The Bleach Green Project

colmflanagan

I think they came from International Models, they're actually of the Yorkshire Dales,. I've seen them on some other layouts too.

Colm

Thank you.

Their 'Hills and Dales' one I suppose, it looks a bit more rocky and rugged than I thought it did, that's useful, thanks again.

Just found this.  Very nice model.  I work very near the real things, and cross over & under regularly when travelling into Belfast.  The curve on the down Larne line after the viaduct looks a bit tight, but all in all it is very impressive.  I like the view under the original bridge with the large iron supporting frames.  I walk under there regularly when taking the dog for a walk.

regards

Hello all,

"Bleach Green" is now back in storage until April next year at the NDMRS show in Bangor.  We had a busy day at Cultra with significant numbers around the layout from 10.

We kept our promise to run a spoil train although only managed 20 wagons for a brief period before some teething difficulties set in,and a loco problem for most fo the day restricted the number of wagons. However, it seemed to be enjoyed ay everyone. Wagons were built or loaned to us by Nelson Jackson and Kieran Lagan, and Leslie Mc Allister was heard trying to flog more kits close by!! There were other "visitors" running  on the layout and our thanks to Steve Rafferty (who also helped us operate) and David White for supplying these. Some pictures are attached below.

From top to bottom

A 6 car xGNR BUT set on the viaduct

The Spoil Train, with Nos 10 & 55 in charge

BNCR compound No 62 on her way to Antrim.

An NIR CIF C3000 heads for Larne Harbour

post-4092-0-70182800-1415717761_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-95516100-1415717786_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-19039800-1415717826_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-57531200-1415717847_thumb.jpg

Aw, crikey, serves me right for losing track of the date and missing the event...looking at the pic above, I thought, 'That BUT set looks familiar...nah, couldn't be...!' But then I see Steve Rafferty was behind the scenes too so it must be?

post-15566-0-36146300-1415734434_thumb.jpg

And there was a BNCR 4-4-0 and a spoil train there too, for the first time! And I missed the lot!

Oh well, maybe next time :(

Will do Kieran! Been too long since I made one or other of the Bangor shows, the one formerly in the Leisure centre was my fave, with all the trade stalls, all that yummy second-hand stuff in the days before eBay...!

Hello Ivor,

Yes, the BUT was indeed Steve Rafferty's unit, this ran fine on our Scaleway code 75 track despite my original doubts when I saw the big chunky Tri-ang Hornby wheels. I expected it to leap skywards on the points .We have a 1980s Mogul which does that regularly!  Steve also had an AEC with him but I didn't get a pic of it.

Bleach Green is indeed on the list to appear at the Bangor Show at Bangor Grammar School in April.

Colm

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an update, to confirm that BG will be at the NDMRS show on 11 -12 April this year, at Bangor Grammar School. At present this is it's only booked outing this year, and next year it'll be going "across the water" twice so we may not be exhibiting it here for a while, as these are major trips for us.  So if anyone who hasn't seen it, wants to, then you know where to go and when.

There will I hope be a few "new" oddments running on the layout, maybe not strictly from its  1950s/60s UTA era,- it may just creep into 1970 (hint) and back to 1946/7 occasionally. And there'll be "something completely different" running from time to time as well. (that's enough hints!)

Colm

Drove over to Bangor for the show. I like the new setting, lighter and more friendly than the leisure centre.  Seeing Bleach Green was the highlight. It is a super model. I walk the dog up the path underneath the viaducts at least once a month, and you have certainly captured the massive look of the concrete structures.  

regards

Hi All,

Despite what I may have said in my previous post about Bangor, "Bleach Green" will be making another appearance locally this August, at the UMRC show in Carrickfergus a the usual venue there.  Dates are 22-3 August, 10-5 sat and 2-5 Sunday (I think, though haven't confirmed exact times yet) 

Colm

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Had the pleasure to view this layout in the flesh for the first time at the Glasgow show today. The layout is stunning and captures the feel of the area totally. A lot of hard work has been put into the layout,which shows with the amount of small detail that has been modelled.

A big thank you also to Colm for giving me a behind the scenes view of the layout,enabling me to get a close up view of the Harlandic and railcars No 1 and 4. All 3 models are superb,seeing them close up brought home the amount of work that went into them to create models of these iconic railcars and loco. What with the other stock on show,a truly remarkable and realistic piece of Bleech Green and rolling stock has been captured beautifully. Well done to all concerned.

Totally agree with the last number of comments. Brilliant layout. Managed to view it on a number of occasions over the weekend. Even spent time explaining to other viewers that it was in fact a model of a real place which is still there. Stayed so long on one occasion that Colm asked if we had taken root. Glad now that I was able to persuade Colm, and Modelrail, to bring the layout to Glasgow.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update in light of Bredins 800s's query.

In November this year we plan to take Bleach Green to the Warley show at the NEC in Birmingham and we have no plans currently for any further outings - possibly North Down next Easter (if they want us!). The layout has been at Cultra, twice in the last few years.  It will appear (all being well) in "Railway Modeller" this autumn - august/september, I am not sure which month, at the moment..

Colm

Before I forget, a wee video of an excursion on Bleach Green at the AMRSS show at Glasgow last month.

76 and 79 in charge.  Actually, i suspect two U2s wouldn't have been able to haul that lot up Bleach Green (I may be wrong) but these two have tender drives with traction tyres, so no problem at all!

Colm

• 8 months later...

Bleach Green at Warley National 2016.

The layout was awarded the best 4mm layout in the Show.  Well done to Ken Gillen, Ian Sinclair and Colm Flanagan for a great achievement.

IMG_4636.JPG

Ken being presented with this award by Pete Waterman. 

Archived