O gauge Milk tankers

DapolDave

Hi Raymw   There's not that much wrong with the springs apart from the fact that LMS have 7 leaves and GWR have 8 and the model sems to have 7 but on a GWR underframe.which is lettered LMS !  It was just the weird optical effect you get if you enlarge the Dapol gallery pictures up to 400%.  

Regards adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Despite it being the G0G show at Telford, I ended up in Essex, where by chance I found myself at Mangapps Railway museum, which I would heartily recommend - there is a fantastic collection of railway items, principally but not exclusively from the Essex area. http://www.mangapps.co.uk

One of the non-Eastern items was this. Sorry that the photos are not excellent. May help anyone weathering a milk tank, or indeed, looking for details.

I suspect it is being used as a fuel bowser

Best

Simon

post-20369-0-75001600-1410115738_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-83796500-1410115765_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-05532300-1410115812_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-58859100-1410115906_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-59660900-1410115923_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-89874700-1410116160_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all     Simond has shown some interesting photos above. This particular batch of wagons was built as 4 wheelers in 1927 as Dia O23 but rebuilt on new frames as Dia O44, Fortunately this was not the design chosen by Dapol, as the tank fixings are unusual.   It was strengthened with the pairs of vertical solebar webs in BR days, as were many others, but still retains the original short lever DC brakegear which on later designs was replaced with long levers but using similar actuating linkage.  Had Dapol chosen this chassis and an appropriate tank and cradle the tooling costs could have been reduced and the variety of authentic liveries would not have been restricted to one or two    Non aurthentic liveries would not have been affected at all as, from now on, all their milk tanks necessarily will be non authentic. 

If anybody has bought one and attempted to dismantle it,  I would be interested to know if the tank cradles can be removed from under the tanks or are integral with the chassis.  It would mean optional versions were possible if so.       Regards all  adrtianbs.

Hi All   I have just checked to ensure I have got the facts correct and can say now that 4 of  the milk tanks are being supplied with none of the solebar lettering shown on the originally illustrated version, neither with all its errors, or corrected as one would have hoped.   They are not being supplied with any transfers at all so at least those who want wagons with different numbers to make a rake will have no problem.  I am not sure what those who expected the models to be fully finished for the money will do, there are, as yet, no sheets available so you will have the fun of hand lettering or buying  expensive lettering sheets  from Slaters just for the solebar.  For those non-kit builders  the choice will be,  go without,  or pay someone to letter and number them for you, ( about £30 each for professional work )   You will of course, have your choice of  the big 4 or BR if you can do the lettering or get it done for you, but you will have to accept the  "Genericness"  whichever you choose.  I am not sure if the original version is as shown or is going through the print department to have the lettering blacked out. this  version is not listed by some retailers.   Maybe returning the models as faulty will be the only option.

Regards all  adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Hi All With regard to who has responsibilty for these seriously flawed wagon designs we have, as yet, not heard where the buck stops. Those who consider the original posts on this forum hold the clue, may now be rather worried about the standards that will be used on a certain huge new range of products. If it turns out that someone else is responsible, then this bodes ill for further Dapol models.

The answer to the question I posed earlier, "Where is the vacuum cylinder ??" is:- THERE ISN'T ONE, This does leave you with the option of putting it where you want it, depending on what lettering you put on the solebar although the model is not supplied with a loose one to fit, nor a pair of steam pipes as far as I am aware.

Peter220950s remarks about "Why are we all modelling to 7mm 32mm gauge standards instead of S7" are rather unnecessary as almost all kits can be built either way so you are NOT FORCED to use 32mm gauge AT ALL. Lionheart aready offer S7 wheels as an option on their wagons and have also produced some locos in S7. Modelling in S7 is mainly hampered by the lack of RTR points although handbuilding points is actually surprisingly easy with current components and allows much more flexibilty than a standard RH or LH point.

Regards all adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Guest 838rapid

Well my first Milk Tank wagon has arrived,it's a good rendition of a milk tank in my eyes.

I believe if it looks like a flute and plays like a flute it's got to be a flute.

Am I considerably bothered about the axle boxes,no.

Am I majority concerned about no lettering on the sidebar,no.

Am I intending to buy 5 more,yes.

Can't wait for the comments from our 'expert' but it's my railway and rule 1 applies.

post-7937-0-06739200-1410790589_thumb.jpg

post-7937-0-31717700-1410790633_thumb.jpg

And as I have blocked his replies I shall not lose any sleep either.

• Like 7

Hi All As long as he's happy, of course, one day, when he puts his glasses on -----

Has any one buffered up one of these milk tanks against another wagon with correct height buffers or is it just an optical illusion that the Hymek is riding rather low ????? Perhaps Dapol SHOULD have used the 3' 1" wheels which would have been correct for a GWR milk tank, just a passing thought. The easy solution will be to always keep the milk train on the down line of course !!

Regards adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Hi All, Very interesting photos of varying buffer heights but completely irrelevant to the question posed. To put the question in simpler terms in the hope someone will be able to understand it and be kind enough to provide an accurate answer I will post it in a different way. What is the centreline height of the Dapol milk tank buffer. An empty wagon should ride at 3' 6" buffer centre to rail whilst a full one with weakened springs will probably be as low as 3' 4.5"

If the scale height is in fact about 3'8.5" i.e. 25.9mm+ then Dapol have made another faux pas by fitting the LMS size wheel ( 3'6.5") to a GWR chassis intended for 3' 1.5" wheels. This would be entirely plausible as the chassis is basically the GWR design where it can be recognised but clearly fitted with the larger wheels in axleboxes approximating to the plainer BR version of the LMS design.

Hoping for a sensible answer Regards all adrianbs

Guest 838rapid

Guess the best reply is go buy one Adrian bs.

Understanding English is a skill I posess I help teach people with dyslexia,however I am bored of reading your self righteous rants complaining about everything Dapol are producing in the O Gauge range.

It's good to see that you still feel hell bent on being rude to me,glad your not dropping your stance of self righteousness about producing the perfect kit.

It's very obvious that all you want the information for is so you can rattle off more of your views about these wagons.

As previously stated it my railway and now my wagon,so unless someone else wants to buy one and obey your request then I am afraid you might not find out..

As an aside yes I did get to see the wagon that you bought,very nice and a good find.

Edited by 838rapid

Adrian old flower,

Many thanks for your input on this. I agree with you that they do not satisfy the criteria of Psalm 8, so neither of us will be acquiring an example, but our friend has invoked Rule 1. So, if he wishes to spend his money on them, then maybe we should just give up?

Now where is the next ABS kit? At least I know it has been properly researched and accurately cast.

Bill

Adrian old flower,

Many thanks for your input on this. I agree with you that they do not satisfy the criteria of Psalm 8, so neither of us will be acquiring an example, but our friend has invoked Rule 1. So, if he wishes to spend his money on them, then maybe we should just give up?

Now where is the next ABS kit? At least I know it has been properly researched and accurately cast.

Bill

the key word is kit .Kit ,kit ,kit that means you have to make it .I can make them to a professional standard but I know that many cant or wont i have made a decent living on that fact .So these 7 leaf clovers have their place that you have no right to mock or insult .Mr BS You are becoming your own joke mate .

Guest 838rapid

Well that's saved me a few Bob, I can't see any point in spending good money on these when they are a botch patch and bear no resemblance to any particular wagon,looks like no lessons have been learnt from the debarcle of the open wagons...

Back to looking at kit making instead...

Yet again here we go again..

Is it not your bedtime yet??

Yes I stand by what I wrote on post 14,however instead of listening to your constant tirade of moaning I decided to go and have a look at one with my own eyes,strange I have seen one and am happy with the model.

Part of being a decent balanced person is the right to change your mind as you see fit,this is a decision I have made,instead of moaning and trying to turn this into a personal attack on me( by the way I have reported you for your previous insults) why don't you just move on,your blatantly not going to buy an example so please stop trying to find further faults in the wagon and the personal insults pointed at me.If you persist in this nature the only thing I believe you will achieve is belittling yourself further.

By the way I have unblocked your comments so can see the detritus you are pointing at me.

Finally having found my apparent needed glasses,which the optician obviously missed as he wasn't being a key board warrior I measured the distance from the board to the centre of the buffer.

Keep guessing,also thank you for pointing out a deficiency with my Hymek.

Edited by 838rapid

Hi all

So when I buy my Dapol tanker I could if I so wish, change the wheels to lower the buffer height, add the solebar lettering and so end up with a slightly more accurate tank than the original and have the satisfaction of having done something to the model to make it a bit different from the ones in the shops without having spent hours building and painting a kit. I can live with that.

Ian

• Like 3

Hi Ianwales I look forward to seeing the end result, it is a rather expensive option but it is indeed your railway. Also, as we do not yet know the buffer height this might NOT be the lesser of two evils. Alfsboy may be quite happy for personal commercial reasons if Dapol models are made to current standards as I assume he will benefit from more customers asking him to build models from accurate kits. I suppose I should also be very happy as I will also be able to continue to sell kits to people who decide these RTR models are not for them. This will not please me that much, however, as I am trying to reduce my workload.

Dapol must be laughing all the way to the bank whilst they see ME being pilloried for pointing out THEIR errors, it will give them every incentive to carry on exactly as they have been

Thanks Mod4 for deleting the duplicate picture, I use the edit button all the time to edit minor spelling or grammatical mistakes but I could not get rid of the picture.

838rapid's complete volte-face did surprise me but,of course, it is his railway and his money. I think the venom of his subsequent remarks was somewhat excessive however. I am sorry his Hymek has a droopy buffer beam, if that IS the problem. He is obviously happy with the buffer height of his milk tank but I just wondered whether one of the two might be innacurate. The complete mix up by Dapol of the GWR and LMS designs could very easily have led to this mistake unless someone at Dapol had realised what would happen. I am certainly NOT spending money on one of these, particularly as most modellers appear to be perfectly happy in blissful ignorance and get quite upset when they discover the truth.

Regards all adrianbs

Hi Ianwales

Dapol must be laughing all the way to the bank whilst they see ME being pilloried for pointing out THEIR errors,

Regards all adrianbs

Hi Adrian

I for one don't like knowledgable people like yourselves been pilloried and for highlighting errors which I would be totally unaware of, but, at the end of the day it is my choice if I buy this tanker and it is someone else's choice if they don't because of the errors you have pointed out. I will be happy with being able to do "something" to this wagon just to make it a little different than the run of the mill and within my skill range.

Ian