Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

This was one of the first threads I found when I joined RM Web, very sad to see it go. The last set of photos are superb and a fitting end to the line. Hope all goes well in the UK and look forward to updates on your progress.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

The last video.

Featuring a trio of typically Cornish trains including the very last to run on the Penhayle Bay Railway.

Thank you, one and all, for the interest, support, friendship, comments, learning and everything which this layout has brought.  With well over 10,000 Facebook followers in addition to being featured on three modelling forums it has proved far more popular and enduring than I ever expected.

Life moves on.  I am moving on.  A new project will emerge in the future.  I hope you will be around to share that with me too.

Indeed we will. Go well my friend.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Reading through the comments on the last set of pictures, and watching the last video was actually quite moving......considering it's only a flippin' model railway!!!

I wish you good luck for your journey back to us and hope that one day Rick, you'll come up with something equally, if not more enjoyable to entertain us with in the future.

Cheers

Mike

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I love the way you have made a modelling opportunity out of the closure captured some of the desolation as the railways contracted. 

Looking forward to whatever comes next. Shame you cannot make SWAG  this year perhaps next we shall see you again.

Don

Rick, you've shown many people the flavour of Cornwall through your layout and it has inspired me to keep going through several house moves.   [Currently rebuilding layout to fit into the restricted loading gauge of a London house!]    The rundown at Treheligan was especially poignant - I am just old enough to remember places such as Exmouth, Barnstaple and Newquay when they still had more than one track.

Hope the removal process goes smoothly with enough bubble wrap in the right places...

Paul

Hi Rick, like others on here sad to see the layout go but as you say life moves on... I had been silently following (lurking!) on the previous thread for several years before I had any inclination I was even moving to Oz so it has been almost surreal and of course a privilege visiting Penhayle Bay for real over the last 5 and a bit years now. Also having started a life in a new country I would not have got to meet so many other like minded souls on this forum (and beyond) had it not been for your generosity so thank you for all your kindness, hospitality and advice. I especially enjoyed the last couple of running sessions and also following the recent photos and videos. I have always felt there is something very evocative about a run down or disused railway. All the Best with the move to the old country and looking forward to following your next project! Jim

Bleeding DMU as the last train? you could have gone out in style with a steam special for goodness sake, Just take the track up and I bet  you in ten years time a society will be formed you will want to reopen it as a preserved railway. It could be relaid as a single track line and you could have some locos that would have never worked on the line like an LNER loco pulling some faded BR Mk.1 coaches or something like that. I'm pretty sure by then that the NRM will donate them something out of our national collection.

Seriously though well done and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Steve

Rick

Just a note to thank you, not only for creating the magnificent 'Penhayle Bay', which I have always found inspirational, but also for taking the time and trouble to record and photograph the layout for the pleasure of thousands - It was always a pleasure to read updates and to marvel at the way the whole 'atmosphere' of Cornwall was created so well by you. As others have said, the 'closing sequences' were almost quite emotional, which speaks volumes about what you achieved.

Very best of luck for your move to the UK!

David

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little post-script to the story.

One thing the layout never had was a distinctive sign of its own.  I have been aware of a couple of suppliers for some time but one doesn't ship overseas and the cost of a stove-enamelled totem was always prohibitive even without shipping to Australia,

But now, and thanks to catching up with one of the above-mentioned businesses at Worthing MRC's exhibition, the last-remaining section of the layout in my ownership finally does have a custom-made totem.  And if you thought the outside natural-light shots had finished - I've found a way to do them on the viaduct outside a tiny flat south-west of London.  

The legend lives on.  And may yet be re-born in some form at a future date.

attachicon.gifIMG_6449.jpg

Very nice Rick. If you are back in the groove of visiting model railway exhibitions try the Brighton MRC show on 18/19 November - one of my old clubs, of which I'm still a country member:

http://www.brightonmrc.com/exhibition.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Rick. If you are back in the groove of visiting model railway exhibitions try the Brighton MRC show on 18/19 November - one of my old clubs, of which I'm still a country member:

http://www.brightonmrc.com/exhibition.htm

Or Uckfield on the 21st / 22nd October. Some very good layouts coming this year including the exhibition debut of Gordon and Maggie Gravett's new layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126228-33rd-uckfield-model-railway-exhibition-21st-22nd-october-2017/

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Thanks gents.  October is fully booked but November might be possible.  Worthing was very convenient as I visit family there most weeks and had Saturday pencilled in before I was reminded of the WMRC event date.  The presence of my retailer of choice (and personal friend) also ensured I was there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or Uckfield on the 21st / 22nd October. Some very good layouts coming this year including the exhibition debut of Gordon and Maggie Gravett's new layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126228-33rd-uckfield-model-railway-exhibition-21st-22nd-october-2017/

Gary

Uckfield was always a good show in my day, but in my opinion the best in Sussex was the late, lamented Heathfield exhibition in the 1980s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Uckfield was always a good show in my day, but in my opinion the best in Sussex was the late, lamented Heathfield exhibition in the 1980s.

This will be my 3rd year as a member of Uckfield MRC (2nd on the committee) and our show has IMHO been the best in Sussex through those years, and I think this year is going to be even better. Speaking in the least biased way possible.

There have been some very good shows from other local clubs in that time as well

Gary

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Eight months on from closure I am happy to record that Penhayle Bay continues to attract new interest. The Facebook page has lost a few followers but has gained almost as many with new faces joining almost daily. Despite the layout no longer existing there are still over 10,000 Facebook followers and I receive questions and comments most weeks. I also receive occasional feedback on the YouTube channel where the cab ride and other videos continue to attract some interest.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Eight months on from closure I am happy to record that Penhayle Bay continues to attract new interest. The Facebook page has lost a few followers but has gained almost as many with new faces joining almost daily. Despite the layout no longer existing there are still over 10,000 Facebook followers and I receive questions and comments most weeks. I also receive occasional feedback on the YouTube channel where the cab ride and other videos continue to attract some interest.

I'm glad to hear that. It was a modern classic and the more people who discover it and enjoy its charm, the better.

• RMweb Premium

In terms of new projects nothing much as yet. The intention was to make use of some existing boards with track already laid and points wired but the room needs to be two inches bigger to get them to fit. I could form an L-shape but not with the track as it is. So currently one board is acting as a static display though could easily be powered up to test stuff. It’s getting to the point where recent arrivals will need another siding laid to accommodate them. There is nowhere to show the Bulleid diesel nor the class 74s let alone the quintet of D600s all of which are on order and most are hopefully to arrive this year.

Equally important: have you got anything, such as a short length of track, so you can run something, to stop yourself going mad?

Too late! He was already mad long before he left Oz, so no change there!!  :jester: