Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

According to Backtrack January 2004 pages 11-12, there were dining facilities on the summer Saturdays Waterloo to Lymington trains in 1938.  Surely a lined version would be needed for this..

Whether needed or not - that's all that would have been available before malachite green and economy wartime finishes appeared. ( The extent of the lining probably varied a little tho'.)

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old topic with a shot of a restaurant car at Waterloo. Looks like it's just been shunted in by the M7.

If the link doesn't take you to the timestamp (which it should) it's 12:28

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! This was an interesting read.

Despite the marginal evidence for unlined prewar livery, all of my other Maunsell coaches, like the supposedly matching TO, are lined. So, while unlined olive might possibly be prototypically correct, to the untrained, and even partially-trained, eye it would look out of sorts.

Hey-ho, I'm more interested in the ex-LBSCR, where AFAICT Pullmans were used rather than SR restaurant cars. So lining a car myself seems like unnecessary self-torture. But, should Hornby release a version in lined olive, I will definitely be a customer!

All that said, I have a question over the TO. Were these only used in conjunction with restaurant/dining cars during the '30s? I can only finding them postwar in SEMG's coach sets list, although that may not be definitive.

13 minutes ago, truffy said:

All that said, I have a question over the TO. Were these only used in conjunction with restaurant/dining cars during the '30s? I can only finding them postwar in SEMG's coach sets list, although that may not be

According David Gould ,listing about coaches all TO are before the war loose coaches after the war they appear in some sets.

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2020 at 16:35, truffy said:

All that said, I have a question over the TO. Were these only used in conjunction with restaurant/dining cars during the '30s? I can only finding them postwar in SEMG's coach sets list, although that may not be definitive.

As Cor-onGRT4 says only a relative handful of Open Thirds got incorporated in sets - post war - but like any other Third they might have been inserted in a set or hooked on the end of a train as a 'swinger' any time. Rule 1 of Southern coaching stock : you can never have enough loose Thirds !

• Thanks 1

Yes, referring to post-war South Eastern Section services formerly operated with Pullman Cars, Mike King says "The Southern had not built any narrow-bodied catering vehicles, which compelled the retention of the Pullman Cars on ( the Hastings ) route. To replace the others 14 Maunsell Restaurant cars were reallocated to the South Eastern section, being staffed & provisioned by the Pullman Car Co. All 14 cars were rebuilt into Diagram 2666 Buffet cars in 1953/4, continuing to provide a Pullman Car Co presence on ordinary services to the Kent coast."

But definitely NOT Bulleid  buffets ( etc ) - they stayed firmly west of Waterloo ! ( there weren't a lot anyway )

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

This appears to be the thread for the Maunsell kitchen cars (there never seemed to be a separate one)...

I have an operational question - would the adjoining third class car have been coupled to the saloon end or the kitchen end of the Kitchen car (i.e. would third class meals have been transported through the first saloon, or straight out the other end)? I'm trying to work out how to assemble my rake.

In the video above the kitchen seems to be coupled directly behind the loco in one shot... so that may answer my question...

Also is there a floor plan for the layout of the kitchen cars? 

Edited by G-BOAF

From the various shots I've seen, the accompanying third class car was coupled to the kitchen end and, as you've noted, the two often seemed to be behind the loco at the head of the rake (although I have seen examples whether they were located in the middle of rakes and the RKBs and RCOs seemed to be in the middle of the inter-regional sets). Hope that helps!

6 hours ago, SRyan said:

From the various shots I've seen, the accompanying third class car was coupled to the kitchen end and, as you've noted, the two often seemed to be behind the loco at the head of the rake (although I have seen examples whether they were located in the middle of rakes and the RKBs and RCOs seemed to be in the middle of the inter-regional sets). Hope that helps!

I think that on the Western Section the dining cars only ran as far as Exeter.  There was one train a day where the cars ran through to Ilfracombe or Padstow but not in the main, so that the MN came off the train with the two coaches and ran forward into the siding where they could be stabled until the train was split as desired and the Light Pacific(s) attached at the front.  Obviously the process had to be to be carried out in reverse for the up train.  This is explained in full in the book "British Railway Centres No.2 Exeter Central", with a nice picture on Page 1 of a MN with the two dining/restaurant cars in the centre road waiting alongside the Plymouth portion until the WC has left for Exmouth Jc shed.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1