The Bleach Green Project

colmflanagan

For over a year now some of us have been planning and working on a major layout project - to model in 4mm scale the Bleach Green Viaduct (or the Greenisalnd Viaducts as per the LMS NCC ).

The first picture shows some of the woodwork involved.

post-4092-0-33718600-1350940833_thumb.jpg

An incredibly complex series of levels.and gradients which our master carpenter Ken Gillen has contructed. We decided on a ruling gradient of approx 1:48 for the model - the real thing is 1:76 - tests showed that our Moguls and Jeeps would pull 6-7 coaches up this without too much slipping - pretty much the same as the real things, we understand.

post-4092-0-12935200-1350940914_thumb.jpg

Matters have been complicated by the fact that the layout size, at 26 feet long by 12 feet wide, is too big to erect completely in the building where we are constructing it. So we have had to use a church hall for testing the layout as a whole..

post-4092-0-61123800-1350940973_thumb.jpg

Control is DC and the era chosen is generally late 1950s - mid 1960s - UTA/early NIR. Track is Scaleway Code 75 on the scenic section and Peco code 100 on the storage roads. The viaducts are mostly card, Bleach Green Halt is plasticard, as is the mill..

post-4092-0-07017500-1350941078_thumb.jpg

This is a work in progress, - and will be for a while yet - but it will be at the Model Railway Day in the Cultra Tranport Museum Railway Gallery on 10th November. 10-5. Normal entrance charges wiill apply and the opening times are 10-5.

post-4092-0-83038200-1350941028_thumb.jpg

Colm,

Looking forward to seeing this layout at Cultra - it's an area I knew well in the early sixties. Hardly recognisable now with so many houses completely surrounding it. Isn't it bad when you reach the stage when you can regularly say "I remember this place when it was all fields!"

Murray

Nice to see an ambitious layout on the Irish network. Will look good with your collection on it.

The coarse grasswork on the embankments is particularly convincing.

(I was only 10 when I reached the stage at which I could say, "I remember this place when it was all fields," so I wouldn't worry about it.)

Alan

Colm this is stunning, didn't realise it was on such a huge scale! Agree with the quality of the scenic work but the whole thing really is magnificent, including as it does every detail of the area, such as the mill siding and of course the two platforms of the halt - the halt platforms seem to me illuminated too. Many congratulations to all involved - am shuddering at the thought of the effort involved in transporting this!

Colm may I congratulate you all on a magnificent creation - the photos above only give a taste of the layout, nothing compares to seeing it in person as I just have at Cultra. Am totally in awe of what you all have achieved. Looking forward to articles in the railway modelling magazines with expert photography!

I have to echo Patrick's comments - spent a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours wandering through the Rail Gallery in Cultra today and without doubt the highlight for me was this layout. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I knew the area quite well in the sixties. In conversation with Ken today, I was at pains to assure him that my recollections of the area were not in any way meant as criticism - on the contrary, it is so recognisable the layout started a rush of memories for me and my brother (also there today) - so much so that we're still talking about it. Also fell into conversation with a gentleman who turned out to be a Henderson - the son of the owner of the mill before closure. That old saying - "nostalgia ain't what it used to be" - didn't apply today cos the air was thick with it. Lovely afternoon - thanks to all concerned - great layout.

• RMweb Gold

I agree. I saw the layout in Cultra and it really captures the appearance of this wonderful junction and viaducts.

There were many other very good layouts as well at the museum and a surprising number of NIR GM 112s from Murphy's stud.

From the photos,Bleach Green looks to be a stunning layout,with the viaducts really well captured in their detail.Hopefully I will get to view it in the flesh one day.Well done Colm and your team.More photos please!

Thanks Patrick to the link to your photos from Cultra,a great mixture of model and the real thing.Thanks for sharing.

Andy

Some great photos Colin,both model and real life yesterday year.Nice pic of Hunslet 102 Falcon,she is looking good.Like the photos of the corporation buses also,with the journey destination Balmoral being the bus I used back in the day.

Bleach Green looks better with every photo,the 70 class in the red and oyster livery really captures and sets the scene magnificently.Thanks for sharing.

Our thanks to all those who have given us "positive feedback" on Bleach Green. Some folk seem to have the idea that I am somehow the "team leader"; this is not so, Ken Gillen's is the mind (and the hands) behind a huge amouint of the woodwork, track and scenery,and while I haven't counted the hours he has spent (nether has he as far as I know!) it is a huge amount, and far outstrips those spent by Ian Sinclair and me.. Without his knowledge and drive you'd still be looking at Killagan.

Here are a few more photos of "Bleach Green"; We were all pleased with the way it ran, even if a ten coach (and brown van) train on a 1;50 gradient proved just too much for the coupling mountings of the second engine! I shall have to use epoxy resin for the next attempt.

post-4092-0-84542500-1352934620_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-05447300-1352934689_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-80485100-1352934359_thumb.jpg

The signals at Bleach Green were 2 aspect searchlight type.

post-4092-0-15163600-1352934431_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-16597300-1352934477_thumb.jpg

The valley between the viaducts is known as Valentine's Glen

post-4092-0-13356100-1352934539_thumb.jpg

post-4092-0-21227000-1352934174_thumb.jpg

We have a number of improvements to do, and detailing to add, before BG goes out to the public again, probably in May 2013 at Bangor.

Colm Flanagan

Thank you Patrick & Colin for your photographs. There was a lot of inspiration there, besides the museum stuff. Patrick, is that NCC railway built by Tony Ragg & co in 7mm/ft? One of your photos shows a very impressive WT tank!

It for sure! Great detail in this scale and the builders took full advantage!

Archived