g. minus smoke deflectors, different tenders, etc.)

Malachite green..  :mail:

• RMweb Gold

Which makes it odd Hornby felt the need to do an exact copy of the 2018 ones in livery terms for 2019

Ditto BR black Schools with Bulleid chimney...

Apologies if this was asked already, its a long thread, but does anyone know if the newly released Southern Restaurant Car has the matching livery to earlier releases of the Maunsell High Window Southern carriages? Hattons describe those as Southern green livery and the new Restaurant Car as SR Olive Green. Hard to tell in the photos exactly. Thanks for any comments

Apologies if this was asked already, its a long thread, but does anyone know if the newly released Southern Restaurant Car has the matching livery to earlier releases of the Maunsell High Window Southern carriages? Hattons describe those as Southern green livery and the new Restaurant Car as SR Olive Green. Hard to tell in the photos exactly. Thanks for any comments

The colour looks the same but the restaurant car is unlined and has a light grey roof whereas the Maunsell corridor first and brake third have white roofs and are lined.