Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

This is a continuation of the old RM Web topic which may be found here :-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26664

All posts until 31/12/2009 will be found on the old site; posts on and from 01/01/2010 will be made here.

Here's an appetite-whetter for anyone who has not followed the old thread.

PA310009.jpg

• Like 16

Penhayle Bay has been brought over to the new site because it is now possible to do so in the board rather than the blog format.

Hello Gwiwer - Glad to see that you have transferred this great Lay-out to the NewWeb - Currently finishing the fitting-out of a 20ft x 16ft Shed and then I will commence modelling a fictitious Kernow Joint Railway(GWR - LSWR - S&DJR) based around St. Erth, Marazion and Penzance. I spent most of my School Holidays in Cornwall (1940's/50's), hence my specific interest in Kernow. My late Father was a Fitter/Turner at Shildon Wagon Works (BR) near my home town of Darlington, County Durham. Looking forward to further up-dates on your Lay-out,

Kind Regards,

Michael Thornberry.

• RMweb Premium

After the Christmas holidays we might be forgiven for "seeing double" after a heavy session. But here we see two "tractors" at work and both carry the same name! Bachmann / Kernow MRC 37207 "William Cookworthy" leads Lima 37675 "William Cookworthy" past the farm and then with all 24 cylinders barking away up the hill through the woods.

37207 lost the name in July 1987 and the following month it was transferred to 37675. Perhaps the Cornish Piskies have been at work here to capture an image in the time warp showing both locos carrying the name!

090990.jpg

090992.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Rick,

I love that last pic, I can almost hear that English Electric thrash.

I think young Doug has had more than a heavy session, ohmy.gif not only is he seeing double he's lost his memory.laugh.gif laugh.gificon_razz.gif

Cheers Peter,

Sorry Rick, I claim it is always have a problem to remember a name when I have only meet some one once. As we have said at a BRMA meeting call them Peter as about a 1 in 4 chance that you will be right. Now I will go and write on the black board. It is Rick not Chris... 1000 times

Yes Peter it is rather warm no doubt you havn't been out the layout in the last couple of days. Yesterday was nice on the Rye beach at 5.00 nice breeze kids in the water!... letts hope it cools down from the 36 or what ever it was yesterday and today!

• RMweb Premium

Trains have run every day at Penhayle Bay, including Christmas Day and today in 37C degrees. At least two trains normally run every day even if it's just for a single circuit of the up and down main lines. The scale crowds are gathering on the little beach to see in the New Year as it is expected to remain hot here until well past midnight. A few years ago we had 32C at midnight and we could equal or beat that tonight.

Me? I'll probably be in the real sea marking the turn of the year (and the start of what I hope is a return to full good health) with a gentle thigh-high dip. Can't do the full swim just at the moment for medical reasons .

Happy New Year to all followers of Penhayle Bay.

Trains have run every day at Penhayle Bay, including Christmas Day and today in 37C degrees. At least two trains normally run every day even if it's just for a single circuit of the up and down main lines. The scale crowds are gathering on the little beach to see in the New Year as it is expected to remain hot here until well past midnight. A few years ago we had 32C at midnight and we could equal or beat that tonight.

The first ever WOLO in Cornwall? :)

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

Hehe. I do take care on very hot days to not run stock which is much cooler from being stored inside so as to avoid creating a big difference in temperature at the wheel - rail interface. Likewise I don't leave trains parked anywhere they would get direct or strong sunlight. The rail temperature on the hottest section (the farm is exposed to midday sun) has been clocked at 57C twice over the years.

For those anywhere else WOLO is a code meaning reduced speed limits apply due to hot weather.

• RMweb Premium

Just to round off the year at Penhayle Bay ..... on a very hot (38C) New Year's Eve Treheligan station is busy as the up HST arrives alongside the St. Agnes branch train. The latter has been augmented due to the holiday and is a 150/2 + 153 formation. And a shed moves off from the down loop with a load of fertilizer for the garden in the distance!

PC310011.jpg

PC310009.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good to have this back!

One question, where can I find the nameplates for the signal boxes?

Right here. Cooper Craft Signalbox Nameplates. Fiddly as all **** to make up and get painted but effective.

hi just wanted to say that i love all the modern image layouts on here as its the era i grew up with i love the detail that has been put in to the layouts and could only dream of owning or building a layout this good so thank you for keeping me interested in one day having one

• RMweb Premium

Keep the faith, jonhants, as it took me 35 years from the first vision of what I hoped to one day build to being able to start building it. And it also took a move to the other side of the World. What you see in this thread is still very much an ongoing work but has been under construction for 5 years and operational for almost 4.

They say good things come to those who wait and they also say that the first skill you need in railway modelling is patience. I'll agree with both!

• RMweb Premium

After a long wait the black livery Hornby 153 has finally arrived. The rendering of the livery is superb and the wait has therefore been worthwhile.

For all those UK modellers frozen out of their sheds, snowed into their homes or dreaming of anything but winter here she is making her first appearance at Penhayle Bay .....

100040.jpg

..... where the beach is always popular.

100029.jpg

Detail of the livery shown to advantage as the unit runs around the cliff section.

100033.jpg

Finally the year it took Hornby to get the photographic detailing right and rescheduling production is reflected in the quality of the Truro cathedral image seen here.

100031.jpg

• Like 12