Has M G SHARP closed

Matador

I don't know if this is helpful but I know M G Sharp are importers for Kato and they do have this website http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/

It does have the warning "Our shopping cart and emails are not working due to our software and hosting company going into liquidation"

There is a phone number 0114 244 0851 showing if that is of any help?  It does say closed on Tuesdays.

Sorry to use this topic but I'm having a problem with Kemilway too.

If you call the telephone number on the website the standard reply is number unobtainable. No response from an e-mail either.

I will send a recorded delivery letter and see if that gets a response ?

Having placed an order several months ago and paid ( stupidly - trusting person that I am) i was told when you could contact the company that " it won't be long now".

Any help comments about the company would be appreciated.

Quick update just received from Kemilway to say his telephone provider is being changed and won't be able to respond until approx end of this month.

Hope this helps anyone with an order with Kemilway, and to be fair I got a reply to my e-mail fairly quickly.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if this is helpful but I know M G Sharp are importers for Kato and they do have this website http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/

It does have the warning "Our shopping cart and emails are not working due to our software and hosting company going into liquidation"

There is a phone number 0114 244 0851 showing if that is of any help?  It does say closed on Tuesdays.

MG Sharp, in the form of the present owner, Ken Eaglesham, seem to be selling some Kato models on ebay, such as this EH200 locomotive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATO-Japanese-3036-EF200-Bo-Bo-Bo-Hi-Tech-Loco-Electric-Loco-/280979184462He sells more tools, than anything these days and some of his replies to feedback, makes for "interesting" reading http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=x4mgs153-mk2&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=neutral&interval=365&_trkparms=neutral_365    

• RMweb Premium

I remember going to Sheffield quite a few times specifically to visit that shop in the 80's and 90's when it was one of the main retailers of North American and European outline in the UK alongside shops like Mackays and Victors. Very sad to see what has became of a once good shop.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, he appears to be a chip off his late Father's block, without the charm it would seem.

Bill would either disarm you with charm or suffocate you with ciggie fumes. Boy,he sure was a character.This situation is so very sad.

• RMweb Premium

Another sad thing is that the younger Eaglesham was a fine modeller capable of some excellent paint and detail work, very sad to see this on so many levels.

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently celebrating the 5th anniversary of a back ordered Walther's grain silo. Gave up trying to recover the money paid.

That is really infuriating (worse!) and totally unacceptable from any shop or seller.

That is really infuriating (worse!) and totally unacceptable from any shop or seller.

I'm currently celebrating the 5th anniversary of a back ordered Walther's grain silo. Gave up trying to recover the money paid.

They never bothered trying. I had a heatef discussions where the person in the shop was horrid. Said we won't be ordering those parts and was told my order was to be cancelled,after he put the phone down on me I called back and said you didn't even take my name so how will you cancel my order. It just is was the reply.

Not unhappy to see the back of them!

• RMweb Premium

Could trading standards not help? I've found them very helpful. I'm very forgiving of many things. I don't whinge too much about the endless delays to some models. I can live with price rises in China. I accept manufacturers make mistakes and that no model is perfect. I accept corporate comms may not be perfect and new release programs may be disappointing, retailers web sites may be poor and an awful lot of other things. But one thing I cannot accept is this sort of thing. If I pay for something then just as I honour an obligation to pay so I expect the retailer to abide with whatever they've agreed or committed to. Maybe this is a character fault of mine but even if it was something trivial like £10 I'd still go to trading standards and the small claims process just on principle. I know it is probably not a nice attitude but whereas I can forgive and accept almost anything else from manufacturers and retailers I have a bit of a zero tolerance approach when it comes to payment/delivery.

Following the last couple of posts perhaps we are well rid of this trader and it's current owner from our hobby. Going into the motor trade he will soon find that the customers are far less 'forgiving' that those in the model railway world. Have to say that I never liked the guy from the time he got involved in the business and I know I'm not along in that respect.  

His late father must be turning in his grave !!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Following the last couple of posts perhaps we are well rid of this trader and it's current owner from our hobby. Going into the motor trade he will soon find that the customers are far less 'forgiving' that those in the model railway world. Have to say that I never liked the guy from the time he got involved in the business and I know I'm not along in that respect.  

His late father must be turning in his grave !!!!!!!!!

Bill was a fantastic guy - I once ended up in a strip club with him but that's a story that won't be publicised -  I did get extra discount on the Peco Jubilee though

I didn't like them much when I lived In Sheffield. He once got very angry with with my father, arguing vehemently that a railcar kit we had taken back should have had two identical sides which meant that the brake compartment was at opposite ends on either side.

What stopped me doing business with them altogether was an occasion at the Glasgow show where a young lad about 10 or 11 was looking at the items on Sharp's stand. The guy asked him, very aggressively, if he was going to buy something and when the lad said no, he was only looking, he told him to go away as, "I paid a lot of money for this stand. I don't want people who aren't going to buy anything standing in front of it". How not to encourage young people to take an interest in the hobby. I was about to buy quite an expensive item but I put it down on the stand and walked away. I never even looked at his stand at shows after that. 

Glad to be rid.

"Bill a fantastic guy" you are kidding. I am led to understand that at one time he wanted to introduce an entrance fee to the shop.

I found them to be just as Graham has said. The only individual who was welcoming was the German Shepherd dog.

• RMweb Premium

In fairness you can only say of people how you found them, be it good or bad. I always found them to be welcoming enough when Bill Eaglesham was in charge and recieved good service. I'm not saying others did not recieve good service and a good welcome but I never had any complaints when I was a regular customer. That however is going back over 20 years.

I used MG Sharps on a regular basis several years ago and got to know Ken fairly well, at the time i collected Chinese Ho models and MG Sharps was the best model shop in the UK for stocking Chinese Ho models,i was always made very welcome by Ken, we often had a beer together during his lunch break at the local pub, although i spent a lot of money over the years I found Ken to be a decent bloke, it really saddens me to read of negative posts on here, I for one never had a problem with the chap.

• RMweb Premium

I used MG Sharps on a regular basis several years ago and got to know Ken fairly well, at the time i collected Chinese Ho models and MG Sharps was the best model shop in the UK for stocking Chinese Ho models,i was always made very welcome by Ken, we often had a beer together during his lunch break at the local pub, although i spent a lot of money over the years I found Ken to be a decent bloke, it really saddens me to read of negative posts on here, I for one never had a problem with the chap.

I'm sorry, but this is the guy that used the most profane language there is in front of my wife several years ago.  Now she's no retiring violet and knows a few choice words herself (mostly learned from her ex-navy husband....) that she wouldn't use in public, but using this language in the shop, in front of a woman he doesn't know, for no good reason was not the way to continue my trade.  I bought a LOT off Bill over the years, and yes he could be abrasive, but he was funny with it, Ken however, turned me away from his shop with his behaviour.  Sorry, but that's the way I found it, speak as you find.  The e bay comments come as no surprise to me.

Archived