Has M G SHARP closed

Matador

:sungum:

I also note that elsewhere 'net users had commented the site was out of action in May and the "We are Working On A New Web Site & This Should Be Up & Running In A Couple Of Months!!" message was there then.

Considering that the cost of a domain name and redirection service is so low, I think a commercial enterprise with a well known name rather foolish to just shut it down, gives a bad impression which could so easily be avoided by just redirecting the old domain to the new one.

Regards

Keith

Unless the hosting company owned the domain, of course. Was more expensive to register a domain a few years back, and some hosting companies did combined registration and hosting deals in which they, not the customer owned the domain.

Probably. One tip given to me was to ensure that your buy your domain name through one company and arrange the hosting through another. That way, the domain belongs to you, not the hosting company and it avoids problems like this if they should go under.

Edit - They also can't hold you to ransom over it either.

:sungum:

I also note that elsewhere 'net users had commented the site was out of action in May and the "We are Working On A New Web Site & This Should Be Up & Running In A Couple Of Months!!" message was there then.

I won't go over my feelings towards them but that slogan has been there for several years rather than months.

• 2 months later...

I have had a PM to say MG Sharp are still trading:

Hi,

I've just caught up on the MGS thread and I have to say that dark forces have been at work as I have never had an update about this thread for over 18 Months & this has nothing to do with emails going to MGS accounts. Any updates were supposed to come to one of my personal accounts. Any way as an update we are still trading as MGS but I've become so fed up with the model railway trade I'm not looking to expand MGS any more. I have started another company that deals with classic car parts that is purely Ebay based & I'm sorry to say I can make more money and put up with less hassle than selling any model parts. A very sorry state but one that is necessary as I have a mortgage to pay every month and I'm 200% happier doing what I am now than what I was doing before and have very little agro to put up with.

Regards

Ken E.

I have replied to explain why someone may not have received notifications (spam filtering), dark forces my ........

Guest Max Stafford

As I suspected. Just couldn't be @rsed with the game any more.

A bit more honesty would have allowed him to withdraw from the game with some dignity and an intact reputation. Wonder where I'm going to source Gutzold close coupling units now.

Dave.

I'm confused - are they packing-up completely or are they "not looking to expand"?

I called into the shop at the end of November to buy some of the Caboose Industries point levers listed on their website. Once I'd got past having to bang on the locked door the chap was helpful and although the shop looked a bit chaotic, found the items quickly. Not sure I'd want to buy stuff mail order though.

Andy

I'm still owed £29.75 from a back order placed in February 2010, that despite repeated calls has never been repaid.

Guess I can go whistle for that now - hey ho

Dave

Dave

Years ago I brought some kits from them and had great service. But there is no excuse of not returning your money. Perhapps you should speak with the local (to him) trading standards, or just take him to court (online is easy). Providing you have proof of payment, I would think your money and costs would soon be returned.

As I suspected. Just couldn't be @rsed with the game any more.

A bit more honesty would have allowed him to withdraw from the game with some dignity and an intact reputation. Wonder where I'm going to source Gutzold close coupling units now.

Dave.

Couldn't agree more Dave. Last time I visited was some years ago, not too long after one of the proprietors died. I sensed then that things were going to slide, and this confirms it. Whilst it is nice to visit your genuine model railway emporia and see stuff at close hand, and to support same, customers don't have to put up with shoddy attention and attitude.

Another one crossed off my list anyway, and thanks AndyY for confirming

Guest oldlugger

As they say, what goes around, comes around. Let's just say that I had a very unfortunate and very costly incident many years ago with this place and received rude and unhelpful responses to the problem. Ever since then I've had nothing to do with them.

• 1 year later...
Guest eddie reffin

Is there anywhere that still sells the A1 range now? From what I remember they bought the range from. Howes but I stand to be corrected.

Has M G SHARP Models closed?, went to the website and it says the Domain name is for sale.

Sorry to use this topic but I'm having a problem with Kemilway too.

If you call the telephone number on the website the standard reply is number unobtainable. No response from an e-mail either.

I will send a recorded delivery letter and see if that gets a response ?

Having placed an order several months ago and paid ( stupidly - trusting person that I am) i was told when you could contact the company that " it won't be long now".

Any help comments about the company would be appreciated.

Archived