Coldgunners O gauge thread

Coldgunner

I've been blessed with a marvellous idea for an O gauge project, "Ivor the Engine".

To start with I need to pick a prototype to develop as Ivor, and I was thinking that perhaps the Connessieur starter kit may be a goes, as I've never done kit building before. I feel the real challenge will be the application of livery, but the real fun could be had in the application of DCC sound. I could very easily adapt sound samples from the tv series, or even try to imitate it myself. The three note whistle may be fun too.

Ivor_the_Engine_c1962_Hardback.JPG

• RMweb Gold

I like the whimsical projects :) I guess you'd need about three chuff files as they get shorter, editing them may be fun from the soundtrack.

I've got the large, gauge 1ish, resin Ivor if you need any detail or other angle shots, pm me if you do and it'll make me dust it too.

Then there's the layout to follow ;)

I think modelling the entire top left hand corner of Wales may be tricky...

can I ask where you got your resin body, and if its available in 'O'? I'm just at the genesis of the idea, but it may be fun, especially as a first kit build.

I'll probably do a metre long display plank to go along with this, but I could do a shed. Figures like Jones the steam may be interesting to attempt too, maybe a kitbash of some 'o' figurines.

A certain amount of creative license is inevitable given the design of Ivor, which got me thinking on something similar to a generic 0-4-0 with added valancing. May need to study the rolling stock too, see whats available on the market for use/adaptation.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Starter%20Loco.html with some fom of valancing made out of plasticard perhaps?

Is there any suggestions to an alternative base product?

Thanks for those pics Paul, makes for good reference material. If Ivor were a real prototype, I wonder what he would be. I don't think my skills are ready for a complete scratch build and maybe a "realistic" Ivor may be the right route to take. Looking at the size of the boiler and the overall shape, could adapting a smokeless prototype work?

• RMweb Gold

Fireless locos tend to have the cylinders at the rear under the cab though,

I'd think something like the N.E.R. H class or LNER Y7 would be the closest prototype though the boiler isn't as big. See the one on here http://c9425687.myzen.co.uk/MRT2/index.php/enthusiasts/our-engines-and-stock#1310

The only thing I've seen with such a large diameter boiler is a little German tank which LGB make a model of in G, search for LGB 20761

• RMweb Gold

proportionally you want an 0-4-2t with the -2 omitted. Issue will be with balance

With a chunky boiler like that and only the cab hanging out that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'd be looking at narrow gauge prototypes for inspiration, personally.

Problem is inside motion on narrow gauge prototyes was very rare due to the lack of space between the frames, Ivor was never described as narrow gauge either just,

Not very long ago, in the top left-hand corner of Wales, there was a railway. It wasn't a very long railway or a very important railway, but it was called The Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited, and it was all there was.

Map

http://www.smallfilms.co.uk/ivor/map.htm

The only inside motion NG locos that spring to mind are the vertical boiler De Wintons or the 18 inch gauge mine locos, both types solved the problem by mounting the cylinders and valve gear vertically.

"...and it was all there was" might be read as implying it was not connected to anything else, but the map shows it connected to the "main line" at both Tewyn and Llangubbin. Was that main line part of some other railway? Would this strengthen the case for standard gauge?

Of course, there is no north arrow or other aid to orientation on the map and if it had been produced in an older tradition of map making, then it might have east at the top. If that were the case, "the top left-hand corner of Wales" would be somewhere else...

Nick

• RMweb Gold

sorry, what I meant was in looking for a suitably proportioned loco with a massive cab and long rear overhang, it was more the sort of thing you might find amongst NG prototypes. I was not suggesting for a minute that the "real" Ivor was anything but 4'81/2" - apologies for any impression I gave otherwise.

Definetly going to try the "realistic" Ivor as I believe some of the techniques needed for a series accurate version are far beyond my skills. The idea of sculpting a figure sounds fun, what did you make them out of Matt?

Another thing I need to think about is rolling stock, I shall need to watch some episodes for some ideas, I know he had things like the coal truck etc, something straightforward to work from.

Definetly going to try the "realistic" Ivor as I believe some of the techniques needed for a series accurate version are far beyond my skills. The idea of sculpting a figure sounds fun, what did you make them out of Matt?

Another thing I need to think about is rolling stock, I shall need to watch some episodes for some ideas, I know he had things like the coal truck etc, something straightforward to work from.

It is super sculpey, then painted. It runs on a cut-down Bachmann junior 0-6-0 chassis that makes it an 0-4-0 it is scaled to around 1:48

Archived