Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

That looks great Rick, rather than recharging/ replacing the batteries. Have you thought about using a redundant mobile phone transformer or a (at great expense to the management) New transformer from Dick Smith. I bought one for about 30dollars. You also have a variable voltage so combined with the GofW bulbs you can turn down the voltage and adding a Pot into the circuit you could change the intensity and maybe extend the life of the bulbs.

I've always just used the cheapie transformers from sets and the like that always seem to accumulate with modellers or on ebay. That gives you an adjustable voltage and usually smoothed DC. The smoothed DC makes bulbs last a lot longer.

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress with the return of platform furniture and passengers. The first two show the station lighting turned on, the second includes detail of the canopy weathering and the last also shows the new barrow crossing at the up end of Treheligan station and the recently added oil staining between the tracks.

post-3305-127340965397_thumb.jpg

post-3305-127340959069_thumb.jpg

post-3305-127340953058_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest 34008Padstow

Loving the shots of the hsts, what sets do you have if you dont mind me asking

• RMweb Premium

Loving the shots of the hsts, what sets do you have if you dont mind me asking

Two full sets. The "Merlin" livery is an older-style Hornby one with the pancake motor. It has two whole fishing weights added as ballast in the motor coach and with that lot it runs quite well towing 8 trailers and the dummy; there is an extra TS to make up for the lack of a TGS which was never released in that livery. The IC-livery set is mostly the new Hornby though the TGS in that livery was copied from an earlier Lima design and doesn't quite match the rest of the set. With the new design of power car towing the 2+8 formation is no problem at all.

The sets usually run complete or occasionally in mixed livery formations.

Just a suggestion, Rick: you could use an IC liveried TGS in the FGW set. I know it destroys the unity of the livery but I was surprised to find that they weren't repainted as whole sets, so there could be mixed liveries within a set.

I have a bit of video I took in 1999 at Reading, of two HSTs. One was entirely in FGW "Merlin" livery, except for the leading power car which was in IC livery. The other was entirely in IC livery except for the leading power car, which was in Virgin livery! They should have swapped the power cars!!

Back in 1986 I saw many piebald sets of mixed blue/grey and Intercity "Executive" liveries.

EDIT: Forgot to say your layout and photography are superb, as usual. :)

• RMweb Premium

The other thing I have been tempted by is to obtain a "fag packet" TGS though I don't think they ran alongside IC livery vehicles at any time. I agree there have been many years of the HST lives during which piebald sets have been run. That has included a couple (at least) of tri-liveried sets with IC / GWT trailers and at least one VT power car all in the same formation. GNER liveried sets have also worked into Cornwall on summer Saturday Newquay trains but I can't justify an entire 2+8 for one trip a year!

Currently the Merlin trailers, which I think are the best all-round representation of the Mk3 coaches, are parked outside between the Merlin and IC dummy cars as a handy "push-along" train which will have head or tail lights showing for photographic purposes. I might swap the "A" position TS for the IC TGS.

Both sets have been run at the same time as shown in the video earlier in this thread.

• RMweb Premium

I have at last got the first batch of platform lights working in addition to those in the station building. So here, under nothing but model lighting (station, platform and train), are a couple of images taken after dark tonight. No daylight, floodlights, strips, flash or anything of that sort .....

post-3305-127349464191_thumb.jpg

post-3305-127349470951_thumb.jpg

post-3305-127349477491_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
Do you actually get any sleep, Rick???

I know someone around here who suggests that I get too much on occasions :rolleyes: ;)

But seriously. Fitting all the platform lighting took perhaps an hour and wiring up so far - that's 7 lamps - another 30 minutes. Fitting the lighting inside the station building would have taken no more than an hour. Then 30 minutes with the camera and as much again transferring the images to the computer and then uploading.

Perhaps 3 or 4 hours work in all spread over a few days in short sessions.

There are another 15 or so platform lights to be wired, though all are fitted and only need to be connected up. I reckon that's two 1-hour sessions. Then three street lights on the short length of roadway and possibly one or two lights inside the pub at the top of the hill ..... this hobby never ends does it?

Perhaps I'll abandon any hope of sleeping right here and now B)

That's the one, Neil, so if you popped in after dark again it wouldn't be "after dark" any more cool.gif

I thought I recognised it. Light would have quite a good effect where your layout is.

Hopefully my next trip will be "after dark" so I can see your lighting effects.

cheers

Neil

• RMweb Premium

The first of Kernow / Dapol's weathered "silver bullets" have arrived here. More are due later in the year. In common with other members I must record my impression of the finished on these wagons which is quite superb. Not only the best factory-applied weathering I can recall seeing but the "spill" is clearly hand-applied and is unique to every wagon. Full marks all round and I look forward to the next tranche of these with wiped-clean data panels later.

On the acceptance run behind a weathered 66511

post-3305-127364637374_thumb.jpg

And arriving at Ponsangwyn Yard

post-3305-127364643942_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Rick,

Looks like you have been busy, those station lights do look good.cool.gif I really like those not so silver bullets as you say they have got to be some of the best weathered RTR I have seen, glad to hear they are bringing out more, you need more than 3.biggrin.gif I am quite tempted to get a few myself, I used to see them at Eastleigh a fair bit on the Quidhampton train,

BRMA at Endeavour Hills Saturday if you are interested.

Cheers Peter,

• RMweb Premium

Booked elsewhere on Saturday Peter but thanks. Several family members are getting older including me so it's a big day out. If you are thinking of getting some bullets get onto Kernow's site ASAP as they are selling faster than hot cakes on a winter's day! They're not that cheap but as you see they are worth it.

Booked elsewhere on Saturday Peter but thanks. Several family members are getting older including me so it's a big day out. If you are thinking of getting some bullets get onto Kernow's site ASAP as they are selling faster than hot cakes on a winter's day! They're not that cheap but as you see they are worth it.

No worries mate, will catch up at a later date, hope you have a good day.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Gwiwer

As a long term resident of south west Cornwall [arrived Christmas 1972] I have to applaud you on the excellent layout you have created of my adopted home. Particularly the shot of the 153 coming out of the tunnel. We often catch the Penzance to St Ives train at the lelant stop normally a 153 with art work similar to the one shown in the photo and the beach you have created reminds me of Carbis Bay.

Regards Mike

• RMweb Premium

With respect to events on the Brockenhurst - Lymington branch today I have used a little modeller's licence to re-create those events in 00 on the far side of the World. In an ideal life I would be riding the branch today as this month should have been our UK holiday. That was deferred because of my illness (not good, but finally on the road to full recovery) and an invitation to show some work at the YMR / KMRC Show in September (very good - see you there).

To represent the two 3CIG units which are making their very last runs today I have used two Bachmann 3CEP units leaving out the trailer composites. A copy of the headboard was attached to the green unit. Treheligan station doubles as Brockenhurst as it has four platform faces and here we see the green set in the down loop (and with a crowd around the front end) waiting to connect out of the down Voyager. The b/g CEP waits in the up loop in case of need and will be coupled (on my layout at least) to run a "Farewell" 6CEP final trip. The liveries are not quite correct but are the closest I have in RtR.

post-3305-127450147182_thumb.jpg

The green machine, complete with headboard for the day, attracts the expected attention on the branch service.

post-3305-127450136818_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the front of the unit which is (headboard aside) straight out of the box. Bachmann doesn't include an option to display 97 so we shall have to make do with 4.

post-3305-127450140332_thumb.jpg

The b/g unit in service as it comes around the curve past the farm. My Modeller's Licence includes a derogation to run these units without the need to install a third rail for current collection!

post-3305-127450153847_thumb.jpg

In a scene which you won't witness on the Lymington branch both units pass in front of the phtographer's gallery

post-3305-127450160776_thumb.jpg

The green unit seen running through open countryside

post-3305-127450167264_thumb.jpg

And in a nod to Lymington itself here is the green machine pausing at Penhayle Bay and overlooking the water's edge and small boats.

post-3305-127450172182_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Rick,

They look great, love the headboard.biggrin.gif I am pretty sure my brother (yellowvanman) will be out on the line today.

I was over there in Feb for my brothers 40th and managed to get a ride to Lymington and back, we went out a couple of times to take pics, only saw the blue grey one though. Hope you don't mind but here is a pic.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-127450601939_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And the very last one of all .....

th_MOV01692.jpg

Among other things this shows that the lights do work in the Bachmann CEPs when they are misformed (as 3-car units), that there is always some idiot on the wrong side of the tracks and the fact that at a reasonable speed it takes almost 2 minutes to complete a circuit of my layout. It's also almost dark so the "country" sections are rather indistinct.

• Like 4

Love that video, Rick. I could almost hear the whine of the traction motors then! I know that the Bachmann units produce lovely track sounds quite naturally, even on my currently very short shuttle run but that sounded really great on your extended run.

As to the formations; as long as the coaches remain in the correct orientation in relation to the power car, they will work in any combination of 2, 3 or4 coaches - and probably 5 or more if anyone cares to try it (eg, DMBS + TSK + TSK + TCK + TCK + DMBS (dummy) ). I can't vouch for the power consumption or power drain on a decoder for DCC purposes, though.

They do run very well in multiple, both on DC and on DCC. Your video proves that perfectly.

• RMweb Gold

Love the final trip of the 3-CEP pictures and am very impressed with your layout.

The lights you have on Treheligan station platforms do they work and did you make these, if not which company makes them?

• RMweb Premium

The lights all work - see post 84 where the pictures were taken at night and the only lighting is from the platform, station and train. Inside the station building and beneath the canopy they are run from a battery connected to 10 grain of wheat bulbs which are secured in and around the building. That came from eBay in a job lot of "junk" about 5 years ago and I have no idea whether it was a commercial item or home-made.

The platform and street lights are sourced from an eBay store, user name "everydaygoodz" which I have used as a satisfied customer on a number of occasions. They don't seem to be branded. That store has a huge range of similar items. Those lights run from the mains supply as they are all wired back to a transformer on 12Vdc.