Jon Fitness' Average 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench.

Picked up a nice little pack of partitions today. All lazer cut from 0.8mm ply and they fit a treat. (At least they do where I've rolled the kit's profile correctly!)

post-7179-0-32910500-1354043412.jpg

The company who did them does mainly acrylic wedding display gubbins and has just set up shop opposite where our layout is. They seem keen to learn about our requirements and can accept drawings done on Corel Draw X4 or X5. I haven't yet learnt how to use a CAD program but I gave him a simple line drawing to scale which he traced and produced them from.

Jon F

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 4

Hi Jon,

Those partitions look good. You can stain and varnish them just like the real thing.

Laser cutting does seem very tempting for producing components. Just imagine if laser cutters ever became as cheap as inkjet printers, we could churn out all sorts of things.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

Those partitions look good. You can stain and varnish them just like the real thing.

Laser cutting does seem very tempting for producing components. Just imagine if laser cutters ever became as cheap as inkjet printers, we could churn out all sorts of things.

All the best,

Colin

I did consider staining them but there is only a small portion of them visible. The lower half is covered by the seat and the bit from just above the luggage rack to the roof is white. There is a strip of varnished wood probably about a foot deep above the seats that has 2 or 3 pictures and/or a mirror on it!

As here.

Jon F.

Edited by Jon Fitness

Hi Jon,

I can see what you mean re. partitions, having looked at your photos in the link. What a work of art these old LBSC carriages were, with their complex timber-framed constuction. I presume the match-boarded wooden ceiling was all there was between the passengers and the elements . It must have been cold in the winter!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Jon,

I can see what you mean re. partitions, having looked at your photos in the link. What a work of art these old LBSC carriages were, with their complex timber-framed constuction. I presume the match-boarded wooden ceiling was all there was between the passengers and the elements . It must have been cold in the winter!

All the best,

Colin

Colin,

I agree, they are works of art and the IOWSR teams who have restored and maintain them are total heros for the work they are doing. Some of the surgery they've had to perform on those ageing vehicles beggars belief!

Although I'm a Lancashire lad and still very fond of my "dark satanic mills" sort of model railway scenes, I was totally captivated after coming back from my first IOW holiday and researching the railway system there. It must have been fascinating to observe operations on a summer saturday in the mid 1950s. The sheer battering that the old IOW stock and locos got year after year shifting 100s of thousands of passengers means that during SR and BR service there must have been a constant overhaul process going on!

As well as liking the look of these trains I suppose partly I'm building my IOW rake up as a respectful tribute to it all!

Jon F.

I've managed to get some paint on to the first coach (Railmatch BR Southern coach green). Next job will be numbers then some satin or semi gloss varnish. Once that's done I can then get on with some interiors.

post-7179-0-23672200-1354719708.jpg

post-7179-0-65368500-1354719715.jpg

post-7179-0-51841800-1354719722.jpg

The interiors will be (if they fold up right size) printed card that I made up in MS Publisher.

Here is an example in the flat. The cross hatch pattern folds up to be the luggage rack, then theres picture/mirror panel, seat back, cushion, vertical underseat section, floor then the same in reverse up the other side. It's hopefully just a matter of folding the thing up right, squeezing it up like a concertina then opening it out into position against two partitions.

I'm not sure if my converting the drawing into a jpeg has changed the dimensions but anyone is free to use this if they feel it's any use to them.

post-7179-0-69327600-1354719685_thumb.jpg

More soon

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 10

They look very good. What weight card did you use?

It was Staples 190gm Matt photo paper, but the actual stuff I will be using will be some 240gm plain card I found in a drawer. The colour and definition won't be as clear but it will be cheap and strong!

JF

Hi John,

Those seats look well designed. Very neat work. I admire you for being able to calculate alll the folds like that.

The painted coach looks the part too. I somehow missed your post a few days ago. The LMS coaches caught rushing past in the background are rather amusing!

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Jon. I had seen designs to be printed before but never thought much about them but seeing your mock up puts them in a different light.

Hi John,

Those seats look well designed. Very neat work. I admire you for being able to calculate alll the folds like that.

The painted coach looks the part too. I somehow missed your post a few days ago. The LMS coaches caught rushing past in the background are rather amusing!

All the best,

Colin

Thanks both!

I think building Bilteezi card kits in my yoof has paid off! :paint: .

As the coaches were starting to get a bit heavy to have plastic moulded seats (yes it all adds up!) and I wasn't looking forward to painting the interiors of about 30 compartments they should solve the 2 problems. Fortunately they won't show up too much but should be just enough to "fill out" the compartments.

They have now thrown up another problem though... not sure how I'm going to get any people into them as the will be folded up during the fitting process!

JF

Hi Jon,

Considering that the designed card seating also serves to reduce weigth in the coaches, it is an elegant solution. Perhaps you'll need to add the seated figures after the seating is installed, or ones that are cut in half at waist level and have their legs and torsos re-united once inside!

Colin

Since the last update, the coach has had numbers applied. a coat of satin varnish (which was a little too matt for me) and a re-coat with a blend of satin and gloss applied by brush. I'll let you lot judge whether it's a success or not!! <_< .

The glazing was er...fun. 54 seperate panes of plastiglaze solidly fixed in with evo-stick (I do not want any to come loose..ever!)

The mark 1 and 2 fold up card interiors proved a little more than my dexterity provided for! Although a good idea at the time, the inclusion of the floor in the fold up mad it almost impossible to press the backs against the bulkheads. The seats would'nt stay the right shape either and how on earth would I get any passengers in as the whole thing had to be folded up like a concertina and twisted to get it in? What was I thinking...?

Never mind, heres version 3 which addresses most of the the problems but still requires a level of digital manipulation that my sausage like fingers struggle with...

post-7179-0-00641800-1355591464.jpg

post-7179-0-32423200-1355591490.jpg

I think the required effect has been acheived just about...

post-7179-0-50337800-1355591475.jpg

post-7179-0-27107800-1355591480.jpg

post-7179-0-09038800-1355591494.jpg

post-7179-0-67758800-1355591498.jpg

with flash

post-7179-0-29839400-1355591485.jpg

and without

post-7179-0-81695700-1355591468.jpg

As you can see I ran out of card but the final compartments will be fitted tomorrow and the coach finished off with a bit of heavyish weathering!

More soon

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 16

Those interiors look superb, Jon!! They put my plastic one-colour Mark 1 interiors to shame!! Will I ever get round to painting them? Maybe, but when? is more to the point!!

Rod

Hi Jon,

I had been wondering what you were up to!

The coach looks really good. I especially like the views of the interior through the carriage windows. Your card method looks very convincing.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks both!

One or two of the interiors are a bit wonky but they should be moveable or more to the point, replaceable as I'll just print some more if need be!

Compartments for Mark 1 coach interiors should be do-able too. I have 5 Bachy brass ones to flesh out. If I can get hold of a cheap copy of Corel draw X3 or X4 I should be able to do some artwork for the partitions too, and get them laser cut by the same company that did the ones for this coach.

All the best

Jon F.

Jon,

What an eye opener your folded interiors are. I have been using solid seats in my LMS coaches but of course these are plain painted. Your prints are far more realistic as you've captured the cloth design in the print, which looks very authentic when viewed through the windows. I'm certainly going to try the folded seats on future coaches and I'm now wondering whether to print a patterned material on a lightweight paper and "reupholster" my earlier efforts.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Chris

• Like 1

Looks Good

I have built one of these carrages, Brake third 4168 (5 still in the stash)

I also put in seats, pictures etc.

I had some head scratching with the glazing, i eventually put individual pieces in like youself.

Rather than gluing I secured them with strips of brown parcel tape, this can be cut to

represent the internal timber work and is self coloured, it can also be readliy peeled off

and moved if need be when fresh, no risk of glue on the glazing.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a superb-looking model...

... and whilst reading your thread (in some awe I should add) I spotted a familiar view in your layout photos... your back-scene image looks just like the view over the river towards a certain market town at the southern end of the M50 :-)

David

• Like 1

What a superb-looking model...

... and whilst reading your thread (in some awe I should add) I spotted a familiar view in your layout photos... your back-scene image looks just like the view over the river towards a certain market town at the southern end of the M50 :-)

David

Thanks David! You're doing pretty well yerself!

After a quick glance at a road map....well spotted :sungum: !!

The backscene was bought as a "second" from ID backscenes and neither myself or Steve knew where it was until a friend who'd been there just previously identified it for us!

I'll be getting back to the coaches once the current signal batch is finished..

Cheers

JF

• 1 month later...

Finally got a bit of time to re-start work on the LBSCR coaches and a rare appearance of the big yellow thing in the sky allowed a couple of pics outside.
This rather rough and ready bit of brass is a 6 compartment brake 3rd and will, after a lot of scrubbing, scraping, washing and rinsing, (because of my rubbish soldering,)  be painted in 1950's Carmine.

post-7179-0-07889700-1360357718.jpg
post-7179-0-52802200-1360357721.jpg

More soon eventually,
Jon F

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 6

So you are going for a mix of colours in the rake?

Definately! As late as 1961-2 there were still a few carmine painted coaches mixed in with the green ones according to pictures in various books I have. I still haven't worked out how to get a true BR rake of IOW coaches as I need some 54' SECR coaches to mix with the Brighton ones. Even 2 coach trains seemed to have one from each company!

I think Worsley Works do sides and ends in 4mm scale which I'm sure they would do in 7mm for me but thats as near as I can get at the moment.

For now I'm happy to introduce a bit of variety with just the colours.. :senile: .

Jon F.

• 1 month later...

I've not managed much on the coaches recently but I've sprayed the first 6 compartment brake in Carmine now (Pics to follow when the weather improves!)

I've also designed a very basic printed interior for the guards compartment.

I've done it in green as per the SR liveried example on the IOW but I'm not sure what colour they were in BR years. I'll stick to green for now though and it can be changed easily enough!

post-7179-0-12820100-1363452888_thumb.jpg

more soon

JF

• Like 6