Point Motors for Non-DCC

GWR175

Hi,

I currently remodelling parts of my model railway and considering, for the first time, installing point motors. Currently I am operating on Non-DCC (Analogue) but I may change to full DCC in the future when I can afford it. What I’m looking for is a point motor that is easy to wire and can be converted to DCC operation easily, also it has to be compatible with the Hornby R965 standard controller.

Any help appreciated,

Bradley

• RMweb Gold

Basically, there are 2 types of point machines, solenoid (Hornby, Peco, Seep) and motor (Cobalt, Tortoise). Solenoids operate with ac, motors tend to be dc. Both types can be powered by dcc accessory decoders, but the limiting factor is your controller which has a 16V ac output which is more suited to solenoid type motors

Being brutally honest, unless you're automating points with route-setting on DCC, I think you'll find it no help giving each one an accessory decoder. Even though we run DCC at my folks' place, the points are all solenoids on a guagemaster CDU (capacitor discharge unit). This also keeps things simple, with the possible exception of running 25 yards of wire when you put them on the opposite side.

The actual wiring of the whole affair is dead easy though. 16v ac from the controller into the guagemaster CDU. CDU output (single wire) to the centre of however many centre-off 2-way non-latching toggle switches. Switch contacts to either side of the solenoid, common return to the CDU. Wash, rinse, repeat. Fit to control panel, sit back and play god.

Archived