Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

Loved the Preservation pics Rick, seems we've both done them now, only hopefully my Pencarne will be sold once Steve Flint has been up in a fortnight. then I can start my new roundy roundy project. 

Enjoy running what you like, all the pics are good from any era on your Layout, I'm just downloading a couple more Videos, one a Railfreight 37 and the other a Banger Blue 33 from 1977.

• Like 2

Rick,

I have enormously enjoyed your adventures with Penhayle Bay and am sad to read of this lovely line's pending closure.  It has been an inspiring thread to follow - your modelling skills, imagination and knowledge are absolutely first rate.  I very much look forward to following your future project(s).

All the best to you and your wife with your move.

Mark 

• RMweb Premium

Rick,

I have enormously enjoyed your adventures with Penhayle Bay and am sad to read of this lovely line's pending closure.  It has been an inspiring thread to follow - your modelling skills, imagination and knowledge are absolutely first rate.  I very much look forward to following your future project(s).

All the best to you and your wife with your move.

Mark 

Thank you very much Mark.

There are weeks and a few months yet to come of course but already some rolling stock is sorted for sale and either has already or will soon make its final run here.  

If I have managed along the way to inspire anyone, to grab their attention and to show a little of the skills I have taught myself then that is very satisfying.  None of us knows what we can achieve until we set out to try.  Even the greatest modellers were once beginners.  Penhayle Bay started as nothing more than an oval of track placed on the dining table.  It grew from there and those skills others speak of were self-taught; the basics came from reading but the great majority simply by trial and error.  The journey of a lifetime starts with a single step.  I encourage everyone with any level of interest to give it a go, and go one step at a time into that great unknown of discovering what they can do and what brings them enjoyment and satisfaction.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

***** SATURDAY 15th OCTOBER *****

Anyone within reach is invited to come and enjoy Penhayle Bay between 2 - 6pm.  

I can provide address and directions for anyone who requires them.  Hint - you will need to be within reach of Melbourne, Australia ;)

This will be one of the last opportunities to see this layout in operation.  I know the date clashes with a nearby BRMA meeting and I have no desire to detract from that in any way but I have few options as I work most weekends.  

As usual for these events I ask that anyone interested PM me in advance as I need some idea of likely numbers.  Tea, coffee and nibbles provided.  

For anyone interested but unable to manage this date I shall arrange at least two more open days one of which will be the closing-down gala when "anything goes".  I can sometimes be available on weekdays for private viewings as well - again please contact me in advance to confirm available dates and times.

Surplus and retired rolling stock will be available for sale.  I don't have a full list as it is being added to regularly.  Most will be offered unboxed and some will carry my weathering.

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

I will be flying home that day so will try and make the next one.

Cheers Peter.

PS sun is shining in Scotland today it we'd nice yesterday too while checking out Edinburgh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Safe travels home Peter.  

You are one of the few who is close enough to be able to pop in any time.  Just give me a call to make sure I'm home first ;)

I'll be attending the BRMA meeting, particularly as it is Rob's first meeting as host, and also because it is local to me. 

Thanks for the invitation, and I will try to get there for the next one.

• RMweb Premium

When you are back in Blighty, and have built your new layout, will there be a similar open day? Perhaps where we can "bring a loco"?

I would certainly hope so.  That might be some time off yet but I have two or three ideas in mind for a new project.  What gets built will depend upon our circumstances but what and where ever that is there will be a place for RMwebbers to share and enjoy.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man give up his layout for his wife.

Not too sure I could follow your example.  Hopefully in my case the choice will never have to be made.

Anyway good luck with the move.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm now if I could just come over from NZ! Sad to hear the layout will come under the hammer, will you be keeping all of the structures? And also, any modernish rolling stock up for sale?

Hi - there will be some "modern-ish" rolling stock for sale in due course.  I'll try to cobble a list together next week when I have some days rostered off work though any list might be added to as the inevitable approaches.  On the whole I shall be keeping anything which ran up to the mid 1970s though not the entire fleet of Mk1 coaches, some which ran into the 1980s and some favourites which are more recent.  That leaves some Mk1 coaches, a selection of freight wagons and multiple units and some more recent locomotives to be reallocated.  One or two items will be offered for "spares or repairs".  

• RMweb Premium

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man give up his layout for his wife.

Not too sure I could follow your example.  Hopefully in my case the choice will never have to be made.

Anyway good luck with the move.

No contest!  I appreciate the sentiments, thank you, but the layout has always been in effect a joint effort.  Whilst I built it more or less single-handed my wife has had quite significant artistic and creative input.  She only gave permission for the line to pass her study window on the grounds that she stipulated what was in view - that is the farm scene and the church on the hillside.  She named the large station at Treheligan during its construction and for which I briefly had the working name of Harlyn Road.  I then learned that there already was an O-gauge layout by that name so my junction station was nameless until she christened it.  

I have always lived in the knowledge that the layout would not last forever.  Being built outside it has had a fair number of weather-related issues but has survived them all.  The boards rest on the fence between us and the neighbour however meaning any time that fence needed replacing the layout would have been at risk.  In the event it's closing before the neighbour has bothered me about the need to renew the fence!   I'm sure there must be (or must have been) modellers who chose their hobby above all else but I am not one of those.  It's important but it's a hobby and the move will give me a chance to think afresh and in due course present something new without risking the most important relationship I have.  No hobby is worth that in my opinion.

• Like 4

Penhayle Bay and all the photos and updates we get will be sorely missed. We'll all remember it years down the track, while we're saying, " I wonder how Wotsizname is getting on in the old country!"

:jester:   :jester:

• RMweb Premium

She named the large station at Treheligan during its construction and for which I briefly had the working name of Harlyn Road.  I then learned that there already was an O-gauge layout by that name so my junction station was nameless until she christened it.

In real life, the running-in boards at Par exhorted passengers to "Alight here for Carlyon Bay Hotel". At Porthmellyn Road they will promote the Carlyn Bay Hotel - a concatenation of Carlyon Bay, which was a nice walk along the cliffs from Charlestown, and Harlyn Bay, one of our favourite North Coast spots (and also the inspiration behind the name of Harlyn Junction, a superb 00 layout built in Canada by Brian Fayle).

• Like 1

Rick

You might be better off living in Sussex - houses are bigger than what you would get for the same price in London!

Looking forward to you starting again!

Paul R

HI Rick

Wow - that's a big move and wishing you the very, very best . As Paul says if your good lady is responsible for Wakehurst - a place we visit regularly - a home in Sussex might be a good option. I think you'll find the price of houses in SW London excruciating , whereas a train from Haywards Heath can have her at Kew Bridge station in an hour and five minutes. 

Doubtless an exciting time ahead for you both!

Peter

• RMweb Premium

a train from Haywards Heath can have her at Kew Bridge station in an hour and five minutes. 

When they're running!  Refer to the "Southern Timetable Reduction" topic :(

Realistically Kew (Gardens rather than Bridge is the preferred station) will be her daily place of attendance and Wakehurst less often.  While we prefer public transport for many reasons she will have access to a pool car for business trips.  In the longer term and if Southern can be sorted out then maybe somewhere like HH or its surrounds might be an option.  

We have identified some potential short-term flats in Kew Village which are affordable.  But until she has her visa granted we cannot sign anything.

Penhayle Bay and all the photos and updates we get will be sorely missed. We'll all remember it years down the track, while we're saying, " I wonder how Wotsizname is getting on in the old country!"

That cuts both ways Jeff.  I shall miss what has been a large part of my life for over ten years when Penhayle Bay is no more.  And I shall miss my occasional visits to Newton Broadway and Llanbourne - and very occasionally elsewhere too - and wonder how the good folk of DURM are getting on.  For the time being we have RMweb.  And for the next few months we have each other's company and Penhayle Bay still to enjoy.

I popped into one of my local shops today.  Whilst not exactly spending a fortune - a lot less than $100 in fact - I am still investing in the layout and have tonight fitted the motor to the new point installed over the fiddle yard patch.  Once again and for the last time all points are motored and 79 Points is back on the signalbox diagram taking the number and lever vacated when an earlier track change rendered a point redundant elsewhere.  I also found some wagon wheels meaning a fairly recent purchase which arrived with plastic wheels could be sorted out.  A nicely weathered Hi-bar wagon has joined the freight collection.  And to add more variety to the greenery I picked up a pack of Heki dark green "micro foam" some of which has already been scattered around to good effect.

There should be enough photographic material to present unseen views for some time yet.  Followers of the Facebook page have not even been made aware of the impending closure of the line as I have more than enough on hand to keep that going for another year or more.

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago we got very close ot moving ot Haywards Heath (back in the days when Southern was a good TOC).  one of our concerns is that trains are full and often standing by the time they reach there. The journey would have been a very similar time to that form Redhill into London on the faster trains.

In the end having to move company and office to Waddon therefore the drive changed our decision. Now working back in London so we could have moved after all.

There is a new Dark Star pub opening up this month so one big improvement for the town.

• RMweb Premium

one of our concerns is that trains are full and often standing by the time they reach there.

Every bit a concern here.  We know those trains.  Most of the Southern trains serving HH are the Littlehampton / Eastbourne splits.  With family in Worthing we are very acutely aware that even off-peak those trains are often full and standing by the time they leave that town let alone those hoping to board at Shoreham, Hove and Haywards Heath.  HH has other options by Thameslink to Blackfriars but they are of little use when the need is to change at Clapham Junction or Victoria to reach Kew.  I suppose one could travel via Blackfriars to Kew Gardens but it adds perhaps 20 - 30 minutes.  And one other very important factor; the good lady is unable (as opposed to unwilling) to stand on crowded trains so boarding at an intermediate station when all seats are already taken is not an option. We don't trust the voluntary Priority Seat system which is unenforceable.

Perhaps she should look at being amore agile worker - this is all the rage in the UK at the moment as organisations are looking to optimise space=- there is a general consensus that unless you need to be in an offie, e.g. for a meeting you shouldn't have to. On that basis she could work more flexible hours - first meeting at 11.00 so she could leave after the rush,, and only go to Kew three days a week max.

I deal with his in my day job and it really is the way many organisations are going. Most of my contacts tell me their offices resemble the Marie Celeste ( Not the pub) on Mondays and Fridays. Given the availability of excellent comms, working out of the office is becoming de rigeur - all she needs is s decent laptop

• RMweb Gold

Every bit a concern here.  We know those trains.  Most of the Southern trains serving HH are the Littlehampton / Eastbourne splits.  With family in Worthing we are very acutely aware that even off-peak those trains are often full and standing by the time they leave that town let alone those hoping to board at Shoreham, Hove and Haywards Heath.  HH has other options by Thameslink to Blackfriars but they are of little use when the need is to change at Clapham Junction or Victoria to reach Kew.  I suppose one could travel via Blackfriars to Kew Gardens but it adds perhaps 20 - 30 minutes.  And one other very important factor; the good lady is unable (as opposed to unwilling) to stand on crowded trains so boarding at an intermediate station when all seats are already taken is not an option. We don't trust the voluntary Priority Seat system which is unenforceable.

I thought you would be aware but just in case.

We do often get people with the priority seat badges and so far I haven't seen anyone not give up their seat when asked but you will have ot ask as very few will volunteer their seat unless elderly or obviously pregnant.

I do know people do sit in 1st class and accept some days they will be fined but most days they wont be so overall they don't pay much more for a seat. Not something that I do myself though.

However HH is a pleasant town and Lindfield even nicer

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought you would be aware but just in case.

We do often get people with the priority seat badges and so far I haven't seen anyone not give up their seat when asked but you will have ot ask as very few will volunteer their seat unless elderly or obviously pregnant.

I do know people do sit in 1st class and accept some days they will be fined but most days they wont be so overall they don't pay much more for a seat. Not something that I do myself though.

However HH is a pleasant town and Lindfield even nicer

I go through Lindfield every day on my way to work...

• Like 1