Pig Lane or should it be "I am sorry"

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

What are you apologising for? It was your layout, it was exhibited and published. Tick - and it may have struck a chord with others. Imitation is and all that. Clearly a depot is a great way of showing off lots of locos in a small place, consistent with living in modern houses and particularly flats.

Far from being sorry, you might regard yourself as a leader of men!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What are you apologising for? It was your layout, it was exhibited and published. Tick - and it may have struck a chord with others. Imitation is and all that. Clearly a depot is a great way of showing off lots of locos in a small place, consistent with living in modern houses and particularly flats.

Far from being sorry, you might regard yourself as a leader of men!

Hi Ian

Leader of men....there are a lot of lost souls out there :)

For me both Pig Lane and Hanging Hill have been what I considered the highlight of a trainspotting trip, the shed visit. Of course a depot layout does mean that a modeller can display his/her locomotives, and many of us are locomotive modellers first, railway modellers second so depot layouts are ideal for that. I just feel that TMD layouts are today's Great Western Railway branch line terminus , lots of them and many to high standards but like many a GWR BLT was bypassed by me in the past because of their contents the same is being done by other modellers to motive power depots. A pity really as many GWR BLTs were good layouts. :)

Clive

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely bit of modelling. Locos are the right period and colour too, and some rare beauties can be found in there. Tody, we have never had it so good, just about everything you have bashed/converted/scratched is available RTR. Well done.

Stewart

Thank you Stewart.

Now might be timely to show some of the locos I built in my Pig Lane days.

post-16423-0-53239700-1350147635_thumb.jpg

A Ruston DS88, NER departmental locomotive number 84. This little fella runs on a Tenshodo motor bogie, it has two speeds go and one made famous in a song by Meatloaf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MFxcFofkY never mind it was a lot cheaper than http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1. The Big LMS 350 Jackshaft was made before I had even heard of Judith Edge Kits. The drive wheel of this class loco has the same number of spokes as the driving wheel and its diameter is the same as a tireless driving wheel. You should have seen the look of the shop keeper when I asked for 4 Romford axels and seven wheels :O

post-16423-0-23644600-1350148501_thumb.jpg

In this row of shunters resting for the weekend we have D2701 North British 200 hp 0-4-0 scratchbuilt, D2201 and D2281 Airfix Drewry 204 hp bodies on Triang Nellie chassis and D2591 a Hunslet 204 hp on a Mainline 03 chassis.

post-16423-0-27313300-1350148873_thumb.jpg

A Southern Maunsell 350 hp shunter. Note the drivers discussing that they will black this locomotive, not because it is from south of the Thames but it has no handrails so they can get in the cab.....nearly 20 years on and it still has no hand rails. :resent: The rebelious drivers are also homemade from Miliput. I got fed up with seeing the same few figures on everyone's layouts and had depleated my wargames armies of suitable figures for conversion for various club layouts so I made my own.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Some more of Ian's wonderful photos.

post-16423-0-21730200-1350160426_thumb.jpg

With all the glass of a ER shed interior detail was a must. The loco behind is D4502 master and slave, coupled cab to cab as there were when they were rebuilt. The donor locos were a Lima 09 for the master and a Hornby Doublo 0-6-0 for the slave.......the anger in a collectors face when I told him about the slave unit and that the box was at the local council tip. :no2:

post-16423-0-98469300-1350160750_thumb.jpg

Just ooooozzzzes Eastern Region.

post-16423-0-93565200-1350160884_thumb.jpg

The shed vist on these young lads big day out spotting. They are modelled on my best friends and me. the one in the shorts is Steve my brother who always had to tag along :mad:

post-16423-0-70174700-1350161096_thumb.jpg

Busy time on the fuel points.

post-16423-0-67350900-1350161147_thumb.jpg

Thank goodness we got rid of that lot...time for cup of tea :)

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

After seeing a single picture on another thread recently I was intrigued, I am glad you have started this thread and given us more to view, thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Thanks. Only a few more to post. I have had the slides ever since I collected them from Boots back in 1994, today while doing my weekly que in the bank I popped into a photographic shop and they put them on disc for me. They were taken to be shared so that is what I am doing. Oh for wide scale use of digital cameras and PCs back then.

post-16423-0-89081700-1350165307_thumb.jpg

Some vistors from other regions. The Bo-Bo type 3 is the Lima one with (I think) Westdale high level pipes. D6580 was the only green type 3 to have these pipes. I no longer have this loco, it was sold in a downsizing of loco stock a few years ago. The Bo-Bo type 2 will appear again so I will give details on this machine then. The brake tender is an ABS kit, the best brake tender kit on the market, with Gresley bogies far better than I have seen on any LNER coach kit.

post-16423-0-75390700-1350165858_thumb.jpg

Just a nice view of the layout. The brake tender in this photo is a Mopok vacformed body. It has a wooden floor. It was too tall when I first brought it had I had to cut about 3mm from the bottom of the body. The tank wagons used at this time are the Hornby models. Can any one explain why when viewing my present layout and train of these are on it they look more like the real thing than the very good and detailed Bachmann wagons? I Know the Bachmann ones are better but the Hornby ones look right on the layout. :scratchhead:

post-16423-0-60584600-1350166289_thumb.jpg

A quick mention about the tanks in the photo, they are the Kibri model with a new bung wall around them. I put a higher safety rail around them as the HO one looked too low. I also replaced the steeps with ones that were at a spacing that looked more suitable for 4mm scale. The pumps outside was not BR practice, normally these would be in a small building. Further research showed that they did not look anything like a pair of ER tanks. :nono:

post-16423-0-71137500-1350166598_thumb.jpg

This photo appeared on the front of the supplement so may look familiar to some people. The shot replicates a photo of Shirebrook shed by Ian Futers in Rex Kennedy's " Diesel and Electrics on Shed, Volume Two-Eastern Region". I was asked where did I get the dimensions for the shed building from, I was showing the chap asking Ian Futers' photo telling him it was as good as you could get for making a 4mm model, when a voice from the crowd said "I took that photo". Panic now get out this hole Mortimore went through my most used side of my brain. Equally as fast the sensible side of brain trust my right hand out in an act of friendship and as we shock hands I thanked him for taking the photo. Ian then went on to say how the drivers that day moved the engines for the photos. Weren't some depot visits great. If you have the book both the real location and the model have their clocks at ten minutes past four.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Clive,

Stop being so modest.......

For anyone who is old enough to remember - this was the start of the mould breaking attitude and approach to 'Modern Image' layouts.

Yes - it was out on the exhibition circuit

Yes - it was in the model railway press

Yes - it was a big influence on a lot of the budding modellers at the tiem.

Yes - it broke new ground in 'Modern Image' modelling.

No - I don't have any photos of it!

Thinking back - that's a surprise to me.

Then I remembered - I didn't have a digital camera and I was always tight about printing off real film stock!

If I remember rightly - Clive has a lot more photos though.......

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

post-16423-0-13411400-1350167925_thumb.jpg

Not only did Mr Futers have luck with the locos being moved for him but so did Mr Metcalfe on his visit to Pig Lane, the shed forman managed to get the passed firemen dispossing of locos to form up this line up of English Electric types. Left to right, Lima, Triang (modified), Hornby, homemade, Lima. All were transferred to Hanging Hill, the type 2 is part of a major renewal programme of sctrachbuilt Baby Deltics, the Type 3 has been re-chassised with a Lima one and is waiting a body up grade, and the Deltic is on the work bench as part a tiro being made scale length.

post-16423-0-08575000-1350168528_thumb.jpg

When first built I had a vision of making the layout multi regional, but as time went by I slowly replaced the generic buildings with ones based on ER practice. I still had loads of off region locos. Well here is a batch of ones that seemed to have climbed over Hadrian's Wall. The Clayton was still needing numbering, I think it did get numbered as a Tinsley loco in the end.

post-16423-0-04817200-1350169158_thumb.jpg

It is a pity that the lubricating oil tank wagon is blocking the view of the Hunslet 153 hp tram loco D2951, another one of my own efforts. Otherwise what a lovely photo.

post-16423-0-41490100-1350169380_thumb.jpg

Pig lane was never liucky enough to have the Bachmann or Hornby 08s so it had to do with Horby Doublo/Wrenn and Lima 350 hps. I have withdrawn all of these from regular service. The Lima loco in the photo, D3850 is still on the books at Hanging Hill. As a trainspotter it was resident at Bedford my local station and at some time it was given the chalked on name of Steve same as my brother. Two reasons for keeping her.

post-16423-0-89173300-1350169759_thumb.jpg

A Sulzer Bo-Bo D5278 returning to the LMR. This is the Hornby model with a Craftsman conversion kit skillfully added. I saw this on John Dutfield's secondhand shelf. What mad person would want to get rid of this model I thought as I passed the cash over the counter? Well the model maker who done so was our Colin http://www.rmweb.co..../user/63-colin/ It remained a favortite of mine but did fall victim of my loco stock downsizing. I had 30 odd BR type 2s and had save some that would be seen on the ER, sorry Colin D5278 was not chosen over a Bachy pair I kept. I also got rid of my 3 Hornby 25/3 conversions as well. Who ever ended up with Colin's class 25, if a member please let us know how she is doing?

post-16423-0-31344900-1350170649_thumb.jpg

A diesel depot cannot go without a photo of a Brush type 4 1/2.

post-16423-0-46131700-1350170886_thumb.jpg

I started this thread with a shot of a loco coming on shed, well to finish the photo section a Type 2 leaving for its next duty, a class 1 passenger tain to a destination on the London Midland Region. I will post how I operated Pig Lane just like the real thing.

A big thank to Ian Metcalfe for taking the time to spend a morning in my back garden with his camera all those years ago. Cheers mate.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Wow It looks like the layout was a beauty!

Was this a regular on the exhibision circuit back in the day?

Tom

Cheers Tom

As Phil (Scottish Modeller) has mentioned it did do a few shows, mainly local to Essex. The furthest it got was Bolton (and what a great weekend that was).

Hi Clive,

Stop being so modest.......

For anyone who is old enough to remember - this was the start of the mould breaking attitude and approach to 'Modern Image' layouts.

Yes - it was out on the exhibition circuit

Yes - it was in the model railway press

Yes - it was a big influence on a lot of the budding modellers at the tiem.

Yes - it broke new ground in 'Modern Image' modelling.

No - I don't have any photos of it!

Thinking back - that's a surprise to me.

Then I remembered - I didn't have a digital camera and I was always tight about printing off real film stock!

If I remember rightly - Clive has a lot more photos though.......

Thanks

Hi Phil

I took a few snaps of it but they are no where as good as Ian's photos so will not be shown on here, plus it means I have to find them.

I didn't think I was part of any ground breaking thing. I wanted to model what I trainspotted, so I followed Mike Cole's example and built my own. Mike Cole was building diesels back in the 1960s when everyone else was mourning the passing of steam. Another great infulence on me was Kim Fulbrook, some might know his name for some fansatic railway photos in the 80s and 90s. Kim was a member of the Witham club when I first joined and he had scratch built a Class 15, a Class 47, a Class 105 unit and a Class 100 DMU all from plastic card. A material I was use to using for making wargames tanks. Another member of the club was (and still is) Pete Hayward. Despite being a steam man he had done a few diesel conversions of RTR staock, a Toffee Apple type 2, a skinhead Sulzer type 2 and a split headcode type 3 long before these sort of conversions appeared in the model press. When building Pig Lane I was able to pick the brains of Ian Metcalfe who at the time was building Pengwynn Crossing. That was a ground breaking layout.

• Like 1

You Clive were mainly responsible for swaying me towards BR Modelling mate so for that I thank you!!!

I have been building my MPD for around 4-5 years now and have enjoyed every bit so no apology needed my friend as your layuots and modelling have

allways been an inspiration.

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Once again - Clive is being too modest....

Along with Monty Wells, Mike Edge and Tim Shackleton he was ont of the pioneers of the renaissance of diesel modelling.

So - because he won't blow his own trumpet - I will........

Thanks

Hi Phil

I am not is the same league as those gents, they are premier league. I am Blue Square Bet Conference South league (well that is the divison Chelmsford is in).

I never met Monty Wells, I wish I had. He always seemed to get published an article on the loco I had just made the month after I had finished. :rolleyes:

As for Mike, when is he going to make a kit of a shunter that I do not have.....what is that he has.....Ok one day I will buy the Ruston and Hornsby 165DS 0-4-0DM, they were Stratford locos. :)

Tim is another person I have not as yet met, I would love to discuss model diesels with him.

Another influence was Peter Kazmierczak, his series of articles in the Model Railway Constructor were informative and showed us average Joe's what could be done. He had a small depot layout before I built Pig lane, anyone remember what it was called?

Thanks Phil for your kind words.

Clive

• Like 2

Hello Clive

Where in Essex may I ask did it go? as being from Basildon Essex and being a modller since the early 90's I may of even seen it, sadly my memory isnt that good that I can't remember every layout I have seen at every show..

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Hello Clive

Where in Essex may I ask did it go? as being from Basildon Essex and being a modller since the early 90's I may of even seen it, sadly my memory isnt that good that I can't remember every layout I have seen at every show..

Tom

Great model and I think I still have the model rail feature.

Thanks Tom and Ess1

I didn't make a list of all the shows it went to and like you Tom my memory of where I went with what layout is not very good. Its first outing was in Maldon 1991. It appeared at Chelmsford twice, Wickford, Witham (club open day) and Burnham (Mangapps). It appeard in the magazine and only went to one show after that, Colchester. It had gone into retirement so for the show guide I wrote like Frank Sinatra it has come out of retirement. He died between me writing it and the show. :no2:

• RMweb Premium

You Clive were mainly responsible for swaying me towards BR Modelling mate so for that I thank you!!!

I have been building my MPD for around 4-5 years now and have enjoyed every bit so no apology needed my friend as your layuots and modelling have

allways been an inspiration.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony

Do you have a layout thread on here ?