The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

Hello all,

I have yet to enter 7mm scale modelling but after handling an Ixion HC 0-6-0ST loco in an show in the UK I feel severely tempted...

My choice would be for a Sentinel steam loco. Preferably the version with the fluted bonnet.

Speaking of Sentinels (sorry to hijack the thread) and given that I'm writing from S. America, a sad bit of news - the two broad-gauge (5'3" gauge) which shunted the Amsted-Maxion wagon works in Cruzeiro, São Paulo State, are going to be retired - if they haven't been already. Thus ends regular working steam in South America...

Cheers Nicholas

São Paulo, Brazil.

There is O gauge modelling going on in Brasil. I live in Belem.

• RMweb Gold

The first loco I ever owned was a Triang TT gauge model of what was to become a Class 08. I’d like a detailed 7mm version (even if just to sit on my desk).

I don’t believe that anyone else will actually produce one now.

Best, Pete.

I have a Bachman brass one as yet unpainted which doesn't really fit with my pre-group locos if you are interested.

• 2 months later...

I doubt that the J64 would be a good move for Ixion, but you might be able to strike a deal to manufacture the chassis and someone else would do a 3D-printed body kit via shapeways for the J64. As far as I can tell from a little bit of correspondence with some of the people from Ixion, the main issue is that the motor would protrude into the cab, making it impossible to have any sort of beached detail. However, I'm sure that someone who really wants a J64 could overlook this and disguise it with some crew figurines.

Well we have a saying in the North East that "shy bairns get nowt" so on that note I am going to throw my every want and desire into this thread...

It has got to be a Wisbech & Upwell tram - J70 or Y6.

I'll keep dreaming in any case...

David

Well as I posted before the 08, was the F class in Aussie-land so there is some connection there. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89573-ixion-new-projects/page-2 

If produced as a standard then it could be made to represent each homeland via a bag o detail bits.  

Go on speak to Dapol and do a deal.  Please.

post-1159-0-04727700-1417439412.jpg

The main difference was that they were painted blue and yellow and some minor bits like lamps etc

Well as I posted before the 08, was the F class in Aussie-land so there is some connection there. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89573-ixion-new-projects/page-2

If produced as a standard then it could be made to represent each homeland via a bag o detail bits.

Go on speak to Dapol and do a deal. Please.

AUSSIE 08 F-CLASS.jpg

The main difference was that they were painted blue and yellow and some minor bits like lamps etc

I do like that... Roco have recently released an ho scale version of the loco. I am no expert but I think they were used for shunting around the Melbourne area.

Well as I posted before the 08, was the F class in Aussie-land so there is some connection there. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89573-ixion-new-projects/page-2

If produced as a standard then it could be made to represent each homeland via a bag o detail bits.

Go on speak to Dapol and do a deal. Please.

AUSSIE 08 F-CLASS.jpg

The Fly in the ointment is that O in Victoria, where these ran, is 1:48.

The blue and yellow was just one of several liveries.

Linds

The Victorian Railways T class diesel is a conversion of the Atlas SW8/9 and an RTR DERM railcar was produced in 1:48 scale. I am not sure why this scale was first adopted over 1:43.5, considering that Victoria has the largest GOG branch outside the UK. It may have had something to do with the fact that Victorians used 5'3" Irish Broad Gauge, whilst NSW used standard gauge. I know that the 2'6" gauge Puffing Billy Railway has usually been modelled in 1:48 on 16.5mm gauge track, and Rick Richardson was one of the first people in the world to adopt this scale and gauge.

There has also been a number of interesting scale/gauge combinations for the 3'6" Narrow Gauge systems in Australia. HOn3.5 variously on 12, 12.25 and 12.5mm gauge track was popular but Sn3.5 (1/64 scale on 16.5mm gauge track) was also popular.

If anything it reflects the break-of-gauge problem that we've always had in Australia. Except now, it's "break-of-scale"

Re a Class 08...

Probably still get it out before Dapol !!

... and it'd be more accurate as well. ;)

I don't suppose this is the place to wish for a decent 1:48 scale GP38-2..?? ;) ....but as an owner of an Ixion Hudswell-Clarke kettle, I'd confidently buy an Ixion Class 08 sight unseen, something I can no longer say about the Dapol version.... :(

• RMweb Premium

I feel I ought to write something, but I don't know what.

Edit for correcting the second occurrence of the first person perpendicular pronoun from lower to upper case.

You were going to drop a hint about the impending Ivatt tank announcement... ;-p

Even if you said what the next loco was, they would still be asking about the next one

...and when you do post pictures of the next Ixion, however good it is, you will be subjected to a barrage of complaints...

It's the wrong shade of black

the floggle-toggles are oversize

and anyway floggle-toggles weren't fitted until 1948

it's too expensive

shouldn't the futtocks be flared?

are you going to do the 1911 version? - I'm hanging on for that

it's a pity you didn't do the rebuilds - I would have bought four

and on...

and on...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived