Warship Liveries

westerner

Agreed, and that photo can only really have been taken during the first 6 months of 1968, because D808 went blue in July of that year.

Marvellous.

It never ceases to amaze me that, even over 45 years later, some gems keep surfacing that I can't remember seeing before.

• RMweb Gold

well 810 had OHLE warning flashes down its flanks in the same timescale

http://dieselimagegallery.com/detail/154-Class-42;42;Warship;D810;Cockade;Green-livery;Green;Full-yellow-ends;GFY;Bristol;Bristol-Temple-Meads;Type-4;2441968;1968;Jim-Binnie;0500;D810-1-S.html

so loco on the left is 810? Go on Geoff tell us, you tease.

Neil

It's obvious if you know what you are looking for. On D808 the edges of the OHLE warnings are aligned with the end of the handrails. D810 has them further in so that the centre of the OHLE aligns with the end of the handrails.

The position of the OHLE wanings is a very good way to tell individual Warships apart. And no, I don't remember them or even have a list. I just compare the photo of an unknown loco with photos of known ones. All I did tonight was refer to photos of D808 and D810 in my files.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Both eventually had OHLE on the sides. What I don't know is when they got them.

Geoff Endacott

Somewhere in the mists of time, I, Like you Geoff, had a photographic record of the Warships, alas long gone a few computers ago.

What I do remember is that 810 got them first, (according to the dates supplied with the photos, which, as we all know, aren't always infallible.)

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if a pic of the two BSYP Warships together exists?

You never know what may emerge Phill - I never thought I'd live to see 808 and 810 together (except on my layout!). Before you ask no I don't have an image of them, only D831.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

What was the reasoning for repainting from green to maroon?  Apart from the Western's, all other loco's were painted green or was it the Western Region being pedantic lol.

Julian Sprott

• 1 year later...

Gents

Can anyone confirm for me two things:

- which other loco, besides D831, was painted blue, with small yellow warning panels; and,

- whether or not the blue used was, as I suspect, the pre-rail blue that featured in XP64 livery?

Looking at pictures of D831, to me it looks slightly paler that RB, paler than the blue on coaches in the same photo, for instance.

Many thanks in advance, Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that I agree. They could have started out the same colour.

Have you see the other pictures of D831, though? To me, it looks distinctly paler.

Many thanks, Kevin

It did - definitely looked different when originally painted in blue but that might be something to do with it being gloss, or the undercoat (probably Swindon's 'standard' apple green like colour?) or ????

The "apple green", assuming it was a pale green, was probably zinc-chromate, which is a brilliant undercoat, with preservative properties, but seems to have fallen into disuse since it was found to be carcinogenic - painters who used it frequently already knew it was nasty stuff, causing skin rashes in repeated exposure.

That might explain the apparent colour of D831, but I still wonder .....

Kevin

The "apple green", assuming it was a pale green, was probably zinc-chromate, which is a brilliant undercoat, with preservative properties, but seems to have fallen into disuse since it was found to be carcinogenic - painters who used it frequently already knew it was nasty stuff, causing skin rashes in repeated exposure.

That might explain the apparent colour of D831, but I still wonder .....

Kevin

That  green primer used to be seen a lot on replacement Oleo and Dowty buffers; I always thought it was used because of links with the aviation industry (at least in Dowty's case). If anyone wants to replicate it, I used something called 'NATO Cockpit Green' from Humbrol.

Archived