Warship Liveries

westerner

It was hugely common in all industries, but Wikipedia says that ford were the first company to employ it widely.

Colour varies a bit, and it tends to look paler when dry, but here is a sample.

Quite a lot used to go walkies from BR, for use on everything from window frames to car restorations ......

post-26817-0-06747200-1485193584_thumb.jpg

The reason why you get the different shades of Blue is because Swindon use to mix their own paint.

I was once told by someone who worked I Swindon Stores there was never a colour listed as Chromatic Blue it was all BR.

If you try painting a Western in BR Blue with small yellow ends the Blue does look a different shade.  

• RMweb Gold

That  green primer used to be seen a lot on replacement Oleo and Dowty buffers; I always thought it was used because of links with the aviation industry (at least in Dowty's case). If anyone wants to replicate it, I used something called 'NATO Cockpit Green' from Humbrol.

The green on replacement buffers was not the same colour as the Swindon undercoat being much 'yellower' than the paint used in A Shop at Swindon.

• RMweb Gold

Yes the colour shade looks different, but then it seems to have more of a matt finish.

It has been postulated elsewhere that the different colours of blue were down to different brush and spray applications and the varying varnish finishes. This and the different ways works have of interpreting and mixing the "new" specification of the blue paint, look at the various interpretations of the standard yellow warning panel!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Another of D831 of mine, yes it does look different to "standard" BR blue if there was ever such a thing.

attachicon.gifIMG_1942.PNG

Neil

I would always go with the advice of the late Peter Denny of Buckingham fame "if it looks right, it is right". I recall a long winded series of letters, evidence etc a number of years ago over the LNER Apple Green on Hornby's 4472 against the real thing at the time back in the 1980s in the Railway Modeller. Someone even resprayed a Hornby model with some left overs from the preserved 4472's paint. Yes the colours looked slightly different it seems owing to how the light was being reflected back from the somewhat smaller surfaces of the model.

So I will stick with the Peter Denny principle for my intended models of D830 & D831, if I am happy with it then thats all that matters on my layout. Try looking back through Pixie's meanderings in the 2mm thread for his rather nice rendition of I think it was Majestic in N/2mm from a Farish repaint.

Meanwhile I continue to try and find what we can get to publish for posterity, glad the shot of Monarch at Waterloo has found a good home once published.

TTFN

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Another of D831 of mine, yes it does look different to "standard" BR blue if there was ever such a thing.

attachicon.gifIMG_1942.PNG

Neil

If there ever was such a thing as Chromatic Blue that is it.  To my mind at least.  There is a close match between that and the Dapol representation of Chromatic Blue on their class 52 release for Kernow MRC allowing for the difference in colour perception between a photograph and a model.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile I continue to try and find what we can get to publish for posterity, glad the shot of Monarch at Waterloo has found a good home once published.

TTFN

Kevin

I'd forgotten it was a Strathwood eBay purchase Kevin, of which I'm the proud owner of many, plus your fine informative books.

Neil

The reason why you get the different shades of Blue is because Swindon use to mix their own paint.

I was once told by someone who worked I Swindon Stores there was never a colour listed as Chromatic Blue it was all BR.

If you try painting a Western in BR Blue with small yellow ends the Blue does look a different shade.  

Agree with you there Teddybear.

I have (brush) repainted a 42 as D830 in blue syp.Put next to a 42 In blue fye,it does seem to have a slightly different appearance...

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hmmm....Andy Y's livery chart at http://rmweb.co.uk/photos/Class_43_liveries_BRM_review.pdf gives D864 original blue livery application as October 1966 - is May 1967 when she went in to early blue with arrows under numbers under cab windows?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I'd made a spreadsheet out of the dates in The Book of the Warships. I don't have the book handy but there were BSYP repaints from Oct 66 (D830/831 for instance), but the first with full yellows were reported as May the following year - that's if I've transposed the data correctly.

Just checked Book Of The Warships and D864 was released in BFYE in November '66, with the burnt umber side skirts, double arrows on the cabsides and serif numbers below the engine room windows. In '67 it suffered some serious collision damage, went back into Swindon Works and emerged with the numbers and arrows on the cabsides on 10/5/67.

Just checked Book Of The Warships and D864 was released in BFYE in November '66, with the burnt umber side skirts, double arrows on the cabsides and serif numbers below the engine room windows. In '67 it suffered some serious collision damage, went back into Swindon Works and emerged with the numbers and arrows on the cabsides on 10/5/67.

Thank you for that, would you possibly be able to tell me which Warship was the first to have the Standard Blue, Full Yellow Ends and the date ?

As it seems that the first one in BFYE had a couple of differences as stated above.

Many thanks, Ian 

Talking about BR blue what is the right one another colour used on the hydraulics which was said to be a different shade was when the Westerns were in maroon the Swindon maroon was a more pink shade of maroon to what Crewe used ,it was said that Crewe used carriage maroon which was a different shade to the Swindon mix.

If you look at some the Warships and Westerns that carried maroon and full yellow ends the maroon does look a different shade.

Cheers Gareth

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that, would you possibly be able to tell me which Warship was the first to have the Standard Blue, Full Yellow Ends and the date ?

As it seems that the first one in BFYE had a couple of differences as stated above.

Many thanks, Ian 

So there were 4 variations of blue on warships....

D864 - as detailed above

Then numerous with numbers and arrows under cab windows at both ends - which D864 subsequently acquired and ran with until scrapped

Then D846/7 with arrows over nameplate - D847 went for scrap in this variant

Finally Arrows under nameplate - is that the variant you are querying?

IIRC 42s only carried versions 2 and 4 of BFYE. And there were also variations of which number font was used certainly within version 2.

Cheers

Phil

So there were 4 variations of blue on warships....

D864 - as detailed above

Then numerous with numbers and arrows under cab windows at both ends - which D864 subsequently acquired and ran with until scrapped

Then D846/7 with arrows over nameplate - D847 went for scrap in this variant

Finally Arrows under nameplate - is that the variant you are querying?

IIRC 42s only carried versions 2 and 4 of BFYE. And there were also variations of which number font was used certainly within version 2.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for info, I think what I am looking for is the first BFYE loco in option 4, arrows under nameplate, with the date she was painted ?

Many thanks,  Ian

Archived