Cheltenham 24 / 25 Oct 2009

• RMweb Gold

I'll be there demoing on both days, probably this year working on AC electric locos.

As I said on the old forum:

We organise a curry night and get together on the Saturday night of Cheltenham shows, all are welcome to join us. We have a great little curry house that we always go to.

Some idea of numbers in advance would be good.

Andi

We organise a curry night and get together on the Saturday night of Cheltenham shows, all are welcome to join us. We have a great little curry house that we always go to.

Some idea of numbers in advance would be good.

Andi

Well Andi, you can count me in and the other operator from HHC, only 'cos he has no choice in the matter as we are travelling up in my car ;) ;)

I wonder if the good Captain Kernow will join us so we can discuss tactics for our forthcoming invasion/annexation merger of with WAG......

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the good Captain Kernow will join us so we can discuss tactics for our forthcoming invasion/annexation merger of with WAG......

Yes please, I have received signals from the other two in the squadron confirming their desire to sup at Mr Dell's curry house, so that's another 3 please, Andi!

• RMweb Premium

Went today and enjoyed it , a good selection of layouts in different time scales and track standards ,

managed to find and chat to a few members of this site including the good Captain Kernow , I hope I did'nt upset him when I told him that growing up in the area of his creation I never found any signs of railway life there . smile.gif

All in all a nice day out , very friendly and enough people not to be overcrowded , nice refresments , and a credit to the organisers .

Also visited this afternoon and would recommend a visit tomorrow if you are in the area. Some excellent modelling and operation which was much appreciated.

Folly Lane and Abbotswood Junction showed me how far DCC sound equipped locos have advanced.

Bleakhouse Road was superb.

Had a nice day today on my first time at this show, Hedges Hill behaved pretty well considering. Most of the stock behaved toobiggrin.gif

Said hi to many people today aswell as lightening my wallet. It was a really good show - thanks to the guys who put it together, I'll be back in future years

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

Well it happened...

It didnt feel like Abbotswood Jct would be in any state at all the previous weekend, this was its first trip out

Plus points?

The layout constuction proved itself robust, it transported and erected with no problems at all

The wiring was sound

The locos behaved well

Lots of positive comments about atmosphere, scenery, stock and signalling

ECoS and Dynamis worked well together

Negative points?

Voltage drop

It took us until Saturday lunch time before we could run any semblence of a service

The pointwork on the front board threw a hissy fit on Sunday and refused to make contact

Obstinate semaphores that refused to operate although they were all wired up etc

We need at least 3 if not 4 operators

So there we are - some lessons learnt, but we came away heartened by the kind words from many visitors, although I think the one who likened us to Pendon may have been stretching a point....

We also strengthened old friendships and made new friends - thanks to all the RMWebbers who helped in the run up and over the weekend, and also those who came and said hello - you all know who you are!!

Phil Bullock

Had a great weekend, some excellent layouts as usual, Weston Mouth especially floated my boat being blue diesels and small space layout. Folly Lane and Abbotswood sound meant the hall often sounded like Toton on a Saturday afternoon! Great to chat to the other RM Webbers, Mike rang me earlier on to say total attendance was just under 650, and they had made just over ??1000 for the worthy cause that is CLIC.

• RMweb Premium

Had a really good time with Weston. Always amuses me to see folk's reactions to the layout. It's not everyone's cup of tea but we had some nice comments. All in all I thought a very good little show. Very friendly and a good mix for everyone to find something of interest.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few of my photos taken at the Cheltenham show last weekend, where we all had a really good time and many thanks to Mike and his team for organising such a friendly event.

Neal (Calnefoxile) at the controls of Hedges Hill Cutting:

post-57-12566408755576_thumb.jpg

Ullypug and friend on Weston-super-Mare (WC&PR):

post-57-12566409045019_thumb.jpg

John F (Re6/6) in charge of BHR:

post-57-12566409615477_thumb.jpg

Ullypug again!

post-57-12566410422704_thumb.jpg

One of Andrew's delightful railcars on the WC&PR:

post-57-12566411276468_thumb.jpg

West Harptree - 3mm layout by Mike Corp and Nick Smith:

post-57-12566411865445_thumb.jpg

post-57-12566412011832_thumb.jpg

post-57-12566412146273_thumb.jpg

A busy time on Abbotswood Junction, with Phil busily attending to something at the back of the layout:

post-57-12566412615059_thumb.jpg

It's that man again!

post-57-12566412987796_thumb.jpg

Brian Harrap and Re6/6 discussing what heinous breaches of the Captain's Operating Procedures they can commit next!....

post-57-12566413403956_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Captain

A pleasure to make your acquaintance sir!! Cotswold line is still double track here so no need for your prototypical talents just yet.

Judging by the blurring and James's intense activity I think I was the fastest moving thing on the layout at that time - but Sunday was better than Saturday!

Is always a friendly show and I would like to echo what has already been said - a credit to Mike and co.

Only had time for a quick wander round , I guess that is the penalty of exhibiting. Will take inspiration from other layouts featured here to raise our scenic standards

Cheers

Phil

Archived