Stockrington - Mojo ignited. Thanks, Heljan!

jukebox

On 08/05/2020 at 18:28, gordon s said:

Enjoyed that Scott. The landscaping is very good.

If you have lost a bit of one of your loco's, it's sitting on the outer line at 2.20 in.....

Sometimes OCD can be useful...:D

Thanks Gordon.

I had seen that object in the 4ft, and assumed it was some landscaping flock... but on closer examination, it turns out to be a shouldered screw.  I will need to check just who the culprit is.

And now, a mea culpa.

I had a embarrassing moment of gluttony this week.  I have been culling a load of older and inappropriate coaches via eBay this last three weeks, and shifted to locos last weekend.  I have been collecting locos since around 1993, and with 25 years of advancement, and hindsight, can see that some are just not needed/wanted any more.  I'm culling region inappropriate locos, that don't have  a reasonable excuse to be shedded in North East England - such as an N2, a J52, and a 57XX pannier...

I also have a few older Bachmann split chassis locos that, even if I did modify them for DCC (and I have done one or two, but it is a big effort - involving grinding chassis blocks, drilling holes into mazak to take screws - about 3 hrs work per loco...), there is the real risk the axle muffs will split, rendering them useless.  

So I have been making some hard decisions, and culling numbers.  In my delving - of various packing boxes accumulated over 20 years - I realised I had two identical black Hornby B1's. Not too much of a crime, as I am willing and able to renumber one and have a pair of stable mates.  I also have an old Bachmann one, that I did the DCC conversion on, and also did the split axle repair. But knowing it's lineage, and predisposition to eventually fail, I figure it's better disposed of.

Here's a short video of it on test that I made for eBay - it still runs beautifully, especially at low speed (tho the eccentricity in the centre driver as a result of the split axle repair is rather more obvious here than when it is running on track :o  ):

Well that made three B1's.  As I dug further, I found a near new black Bachmann B1 with DCC ready chassis that I forgot I have.  Four.  Then, to my utter horror, I opened a box of Gresley suburban coaches I bought from a deceased estate sale in Perth.... a third black Hornby B1 with the same running number that I'd bought for a very competitive price at the time!  I just shrank with embarrassment.  Five B1s.  Three identical.  I honestly had no idea.  :unsure::wacko::blink:

I thought I'd started to get sensible with my buying around 2010, by holding myself back from acquiring and NRM City of Truro...

The clean-out continues.

Cheers,

Scott

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Hi Scott,

I'm in the market for Hornby B1s, though it may be a bit too much of a job trying to get them over here at the moment.

Hi Gilbert - I would have loved to arrange a swap of something with you, but our postal service has gone postal as it were, and the charge to ship even a 1kg parcel by air to the UK is ridiculous.  About £25 to airmail a loco to the UK would just kill it.  It's a shame because there's enough folk here that in times pre-Covid were shuttling back and forth between the UK and Aus, that it could probably have hitched a lift in someone's suitcase.  I do appreciate the thought, though.

The upside is with everyone stuck at home, there seems to be a few more buyers around, which helps push the price back a bit closer to what I paid.

Cheers

Scott

Some strange goings-on at Stockrington this weekend...

It's got a chimney. And a cab.  And a late BR emblem.

But it's rather boxy.  Yet it's not a Volvo.

(remember to tweak the settings to HD for the best picture quality)

Perhaps I am just having a fever dream...

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, jukebox said:

Some strange goings-on at Stockrington this weekend...

It's got a chimney. And a cab.  And a late BR emblem.

But it's rather boxy.  Yet it's not a Volvo.

(remember to tweak the settings to HD for the best picture quality)

Perhaps I am just having a fever dream...

Cheers

Scott

I've got two of those Scott - both acquired as donor chassis. The first one went in to a detailed Lima J50 body and then Hornby released their J50. The second one was due to go in to a South East Fine Cast N7 body and then Oxford Rail released their N7. Ho hum. 

Your scenics look great Scott, the train has a proper journey to make. 

Regards, 

Brian 

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brian D said:

I've got two of those Scott - both acquired as donor chassis. The first one went in to a detailed Lima J50 body and then Hornby released their J50. The second one was due to go in to a South East Fine Cast N7 body and then Oxford Rail released their N7. Ho hum. 

Your scenics look great Scott, the train has a proper journey to make. 

Regards, 

Brian 

Thanks very much, Brian.  Running a short train, rather than just a light engine, quite tickled my fancy.  As you say, there was a sense of journey.  I just let it orbit around the room, and shifted around with my phone, catching snippets to stitch together afterward.  By editing them into "up" and "down" directions, it flowed quite well.  Funnily enough, when I get back to the scenics, I'll lose that panning shot above the cutting - but am hoping the "glimpsed between trees" views make up for it.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

So what's really been going on?  Am I about to covert Stockrington into a GWR BLT...? 

No.

I'd started a "rationalisation" of my stock about a month ago.  I had old Airfix and Mainline coaches in my downstairs display cabinet that I'd scrounged over the last 30 years, and now I'm more educated, and modelling standards have moved on, they needed to be disposed of.  I had already cleared out my US outline diesels and streamliners four or so years back (or so I thought, till a BN GP38 peeked out from the bottom of a box on Saturday... :o ), and finding the quintuple B1's gave me the push I needed to really prune.

There's logic in my madness.  Besides needing to test run different types of locos on that dodgy piece of track, the time it takes to sell on eBay gives me breathing space to be sure I am making the right call about the remedy, and to recharge my mojo to get stuck into tree making.

So I've spend a lot of time testing, photographing, and listing stuff on eBay.  5 years ago I'd have struggled to part with most of it.  There's nothing tatty, and things like a tender drive Mallard, the first "new" loco I bought when getting back into modelling as an adult, do have some sentimental value.  But these things just don't cut it amongst the wonderful output from manufacturers lately, so pragmatism rules the day.

The other conundrum I have been thinking about is whether to keep an 8-road loco shed for Stockrington MPD.  I can see some down sides in having ~24 locos hidden in storage, and trying to see the cabside number to call up a DCC address...  so have been thinking of reducing the shed to 4 roads, and having 4 more open tracks alongside.  There's precedent for both: my current shed layout is based on Stockton (8 roads) but Haverton Hill nearby is almost identical, with just a 4 road shed.  For what it's worth, I'm leaning toward the latter now.

In the mean time, enjoy the visiting locos.  There's another guest appearance due before the week is out.  Nothing like this critter...

WS01.jpg.0b01fe475761ca43fc3eafa02a588670.jpg

Regards

Scott

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/05/2020 at 11:45, jukebox said:

The other conundrum I have been thinking about is whether to keep an 8-road loco shed for Stockrington MPD.  I can see some down sides in having ~24 locos hidden in storage, and trying to see the cabside number to call up a DCC address...  so have been thinking of reducing the shed to 4 roads, and having 4 more open tracks alongside.  There's precedent for both: my current shed layout is based on Stockton (8 roads) but Haverton Hill nearby is almost identical, with just a 4 road shed.  For what it's worth, I'm leaning toward the latter now. 

Hi Scott.

I know a keen modeller who had exactly the same problem - a large loco shed limiting his view of the inmates. He came up with a very simple and low-tech solution. Fixed to the edge of the baseboard was a large white magnetic board with a diagrammatic representation of the lines inside on it. Each engine that might be stabled in the shed had a little laminated ticket with its cabside number and DCC address printed on it. Each ticket had a small magnet on the back (you can buy them from stationery suppliers). When he ran an engine into the shed he put the ticket on the section of track where the loco stopped. He could then see exactly where each engine was and what its address was. It made life really simple.

Best wishes

Cam

• Like 5

Corona...?

Corona Nation?

Coronation!

I do have a soft spot for Princess Coronations - esp. in LMS lined black.  I've held onto Duchess of Sutherland for quite some time, but she's headed for eBay now, as part of the big 2020 rationalisation; LMS Pacifics don't make the cut even as random interlopers in the North East.

I gave the big black beast one final fling around Stockrington tonight; with 11 on, she just romped away (no slipping, and never notched more than 70/128) - a really delightful locomotive to have owned.

I won't normally run trains this long - 6-7 makes more sense visually - but it was good seeing a long train run.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, jukebox said:

Corona...?

Corona Nation?

Coronation!

I do have a soft spot for Princess Coronations - esp. in LMS lined black.  I've held onto Duchess of Sutherland for quite some time, but she's headed for eBay now, as part of the big 2020 rationalisation; LMS Pacifics don't make the cut even as random interlopers in the North East.

I gave the big black beast one final fling around Stockrington tonight; with 11 on, she just romped away (no slipping, and never notched more than 70/128) - a really delightful locomotive to have owned.

I won't normally run trains this long - 6-7 makes more sense visually - but it was good seeing a long train run.

Cheers

Scott

Hi,

I'd hang on to her.   The late David Jenkinson used to run what he called "funny trains" on his layouts.  They were ones that would never have been seen there, but he liked them, and that was enough.  If it was good enough for him.... And Rule 1 applies!   

I'm at the track laying stage of a small EM layout, based in Glasgow in the late 1960's.  Type 1 diesels of cl15  never appeared there, as far as I kmow, but I like them so one will eventually appear.  If it needs justifying I will say it's on trial in the area!

Roja

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 20:17, CameronL said:

Hi Scott.

I know a keen modeller who had exactly the same problem - a large loco shed limiting his view of the inmates. He came up with a very simple and low-tech solution. Fixed to the edge of the baseboard was a large white magnetic board with a diagrammatic representation of the lines inside on it. Each engine that might be stabled in the shed had a little laminated ticket with its cabside number and DCC address printed on it. Each ticket had a small magnet on the back (you can buy them from stationery suppliers). When he ran an engine into the shed he put the ticket on the section of track where the loco stopped. He could then see exactly where each engine was and what its address was. It made life really simple.

Best wishes

Cam

Sorry, Cameron, I did mean to reply to this earlier, but can't find the photo I was going to reference.

This is an *excellent* idea.  Sometimes the non-digital, analog ways of old are best.

When I read it, I reminded me of an old Steam Railway?/Steam World? article written by a driver rostered to the royal train (Tom Stavis?). In it, there's a photo of him at Camden Shed, and he's standing in front of a loco allocation blackboard, where loco numbers are chalked, and the turn they are booked for next to them.  The system you describe would be a lot like that, and work very well.

The only rumination I have now, is if visually it's better to have a nice mob of locos stabled in view, rather than 75% of them hidden.  On the plus side, it'd keep the dust off!

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As part of my clean up, I have been emptying the shelves of the display case in my study of inappropriate rolling stock.  In that same case are some projects that stopped mid-way because I lost enthusiasm, or they got the better of me, my divorce derailed my mojo, etc, etc.

One of them was fitting a DCC decoder to a split chassis Bachmann J72.

I actually did the work, but it ran like a loose bag of bolts, so I pulled the decoder out, and never bothered re-assembling it.

Well 6-8 years on, with a bit more patience, if not eyesight and manual dexterity, I thought I'd give this project one last look in; if it didn't work, off to eBay for a low-ball disposal.

I know people get scared when they hear DCC + split chassis.  No real need, just use common sense.

In this case, dismantle, remove the motor contacts that are attached to the frame sides, isolate, and replace with feed wires to and from the decoder chip.

Pilot4.jpg.ad85d60e29df69eeec768091a8bc81e8.jpg

Pilot1.jpg.502ee8492c3dd485332cb6579994bfc6.jpg

Pilot6.jpg.2b2b05436320e1f1bc56f43fa326a052.jpg

I drilled a couple of small dia holes in the top if the chassis block, and use brass screws to trap the back and red track feeds.

Pilot2.jpg.53264c6490a2932b7896c7a2d62bc82b.jpg

The chip is a TCS M1, which sits discretely next to the driver in the cab.

Pilot5.jpg.3d0ff778e86132f68f09b7ae7f661306.jpg

It's a *very* tight fit - after I took these photos, I had to carve away some of the heat shrink, so the cab front would sit down correctly.

You don't see much in there unless you are up close, anyway.

1705a.jpg.ebd4e5d0a68b34dcb09dd7f461332f5a.jpg

1705b.jpg.8e6bd0aeb107d6548fbe51bc43f64841.jpg

On the rolling road, the results were not horrible...

But on the open track, she still ran like a dog.  Having said that, I noticed now much better the Bachmann Pannier I am selling ran - even more so than 60012 (another Bachmann split chassis) so I did some research, and it turns out it's a common complaint; The old split chassis construction is not conducive to good current collection (and the A4 has no more pick ups than an 0-6-0). 

But unlike the Princess Coronation, the two blue A4's and the J72 belong on Stockrington.  They are now the only split chassis locos that I have, but I will look to replace them as they expire in the future. In the meantime, they will need scrupulously clean tracks when they run, as the short mini story that follows shows...

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
replaced 2nd video with updated version
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And to finish off the weekend, a little behind the scenes tale... literally.

I set up the rake of Thompson coaches on the layout one evening mid-last week, and sat Duchess of Sutherland up front.  Keyed in the loco's number and away she went.  Across the big bridge smoothly and into the tunnel...   the train was quite long, so before the last coach entered the tunnel, I was around the valley side, watching the progress past the farm when ZAP!  The train stopped dead.

All I could hear was the clicking of the PSX - the circuit breaker I have inline to protect the system (and loco chips) from shorts.

Click... click... click... as it reset, tripped, reset tripped.

Huh?  One by one I took the 11 coaches off the tracks.

Click... click... click...

I took the loco off

Click... click... click...

It's moments like that, you just shake your head and want to walk away.  I'd done a comprehensive check of the circuits when i was building four years ago, and had been running test trains for the last three weeks now. What could be wrong?

I could hear the PSX circuit board clicking on and off, but one of the curious things with DCC (DC too, I assume?) is that I can hear the short itself - a little zap, like a cricket, right where the short is...  In this case, it was in the tunnel.

What, The. ???????

I took my phone, leaned in across the layout, and pointed the camera into the tunnel

2405a.jpg.6b2b6982d5a092a28ce08a282579351f.jpg

Nope.  Couldn't see anything useful.  Try again:

2405b.jpg.4ba05f760a21cc3b83bddeabb56c0d25.jpg

Flash on, still nothing.

Then I remembered a trick.  If you want to see a short, turn the lights off.

So I did, and there, deep under the mountain, was a tiny spark as the PSX tried to reset.

I took my Stalled Train Pushing Rod™ and placed it just ahead of the spark, and took the photo again:

2405d.jpg.11c3f5da8dcb2d902839814e60769c47.jpg

B*gger. That's near a track feed.  Has something shorted there?  

Bear in mind, that under this section of track is the throat to the storage yard.  It's nigh on impossible to get into that area for anything useful.  But because I don't have the layout fascia on yet, at least I can photograph it from the front...

2405f.jpg.89f30c6538163ee9623e8b9e2d7c23ec.jpg

Gotcha!  Something in the 4ft.  

Take another photo from a high angle, just to be sure:

2405k.jpg.75d2671fb7abf734a692953a7f1df3eb.jpg

Yep.  It was an errant piece of chicken wire, from when I formed the hill above, maybe two years ago.  Who knows why it dropped down now, or got shifted to make a short - the train was on its first lap and only at walking pace...

Anyway, out with the vacuum cleaner, and a good hoovering of the track picked the metal up - and anything else hiding back there.

Glad to see the PSX did its job.  And don't forget the simple tricks, like turning the room lights off.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
typos
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, jukebox said:

On the rolling road, the results were not horrible...

But on the open track, she still ran like a dog.  Having said that, I noticed now much better the Bachmann Pannier I am selling ran - even more so than 60012 (another Bachmann split chassis) so I did some research, and it turns out it's a common complaint; The old split chassis construction is not conducive to good current collection (and the A4 has no more pick ups than an 0-6-0).

Watching the rolling road test the front left wheel does not run very true.

Could it be that it is losing contact with the rail when running on the main line and that is causing the stuttering. :scratchhead:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott.

It looks to me that the center driver is out of true and the quartering is also out a tad as the rod is bending at the joint when running slowly, now that could be because of the wheel being out of true or it could be out of quarter on top of the wheel issue. You can tell it's not on the axel straight because the center set of rollers wobble. I would try another wheel set.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, jukebox said:

On the plus side, it'd keep the dust off!

Say no more. I remember an  old RM article from the 70s by the great Allan Downes himself  (I think it was of a new road bridge for his layout) showing quite a long train approaching it. All the carriages had fingerprints in the dust on their roofs. It didn't add to the article.

I'd go for the big shed and the low tech solution, but Rule 1 prevails.

Best wishes

Cam

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, CameronL said:

Say no more. I remember an  old RM article from the 70s by the great Allan Downes himself  (I think it was of a new road bridge for his layout) showing quite a long train approaching it. All the carriages had fingerprints in the dust on their roofs. It didn't add to the article.

Best wishes

Cam

I had the good fortune to get to know Allan quite well, and to hear some amazing anecdotes. One of those concerened that first layout, which appeared in Railway Modeller in the 70s, and caused a sensation. I'm afraid I can't remember its name. Maybank or Mayfield, maybe. Anyway, Allan was invited to exhibit it. This caused him a big problem, as the layout was just a large diorama, no electrics, no working locomotives at all.

Allan never was interested in the operating or running. It was all the buildings and their setting in the landscape. That's why there would be dust on the stock - it never moved. It is also why he would love what Scott is doing.

• Like 3

A little bit of house-keeping with the replies here; I do like to try and get back to everyone.

On 06/05/2020 at 01:50, gordon s said:

I really hope this isn’t another pandemic......:D

You really have my sympathies Scott. Derailments are something that really gets to me. Coming from a mechanical background everything has to have a logical solution and I can spend hours looking at slow motion passes trying to spot what makes a wheel lift at a certain point. Sometimes there is no obvious answer, but once you discover what is causing a problem that others can live with, the joy is great and the pleasure you get seeing the errant loco passing ’that’ point without derailing is immense.

If it’s any consolation I have soldered a new piece of rail in place three times today and whilst matters have improved, I know it my heart it’s not good enough. The next stage will be to extend the join back another 6-8” and have a much longer piece of continual rail that will take out one or two joints. I can’t face it tonight, so will attack it again tomorrow.

I recommend you do the same. When you’ve had enough for the day, stop and have a beer. It will still be there tomorrow and a good night’s sleep changes everything.

Good luck....

Decision made about a week ago, Gordon: I'm going to lift that curve and relay it, hopefully using a single piece of track.  There's a rail join there that may not be helping, but obviously some twist, too.  Better to face that now, than have it irk me once the MPD shed is built in front of it.

On 22/05/2020 at 11:57, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Should have been No 19.

manna

There is no No.19 on my roster, Manna - but something much more appropriate will debut next week...

On 22/05/2020 at 17:24, 37Oban said:

Hi,

I'd hang on to her.   The late David Jenkinson used to run what he called "funny trains" on his layouts.  They were ones that would never have been seen there, but he liked them, and that was enough.  If it was good enough for him.... And Rule 1 applies!   

I'm at the track laying stage of a small EM layout, based in Glasgow in the late 1960's.  Type 1 diesels of cl15  never appeared there, as far as I kmow, but I like them so one will eventually appear.  If it needs justifying I will say it's on trial in the area!

Roja

I took a deep breath, and have scheduled her for eBay.  Funnily enough, something trivial tipped the scales - the 20th C overhead warning decals.  That, and knowing Hornby now has a better model available - albeit at a much greater price.  If I miss her in the future, I'll think about replacing with a newer version that is at least period prototypical.  Of course she may not sell on eBay - the green B1 didn't - so there is that!

9 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Watching the rolling road test the front left wheel does not run very true.

Could it be that it is losing contact with the rail when running on the main line and that is causing the stuttering. :scratchhead:

I do suspect something along those lines.  The newer Bachmann Pannier chassis have a sprung centre driver, and I think that makes all the pick up difference.

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Scott.

It looks to me that the center driver is out of true and the quartering is also out a tad as the rod is bending at the joint when running slowly, now that could be because of the wheel being out of true or it could be out of quarter on top of the wheel issue. You can tell it's not on the axel straight because the center set of rollers wobble. I would try another wheel set.

Regards Lez. 

I agree - you can see the centre roller being shunted back and forth as the wheel rotates - and a slight kick in the front left wheel, too.  These will be signs that the plastic axles are on their way out...  which I'm resigned to having happen to all my split chassis locos.  But as someone else here on RMWeb philosophised, "I'll run them till they drop, and then that's it for them".  I thought about a Comet chassis for the J72, but I might as well spring for a new Bachmann DCC ready one when the time comes - it's a tidy little model, and very regionally appropriate for me.

8 hours ago, CameronL said:

Best wishes

Cam

Food for thought, Cam!  My fixed sets of carriages will all be in held on low level storage tracks, so they should be okay.  It's just the photographic possibilities that is whetting my appetite for open storage... looking across four shed tracks, with the mainline embankment in the background... would make for some great photos.

14 minutes ago, great northern said:

I had the good fortune to get to know Allan quite well, and to hear some amazing anecdotes. One of those concerened that first layout, which appeared in Railway Modeller in the 70s, and caused a sensation. I'm afraid I can't remember its name. Maybank or Mayfield, maybe. Anyway, Allan was invited to exhibit it. This caused him a big problem, as the layout was just a large diorama, no electrics, no working locomotives at all.

Allan never was interested in the operating or running. It was all the buildings and their setting in the landscape. That's why there would be dust on the stock - it never moved. It is also why he would love what Scott is doing.

Hopefully I'll always have moving trains, Gilbert!  But I do want them to be "in the landscape", hence the scale of what I've imagined.  Watching even the Duchess + 11 being dwarfed by my temporary big span bridge was rather thrilling as I was filming last week - there was a real sense of scale, knowing how large a Princess Coronation is, and seeing it dwarfed by the 1200mm span.  As I opined on Page 1 of this thread, my modelling tastes won't be for everyone, and I undoubtedly will get some things wrong (Mr.Wright would be apoplectic, I'm sure!) but as I say form time to time here: It's a glorified train set - have some fun!

As a last note about rationalisation and scale; I have a nearly completed model of 89001, plus a rake of 11 Mk.4's and a DVT.  The announcement this week that Accurascale are thinking about an RTR one hurried me to list that project on eBay.  When I set it up, I didn't have a sceniced straight long enough to photograph the whole train. It's another sharp looking model - that will hopefully end up at a home where it will be enjoyed.

2505a.jpg.a2be6b8d8e804d27ca1f2c25f376fd3c.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Well that explains a lot. It did seem a bit strange to me that someone who could produce such amazing buildings and scenery would have such grubby stock. I always read his articles with a dropped jaw (particularly as I was at the stage where I could just about handle a Superquick goods shed).

Best wishes

Cam

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Well that explains a lot. It did seem a bit strange to me that someone who could produce such amazing buildings and scenery would have such grubby stock. I always read his articles with a dropped jaw (particularly as I was at the stage where I could just about handle a Superquick goods shed).

Best wishes

Cam

He once allowed me to sit next to him in his workshop, and showed me some of his tricks and short cuts. Using those he could turn stuff out amazingly quickly. He wasn't bothered about prototype accuracy though. I once commissioned some GC station buildings, and he did them in something like S gauge instead of 00. When challenged, he said they would have been too small to see his work properly if he'd done them to the right scale!  He could be a bit of a rogue, could Allan, but a lovely man, and hugely talented. I miss him.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

What a delightful screening of so many viewpoints, an absolute justification all those decisions.....

.....    but  {as they say in all the best Chef, TV competitions.....}

.....   but............    {fill in your own personal pause length here, for tension..... }

Which artist left his complete paint set in the river??   :unknw_mini:

Wish I was there

J

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1