Every picture tells a story.........

br2975

Ladies & gentlemen, I propose a new thread.

A contributor posts one of his or her photographs (of a topical or historical Welsh biased subject) and includes an extended caption describing the event, subject etc.

The topic could be something out of the ordinary, or even mundane - it's quite often the latter that goes un-recorded.

So, in order to set the ball rolling here's my dip into the archives.

Saturday 18th. March, 1989

Wales v England in the Five Nations, at the National Stadium.

I spent the day recording the 'rugex' workings on film, and on paper recording the stock of each train.

Such were the demands on the Valley Lines units, additional units were drafted in from Tyseley, including this four car hybrid set.

One wonders about the timekeeping, as the Canton Cl.116 sets had been reduced to twin units by the removal of the trailer in order for them to maintain Sprinter (Cl.150/2) timings - so a four car set with two trailers must have struggled a bit.

As for my then seven year old photographic assistant (left) he celebrated his 30th birthday last month, and now spends half his life at sea on a research vessel.

Brian R

I await someone to take up this thread with the next post .....

post-1599-0-16354100-1350991975_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Would Taffs Well station (aka Walnut Tree Jct) be behind the buildings to the right ?

http://www.roscalen....eeJct/index.htm

Brian R

Spot on Brian. The junction of course being Walnut Tree Jcn where the Rhymney joined the TVR mainline at the bottom of what we all knew locally as 'the big hill' - pictures taken in 1973. So as reward for correct identification here's a nice sunny view of Radyr Quarry Signalbox in the summer of that year and from the days when I always carried a camera at work.

post-6859-0-48069900-1351161182_thumb.jpg

Hi all

14th Jan 1987, I was on 0600-1400 in Pembrey box, it was a nice dry crisp morning with no sign of snow when I arrived in work, by mid morning when 47157 appeared heading west this was the scene, i drove home at 1400 driving over snowdrifts, it took me 3 hours to cover the 15 miles home!!.

post-4712-0-71079200-1351166304_thumb.jpg

Hi all

14th Jan 1987, I was on 0600-1400 in Pembrey box, it was a nice dry crisp morning with no sign of snow when I arrived in work, by mid morning when 47157 appeared heading west this was the scene, i drove home at 1400 driving over snowdrifts, it took me 3 hours to cover the 15 miles home!!.

post-4712-0-71079200-1351166304_thumb.jpg

Ian,

I think the WDA advert to the right dates the picture a bit !

Brian

Something I came across, circa 1989.

Any takers ?

Brian R

This picture had me puzzled so I showed this picture to a friend who has identified the wagon as the modified remains of Pump Wagon No 185.

See figure 331 in Freight Wagons and Loads in service on the Great Western Railway and British Rail, Western Region by J. H. Russell.

Any better suggestions?

Gordon A

Bristol

This picture had me puzzled so I showed this picture to a friend who has identified the wagon as the modified remains of Pump Wagon No 185.

See figure 331 in Freight Wagons and Loads in service on the Great Western Railway and British Rail, Western Region by J. H. Russell.

Any better suggestions?

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon,

You are spot on - the wagons featured in Russell; grounded in Cardiff Docks alongside the former dock engineering shop, and across the road from the former Cardiff East Dock Shed.

Brian

post-1599-0-95347700-1351369316_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I remember that cold snap very well, although at the time I was several hundred miles away, freezing my nuts off in an unheated flat in Newcastle. Over the Christmas period, some "scrotes" had broken into our flat and stolen the gas meter, to get at the all the 50 pence pieces in it. When the gas board came to connect a new meter (all but accusing me and my flatmate of stealing it ourselves) they refused to activate it as their system detected a leak in our gas plumbing. So we had to wait for the snow to ease off before another gas technician could lift all the floorboards in the living room, trying to locate the leak, which they never found and eventually put down to the pilot light on the gas oven. Never mind, there was a warm pub not too far away...

• RMweb Gold

I invariably made it down the other side - but I only ever went down to South Wales on cheap Sunday excursion fares in the days before I had legitimate reasons for crossing that bridge (like a week on nights in the dmu shed, not recommended to those wishing to remain sane especially as it was a trial week for various changes to the working which I had suggested in a project report).

A happy memory of some seriously noisy trips up and down the Rhymney valley. The thrash experienced whilst the 374s tried to keep to sprinter times between the stations was exceptional and I can still hear the sequence of events in my head to this day!

Tickover, guards whistle, brakes off, instant full throttle until braking point for next station, screech of brakes as train comes to stand, slamming of doors, guards whistle....repeat all day. Lovely.

37405 launches from Caerphilly towards Cardiff, 12/11/2005.

post-7179-0-41211800-1351523043_thumb.jpg

Happy days indeed.

Jon F

Am I right in thinking this bridge is now gone/closed off? Haven't been down that way for some time!

Cheers

Alastair

Am I right in thinking this bridge is now gone/closed off? Haven't been down that way for some time!

Cheers

Alastair

The bridge was 'closed' several years ago - apparently unsafe, and allegedly due to a very minor dispute as to who should fund any repairs, refurbishment when in reality few members of staff arrive at the depot on foot, or via the bridge which now accesses the Pullman Rail (Colas) area of the depot.

To the left of the photo is now located the Network Rail operations centre and to the right, on the site of part of the former brickyard is a staff car park.

I was led to believe the bridge obscures one of the signals proposed under the cardiff area resignalling so its days are numbered.

Brian

This bridge is located some half a mile west (up) from Ninian Park (Halt) on the Cardiff (Radyr Branch Jct) - Radyr line - formerly the Penarth Harbour & Dock Railway.

The bridge spans Sanatorium Road and directly behind the photographer (me !) is another bridge carrying the South Wales main line (just west of Leckwith Jct).

The numbers indicate what is allegedly WW.II shrapnel damage.

Also apparent are the differing forms of construction employed in the abutments and wing walls.

Those on the left (the down direction) are the original stone, whereas the right hand abutment (up direction) appear to be either better dressed stone or concrete blocks.

This is due to road widening many years ago.

Brian R.

post-1599-0-59719600-1351612849_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

My contribution comes from a bit further north than the previous photos. It's one of the few photos I took as a lad, toy trains came up far higher in my list of priorities than cameras so I had to beg the use of the parental Instamatic. It's Tywyn the photo having been taken on one of many family holidays to the coasts of north and mid Wales. I'm afraid I can't tie down the year exactly but I can say with confidence that it would be the early seventies. It features the coast pick up heading back to Machynlleth, and not only informs my recent model making output (Shell Island, Abergwynant and Morfa) but also serves as a marker of the happy memories of the area that influenced our move to Wales five years ago.

post-6793-0-55813900-1351615188.jpg

Archived