How far can I take modeller's license before it starts to get stupid?

MattWallace

Hi all,

When I started my layout, the only locos I had (and indeed still have!) were a GBRf '66 and a Europorte '92. Given that Europorte are now effectively part of GBRf, I thought that this would be really good, however I'm starting to wonder if I've made myself a bit too limited with regard to rolling stock/TOCs.

When I got back into modelling just over a year ago it's fair to say that I didn't care about prototype, however it's now becoming more and more important to me as I realise that I don't have room for tail-chasing and operations takes precedence over speed due to space constraints.

I know that there is obviously the "artistic license" that so many of us use on a daily basis to justify certain aspects of our layouts, and I'm certainly not a rivet counter (yet!!) however I would be very interested to know if there are any areas in which the major Freight-Haulage TOCs are all "visitors" to a freight depot.

I'd love to start running some '60s and even possibly some '70s in both EWS and FL liveries, but I'm wondering at what point it stops being "artistic license" and just becomes stupid... ;)

Thanks in advance,

Matt

There are some privately operated terminals that are served by multiple FOCs, for example Felixstowe's terminals see DB Shenker, GBRf and Freightliner. Ones owned by the FOC though tend to only be used by that FOC, despite theoretically other ones having access.

Possibly more relevant is what does your terminal do, and what are the right loco's for the trains that call, for example if it's intermodal then your Freightliner service might be a 70, but a 60 on a DB Schenker service is fairly unlikely (far more likely to be a 66)...

I would say you can come up with some fairly bizarre ideas in the modern period, because stranger things happen than maybe the BR period.

For instance who would have thought colas would be running timber trains on the heathfield line ?

A way to justify different locos at one fuel point is set up an independent maintenance company...

Go down the route of " company A have won a contract to....." and then justify it based on that.

• RMweb Gold

Power stations and ports (not intermodal traffic at the latter in this example) are very good for different FOCs running in - not at all unusual to see three companies operating in the same location in those examples. Open access inland 'ports' are also likely candidates.

And you can always assume a spot of inter-company loco hire if all else fails in the ideas department.

Thanks all.

The layout is a small (I can fit possibly two intermodals in each of the four sidings!) freight terminal (although it has yet to be granted a license by the purchasing authorities for a crane!):

7935713898_2f6788c5ff.jpg

It's good to know that I could run multiple types of loco and operator if I wanted to - I'll start saving for a few more locos... ;)

Thanks,

Matt

the gbrf 92 was present at peterborough shed (gbrf) which in non electrified when the 70's were there aswell route learning for freightliner. EWS/DB 66's and 67 pass on a daily basis too. 60's were common but are now much rarer as they are concentrated on tanker trains. 73's 20's and even 55022 have all been shedded at GBRf/euroports peterborough depot in the last year. ill post pics for you to look at later when i get home. the ONLY limitation is your imagination.

the gbrf 92 was present at peterborough shed (gbrf) which in non electrified when the 70's were there aswell route learning for freightliner. EWS/DB 66's and 67 pass on a daily basis too. 60's were common but are now much rarer as they are concentrated on tanker trains. 73's 20's and even 55022 have all been shedded at GBRf/euroports peterborough depot in the last year. ill post pics for you to look at later when i get home. the ONLY limitation is your imagination.

Thanks Dan, that would be awesome.

Freightliner 66 refuelling at DBS depot peak forest, same scenario at didcot . DBS 66 refuelling at ' one' depot Norwich crown point. All photos I have seen....

Have a look at redbrook in the layouts section, the chap there is pretty good at imagining scenarios in the modern age

• RMweb Premium

Infrastructure/engineering trains and yards can have multiple TOC's

Pictures of Whitemoor show EWS/DBS, GBRf, FL, DRS with shunters provided by Hunslet and Harry Needle.

Loco classes - 08, 20, 37, 57, 60, 66, 73. Not sure if 70's have made it there yet due to local traction knowledge. Modeller's licence could include the odd yellow 31 powered test train. Colas may have appeared dragging on-track plant.

Kingmoor - same TOC list above plus Colas - drop the 08, but include 47, 56, 70 and 92.

DRS tends to be short term hire to the other TOC's, but it does justify more liveries!

As mentioned above, it does tend to be one depot per TOC with odd interlopers, but yards/terminals can be a free for all.

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT: It's your train set.

And here's me worrying about my blue post-TOPS Class 03 on a setup that is otherwise BR steam/green diesel. I think my answer is going to be to leave it blue but give it a pre-tops number, so at least it could belong to the late 60s.

Amazing how these things can start to niggle you after a while.

• RMweb Gold

And here's me worrying about my blue post-TOPS Class 03 on a setup that is otherwise BR steam/green diesel. I think my answer is going to be to leave it blue but give it a pre-tops number, so at least it could belong to the late 60s.

Amazing how these things can start to niggle you after a while.

I can do a post TOPS 03 as well

post-7024-0-73263200-1350338883_thumb.jpg

Mainline version purchased by my lovely lady yonks ago.

If you read your modellers license terms carefully, clause 16 subclause 3 gives you the right to tell the rivet counters where to stick it, the "it" of course being whatever you choose, such as a complete set of fire irons . It's your railway, and I'd suggest that the ultimate test is that of realism of the scene depicted, not slavish adherence to some supposed geographical location.

Dennis

Having said that, If someone is asking whether a particular loco or stock combination 'should' appear together on the same layout, for reasons of either location or chronology, they are obviously concerned enough to want to get it right.

At least if you know what went with what, you feel better about breaking the 'rules' and can always then find a justification if you need one. In my view that's better than just saying it's your layout and you can do what you want.

I can do a post TOPS 03 as well

post-7024-0-73263200-1350338883_thumb.jpg

Mainline version purchased by my lovely lady yonks ago.

Yes 96701, that's the one I have. It's a bit noisy but not a bad runner. But I think I'm going to have to change that number to pre-tops!

Guest Belgian

And don't forget you have to renew your Modeller's Licence annually from the Department for Transport (DaFT) as the government decided if they couldn't renationalise the railways they'd nationalise the model railways instead . . . :O

JE

Good work 96701, mix it up ! Must be a wormhole in time between the blue 47 and EWS 60 in that photo ...

Like I said it's easy in the modern era ! Gb 73 on EWS ballast wagons , suits you sir !

Harder in BR blue days - deltic on the west highland - no way.

I'm willing to mix it up but I do keep sensible stock behind each loco, unlike some ' serious' modellers in RM this month who have a 70s BR container train behind an EWS 66...

Good work 96701, mix it up ! Must be a wormhole in time between the blue 47 and EWS 60 in that photo ...

Like I said it's easy in the modern era ! Gb 73 on EWS ballast wagons , suits you sir !

Harder in BR blue days - deltic on the west highland - no way.

I'm willing to mix it up but I do keep sensible stock behind each loco, unlike some ' serious' modellers in RM this month who have a 70s BR container train behind an EWS 66...

Archived