Has M G SHARP closed

Matador

I remember going into Sharps early 90s as a poor student with a few quid to spend ,,want as much as I could and being a novice US Railroader aimed at about 4 blue box Athearn locos,,,a few nights fitting handrails etc,,,,When i placed my various BN locos on the counter and asked what detailing items I could add to make them better, Ken said youd need to spend about £30 a loco on each,,,the locos were only about £40 each!!, he placed about ten various details west etc components on the counter, flush windows, sun shades, wipers, new fuel tank,,,then said,,or spend £60 on an Atlas and dont bother with Athearn, I looked at the blue boxes tons of them and the Atlas locos and walked out with an Atlas Uboat. morale of the story is the Atlas cost me much more,,,as instead of fitting my handrails and flush glazing etc on winter nights, I was down the students union spending on beer!

• 2 weeks later...

Went there once in the seventies train from Bedford and a packed bus at a ridiculous cheap fare ,found the shop and an alladins cave of  ho USA cant remember about the shopping experience but got all I needed seemed to have everything you needed.Shame when a business goes bad the owners should really bail out and retire then let someone who wants to work takeover,luckily I found Viktors now that was a great shop with good owners and stock and was darn sight easier to get to with an even better range to buy from don't think thtSharpes will really be missed by the content on here.

• RMweb Gold

Went there once in the seventies train from Bedford and a packed bus at a ridiculous cheap fare ,found the shop and an alladins cave of  ho USA cant remember about the shopping experience but got all I needed seemed to have everything you needed.Shame when a business goes bad the owners should really bail out and retire then let someone who wants to work takeover,luckily I found Viktors now that was a great shop with good owners and stock and was darn sight easier to get to with an even better range to buy from don't think thtSharpes will really be missed by the content on here.

Hi there,

If you were there in the 70's = you were in the right place at the right time!

Generally it only started to go downhill in the late 90's and into the 20's....

Thanks

MG Sharp, in the form of the present owner, Ken Eaglesham, seem to be selling some Kato models on ebay, such as this EH200 locomotive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATO-Japanese-3036-EF200-Bo-Bo-Bo-Hi-Tech-Loco-Electric-Loco-/280979184462He sells more tools, than anything these days and some of his replies to feedback, makes for "interesting" reading http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=x4mgs153-mk2&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=neutral&interval=365&_trkparms=neutral_365    

Just had a look at these...no wonder they went on a downer....customer relations ala Basil Fawlty! As one of the shops in my hometown I went there in the early 2000's,but went less and less. I did get my DCC stuff from there when the other bloke was at the helm. Rarely bought locos or rolling stock as Rails were much more competative. Similarly to what has been mentioned earlier, I went there once, to witness the female assistant get a real brutal earfull from the short heavy guy...was this the Ken mentioned earlier??, Full of 'choice' anglo-saxon and as though I and the other customer weren't there. Didn't do himself any favours that day w.r.t. my wallet.

• RMweb Premium

I remember when for HO modellers there were three really top shops, MG Sharp, Victors and MacKays in Paisley. Of the three I found Mackay's the best as Mr. Mackay was a lovely old chap and the service was excellent and their stock for European HO was first class. I used to love Victors too, going to his shop was a bit like a lucky dip experience as you'd stumble across all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, some of it you'd never see again. The walk up Pentonville Road was one I trudged many times from Euston, his window display was amazing as he seemed to just put stuff in the window and forget about it with serious amounts of stock faded to being pretty much worthless by the sun. Happy days!!

• 1 year later...

Can anyone remind me of the year Bill passed away; Dave F and I last met him at the annual Glasgow Show but the years slip by so fast these days that we aren't sure when. I knew Bill both professionally and as a friend and also manned the Trade Stand at various Shows.

After his passing and also my retirement from the Midland Bank we have had little or no contact with the shop, its all a little sad!

Ernie

It must have been spring '98 or '99. It was my first bereavement of a friend. I'd been an occasional Saturday boy whilst at University.

Luke

Only ever went to MGSharp once, and that was when I was 'rail bashing' in the area!

Came out empty handed as I usually went in to Victors, so was used to their banter!

As the person who worked at Victors for 24 years I'm glad to hear this..................

Personally absolutely loved Bill .... and Bernie ................. went in on my days off because I loved the whole 'Victors experience' so much

Working at Victors was GREAT and meeting and working with Bill was GREAT and so was meeting and working with the guys at Tonbridge Wells Model Shop ... these great days can never be repeated now ...... ended for me in the year 2000

Don't want to take this thread off topic but maybe we should start a 'enjoyed the banter at Victors' thread :onthequiet:

• RMweb Premium

As the person who worked at Victors for 24 years I'm glad to hear this..................

Personally absolutely loved Bill .... and Bernie ................. went in on my days off because I loved the whole 'Victors experience' so much

Working at Victors was GREAT and meeting and working with Bill was GREAT and so was meeting and working with the guys at Tonbridge Wells Model Shop ... these great days can never be repeated now ...... ended for me in the year 2000

Don't want to take this thread off topic but maybe we should start a 'enjoyed the banter at Victors' thread :onthequiet:

A Victors thread would be great! Given your experience, I wonder if you could let us know Bernie's logic with regards to his window display? This is probably a really silly thing, but I've always wondered why he was seemingly happy to stick expensive stuff in the window then let exposure to the sun wash the colours out and render it pretty much valueless other than to break down for spares.

A Victors thread would be great! Given your experience, I wonder if you could let us know Bernie's logic with regards to his window display? This is probably a really silly thing, but I've always wondered why he was seemingly happy to stick expensive stuff in the window then let exposure to the sun wash the colours out and render it pretty much valueless other than to break down for spares.

Sadly Kenny (Bill's Son) is no Bill, he being Yorkshire is blunt, but Kenny is Very Blunt.   They do not do ANY shows that I know about and the American Market has all but gone too with the onset of Online ordering from Europe and the States.

Though this shop had shut years ago along with the little ---- who took it over from his father who must had turned in his grave if he knew how the business went after his passing. 

As noted earlier in this thread, there seems to be an ebay presence with a rump of 10 Kato locos/train packs. ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Collectables/1/m.html?item=280979184462&_ssn=x4mgs153-mk2&_sac=1 ), the main dealing being in tools and car bits and a curious sideline in "adult erotic clothing"...

'nuff said, I think!

Just found the RMWeb MG Sharp thread - brought back memories of the 1960's in Glasgow when Bill and Margaret had their model shop in the High Street in Glasgow. I was a regular customer at their premises.

Yes Bill could be blunt - but Margaret more than made up for it in a most pleasant way.  One Saturday in the late 1960's when I went in for just a browse at the High Street shop I mentioned to Bill I was looking for a car.  Before I knew it we were both straight into his E-Type Jag - full of cigarette smoke and ash - and sped over to a car dealer friend of his on the other side of Glasgow.  The deal was done and I went home with a four year old BMC Mini in blue all for £275.00.  It was a great buy and I had no regrets with the purchase.  It was the only time I ever travelled in an E-Type.

Do any Glasgow RMwebbers remember Jimmy Glassford's model shop off Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow?  Bill Eaglesham was a real pleasant chap in comparison!

• 1 year later...

I went past last week and the signs were still up. Last time I went in they still had all the model railway stuff but also a lot of car spare parts. I don’t think they’ve had any new stock for a good few years, but if you can get in they might have what you need. The door was locked and I had to ring the bell. The lady is nice, the man not so.

The shutters have been down every time I have passed over the last couple of years (driven past a dozen or so times).

There was a time a few years ago that the shutters would be up and knocking on the door would get you in - it looked as if nothing had been touched for years!

Looks like eBay is the current outlet for any remaining stock - he says he has moved onto other hobbies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KATO-Japanese-10-229-82-Series-Kiha-6-Car-Diesel-MU-Set-DCC-Ready-Brand-New/271240404085?hash=item3f27301c75:m:mG0Id6X-37qog-tkebGk3Ag

Just found the RMWeb MG Sharp thread - brought back memories of the 1960's in Glasgow when Bill and Margaret had their model shop in the High Street in Glasgow. I was a regular customer at their premises.

Yes Bill could be blunt - but Margaret more than made up for it in a most pleasant way.  One Saturday in the late 1960's when I went in for just a browse at the High Street shop I mentioned to Bill I was looking for a car.  Before I knew it we were both straight into his E-Type Jag - full of cigarette smoke and ash - and sped over to a car dealer friend of his on the other side of Glasgow.  The deal was done and I went home with a four year old BMC Mini in blue all for £275.00.  It was a great buy and I had no regrets with the purchase.  It was the only time I ever travelled in an E-Type.

Do any Glasgow RMwebbers remember Jimmy Glassford's model shop off Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow?  Bill Eaglesham was a real pleasant chap in comparison!

I'm a bit late replying but I remember the one in the High Street and the one off Sauchiehall Street too. I used to pass the latter every day while I was going to Stow College. I've moved a bit further west since then.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Graham1960 said:

I remember the shop in the 70's, the only place you could get foreign trains and models. However I didn't go in too often for he used t have this big dog in the shop, which scared the life out of me.

Well if the dog didn’t get you,Bill’s ciggies would.The guy was a living monument to nicotine.But he was a real character for all that.

5 hours ago, Graham1960 said:

I remember the shop in the 70's, the only place you could get foreign trains and models. However I didn't go in too often for he used t have this big dog in the shop, which scared the life out of me.

Bills dogs 1992; real characters like their master!

Ernie

Bill Eaglesham's dogs 1992 c047.jpg

Archived