Stockrington - Mojo ignited. Thanks, Heljan!

jukebox

The green for the Mk X was a touch over-thinned, so stayed tacky even three days after painting on Saturday.  Luckily, the weather held out, and with Perth having some 35C late-spring weather this week, I hung it in the sun for a couple of days and it hardened up nicely:

2811a.jpg.d5a00d40ffe5cc1b974176b06afb0677.jpg

The damage to the doors is hardly noticeable

2811b.jpg.ed0b1334a7776646d14ca8985cb64e4d.jpg

The colour reproduction on the cutting mat is not great -  Here's a couple of shots of a real Mk X

7868RW_11.jpg.71212fb6bedbc4f9f84b4c8c2be607a9.jpg

476194650_MkXGreen.jpg.633d9fec43fb94d3f5a552a3b8dd49d3.jpg

When I put the model on a white card, it reproduces on my screen at home a lot closer to that, although I could even have gone darker still:

2811d.jpg.543266563b220baa4b0c50bc296c7c8d.jpg

2811e.jpg.ddda2b227d2b1d308f1e923e2a915171.jpg

The glazing unit is slightly damaged - I'm going to try some Krystal Clear and see if I can't make new rear window.

A steady hand with a 000 brush and some silver paint will pick out the grill, the headlights and the door handles.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott. Loving the MK10. I had an XJ6 many years ago. What I do when painting models is to use a plastic plant propagator as a slow bake oven. I paint the model in my spray booth on a card insert and once done that goes into the propagator then that goes into the airing cupboard for 24 hours and the jobs a good'un. It comes out with the paint nice and hard. The propagator has two vents on the top so that any moisture comes out and doesn't condense on the inside.

Regards lez.    

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I would try cutting the rear window from the rounded end of a fizzy drinks bottle, one of the larger sizes. I used it to create the wrap-round rear window for this 4mm scale Hillman Minx I made:

tCV7TDk.jpg

The plastic stays more or less clear when bent and should have nicely curved surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Great tip about the drink bottle plastic, Bernard - I put it to good use!

0512e.jpg.b16feafe16d13cdc9577c0bcdfc3070e.jpg

I really shouldn't use closeups like that - the photo is more than 100% actual size...

0512d.jpg.e183e664831432d50fc1e692117f9cf7.jpg

That rear window has the bottle plastic in it - although it doesn't look like it!

0512c.jpg.10ae5afd40e6ce1f9f4fc658ef0ee017.jpg

I was spending too much time getting the Mark X sorted, so left the front windscreen as is. The crack is easily missed - or mistaken for a wiper blade.

0512b.jpg.38d32d3caf21556a3f483b133d5b3f40.jpg

The glue is still drying on the glazing.  Once it's properly set, I'll sit the body tighter on the chassis.

But these two look the part now, and are ready to be parked on one of the back streets of Stockrington.

In the meantime, I have 24 outbuildings to finish...

Cheers

Scott

• Like 8

Just a thought on the crack; it might be made less visible by running some thinned gloss varnish into it, applied from the root of the crack, letting capilliary action draw it in. I won't guarantee it will make it entirely invisible though.

I've just put a bid on a wreck of a Husky Mk.10 Jag*, hoping to combine bits of it with an already part modified Midget Models 3.4 'Mk.I' to make either an S type or 420 (not a 420G, of course).

* Jag secured. Now to find the hacksaw!

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

Hi, 

Is the topic title tag line a reference to the song 5.15am...?

Best

Scott

Hi Scott, yes it is.  Fictional Stockrington is set right in the middle of the area referred to in that song, which is a favourite of mine.  So hence the gangster's cars parked in the street, and indeed both the current thread title and Christmas message.

2312b.jpg.560f474577a77352c381b9cc2a899963.jpg

I'll switch themes in the New Year once I finish detailing the terrace house corner - there's a paling fence, some static grass, and a few other bits and bobs to go.

Regards

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jukebox said:

Hi Scott, yes it is.  Fictional Stockrington is set right in the middle of the area referred to in that song, which is a favourite of mine.  So hence the gangster's cars parked in the street, and indeed both the current thread title and Christmas message.

2312b.jpg.560f474577a77352c381b9cc2a899963.jpg

I'll switch themes in the New Year once I finish detailing the terrace house corner - there's a paling fence, some static grass, and a few other bits and bobs to go.

Regards

Scott

Fantastic!

One of my favourite Knopfler songs. Full of Get Carter imagery, as is your scenery. Very atmospheric.

Best

Scott

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone.

No update just yet - just a note to say I didn't meet my target of finishing the terrace house corner by 31st December.  Sadly, too many life events got in the way...

But I'm close, and will post an update toward the end of the coming weekend.

Best wishes to you and you loved ones for 2020

Regards,

Scott

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And so here it is Sunday afternoon in Perth.

My self-set target from the end of October was to complete the terrace corner by 31st December, but it proved a touch ambitious.  I *did* get the houses done, but then as I looked at them in place, I was left with some odd shaped pieces of land bordering the curve of the railway.  I had flocked them with some base cover, but it just looked *wrong*. 

0401a.jpg.57288ca921eb14566b9c95ed65b3e0b0.jpg

And I also wanted to fence the railway, but couldn't decide between a fence following the railway, or one that mirrored the houses...

In the end, I started by setting the fence, opting to follow the railway alignment.  Being a masochist, I made a paling fencing using individual planks.  A lot of them - turned out I needed almost 1500mm of fence to cover the corner.

Once the fence was up, I decided it looked too bare, so set to adding long grass growing up against it. 

0401b.jpg.0567c4137fbdada4eb58e3a8334497b3.jpg

This was a bit stark, so I then applied some layering glue and static grassed it with dead grass.  Much better.

My eye then turned to the open space behind the fence...  a dumped car body? Abandoned playground?  Shopping trolleys...

The I had another idea, and in my research, came across these two images:

JS73502502.jpg.4b383960c8b24eae377de7e619a19eea.jpg

TGA-8728-1-40-182-1_10.jpg.330790fa592b31843d4a097582142244.jpg

The first is brilliant - Newcastle (Gateshead), and some manky, poorly kept allotment gardens.  The second showed me some larger allotments, on slopes, with partial or poor crops.  Inspiration!

I spread PVA down in rectangles, and covered it with coffee grounds, to represent the allotment areas, then went back on some of them, and added a thick bead, and covered this with Woodland Scenics "Earth"  to represent the rows of tilled soil.  I still have some work to do, but will eventually plant some greenery in these beds.  In the others, I am planting weeds and tufts of grass.

0501e.jpg.9891586fef44f1f8e78a4eecb932b87c.jpg

There's little outbuildings to be made, and a few other details.  These extras are what blew my schedule, but they need to happen now, while reaching into the corner is easy.

0501a.jpg.6c7f14ac10a218b840013d8c9a125c9e.jpg

The tufts are made using the recovered static grass that I vacuum up - it tends to be dirty, or blended with base material, so I collect it up, take it, and roll it between my fingers, then cut one end of the "cigar" square.  This is stood in a drop of PVA on a take away container lid.  I make 50 or so at a time. 

0501i.jpg.339a3405d3c4cb1d1b1ba5cf35282dc7.jpg

Once all the tufts are place, I sprinkle a little "Earth" on the lid and flow it around, so the glue dots are all covered.  When the glue is try, they slide off the container with the tiniest of nudges from a blade, and being PVA, are flexible - just dab some PVA on and plant.  

0501h.jpg.8e8f1ec7ce12321f60bf9e542c786924.jpg

I started by taking fresh tufts of grass and planting them into the layout, but they look too clean and tidy.  This way works better for me....

I still have a few dozen more tufts I want to plant, and have no people, but do want to add some to bring the area to life.

But it's close to finished, and here's the state of play:

0501c.jpg.b36cf995366374bf13fce3c980eeac4d.jpg

0501d.jpg.c744a8d857b9d0c539f6a9f4299a815b.jpg

0501f.jpg.9542ff64b50ba99e159ebc127b9a7254.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Happy New Year, Scott....:drink_mini:

Sitting here listening to the news and reading your update. As I got to the pics of the corner, I was thinking allotments, without realising the next pics would show exactly that solution. Uncanny!

Being brought up in North London in the early 50’s, pre fabs and allotments were everywhere. My father had just come out of the Navy and joined the Police and every little helped, so every few days we were up at the allotment growing vegetables for family meals. Everyone was in the same boat, so there were many similar plots and an immense spirit of community.

It’s amazing how each of these details really adds to the whole picture, but each of them take longer than building a new loco or railway structure. A year down the line and everything really is starting to come together. One of the reasons to keep posting updates as you can then look back and see just how far you’ve come each month and each year.

You certainly have an eye for detail and you can’t beat doing something yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Scott,

The railway fenced its own land only and wouldn't buy/acquire more than it needed, so it's as well you went for the allotments.  As the railway acquired land for earthworks, fencing should be at the top of a cutting and at the bottom of an embankment.  You should fence from the corner of the terrace down to the bridge abutments as the LNER wouldn't want to be responsible for that gorge!  Also, I think that hole wouldn't be tolerated, even in the early sixties.

Best wishes

Alan

• Like 1

On 05/01/2020 at 17:20, gordon s said:

I realise it's not finished, but you may want to add a small storage shed for tools and pea sticks to provide some height interest. Every allotment area had many storage sheds for both storage and shelter.

http://goodfoodforall.co.uk/communal-gardening-and-social-action-in-scotland

Ah, yes, that was what I described as "outbuildings"

They are underway...

0601a.jpg.0b68debe274055cb84f45efa4341211d.jpg

16 hours ago, Buhar said:

Hi Scott,

The railway fenced its own land only and wouldn't buy/acquire more than it needed, so it's as well you went for the allotments.  As the railway acquired land for earthworks, fencing should be at the top of a cutting and at the bottom of an embankment.  You should fence from the corner of the terrace down to the bridge abutments as the LNER wouldn't want to be responsible for that gorge!  Also, I think that hole wouldn't be tolerated, even in the early sixties.

Best wishes

Alan

Good spot on the fence to the bridge Alan - I agree - and well add some post and rail fencing down that slope as suggested.

There's actually two places where the local oiks have kicked in fencing panels - one at the end of each lane.  It was deliberate, as it breaks up the monotony of the slab faced fence.  You've now got me on a mission to see if I can see any such dilapidation in any reference material, to justify it.  Worse come to worse, I might add some fresh unpainted wood planks to board those holes up!

Cheers, 

Scott

And for a little colour, inspired by Gordon's show-your-mess-and-tell over at Eastwood Town, and to put a pin in the balloon of an idea that this scenery caper is all neat and tidy...

0501j.jpg.483d6f3a5a29edc4520d5f5f4dfc9d0a.jpg

That is the just palette of static grass materials I use to decorate the fence and allotment areas.

I've got another collection of tubs set aside for the "lush" side of Stockrington, with greener hues of SG.

And then there's the large box of foliage foam and flock in tubs.

Oh, and another box of coal and ballast shades in tubs and jars.

And then there is the space I lay out all the tools...

0501k.jpg.f37d7a911f083768d27c71d8270fb392.jpg

This last shot is significant, as it's the site of Northmoor MPD, which I'm thinking will be my focus for 2020.

Using the magic of Photoshop, it will take on a look something like this...

0601b.jpg.e3230a7a9c93f84313714f5052633690.jpg

If I do decide to focus here, it will be the bulk of the remaining tracklaying knocked over.  There's a number of challenges that come with it - the worst being the restriction it will place on access to that turnout on the mainline; it's going to be "challenging" if I need to maintain it (tho' I'm thinking some form of board placed over the MPD throat will allow me to climb in there, if that is what is required...).  I've also not selected a turntable - MRD have a sale right now where the Peco one at £38.99 was as low as I've ever seen it ... which is very tempting.  The motorising kit for £53.13 is less appealing, and I do admit I wish the Metalsmith's Cowans & Sheldon 70ft ki actually came to fruition... I've only had my eye on it for 10 years now. *sigh*

But before I get carried away, I have to finish that corner...

Cheers

Scott

• Like 8

And a last thought...

How about today's Hornby announcement?  Wow.

Not a fan of Thompson at all.  But there's a strong argument if I am modelling the NE region, I probably should have one come visiting.

Much more mouth watering is the W1.  Especially in original condition in battleship grey.

That's certainly on my radar.

And yet the dearth of teak continues... meaning that second hand and used prices will remain inflated.  It is such a minefield buying online and trying to avoid the releases that look like Ikea pineboard...

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jukebox said:

There's actually two places where the local oiks have kicked in fencing panels - one at the end of each lane.  It was deliberate, as it breaks up the monotony of the slab faced fence.  You've now got me on a mission to see if I can see any such dilapidation in any reference material, to justify it.  Worse come to worse, I might add some fresh unpainted wood planks to board those holes up!

Cheers, 

Scott

How about the fence hole getting the kicked in planks hanging on the horizontal supports, all splayed out and recently kicked?  That way you would still get the see-through effect and added plank litter to look at/

Regards

Julian

• Like 2

Ah... s*d it.  If I don't do this now, I'll end up paying more in the middle of the year.

Peco turntable ordered from MRD, along with a Maroon RU to provide some catering on my rake of mixed Mk1's that are in transit.

I'll revisit the motorising options in due course.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

Hi Scott,

The Peco TT is a good piece of kit, although there are a few little matters which can make it 'orid.  None difficult and not many, but many have fallen by not taking then seriously enough and then been puzzled/angry after.  Definitely one of the measure once, twice, then repeat several times, before glue.  I can put some URLs up for motor ideas too, as there are some very good ideas out there, which have been looked at elsewhere.  There are also ideas for control discussed in the same posts, which might give food for thought.

Regards

Julian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Julian - I have been snooping around and see your work on the DCC Concepts page, as well as that of the Gold Coast club here in Oz.  No rush for now, but it's clear the Peco motorising kit is not good value for money, when the Locomotch one that indexes can be had for the same pennies (pounds!).  Let's revisit the topic in a few months.

0501g.jpg.089a97170007accf8ec5264bba4d00a5.jpg

In the meantime, not as an "I told you so", but rather, a "this is what I was thinking", here's an example of the sort of decay and dilapidation I am trying to suggest with my fence:

0701a.jpg.a0817f8561977e9636c7e6a228d1ab1a.jpg

I've now got 5 (!) Volumes of NE Steam Memories on Shed, and can recommend them to any NE/LNER modellers looking for inspiration or wanting to get a feel for the neglect of the region in the 1950-60's.

Curiously, I'm thinking my coaling stage will use West Hartlepool as a basis, simply because I've more views of it than the one at Stockton.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 3

Hmmmm.

Time does not stop for anyone.  And all of us have just a (relatively) small, finite amount of time to fulfill our dreams and leave our legacy.

I'm thinking these rather profound thoughts , inspired by the musings of one of my musical heroes, Bruce Springsteen, as I look at my calendar and I see it is almost halfway through January, and I'm *still* not done with the Terrace House corner...

However I am closer to being finished -  I've now added a pair of trees I felt where needed, finished the  details for the fence, and am working on the allotment veggies and weeds...  

But am I procrastinating because I do not see a clear way forward - too many choices at to "what's next"?  Possibly.  I'm frustrated that I am 1/26th of the way through the year, and don't have a plan.  If I have a plan, I can have a schedule, which will motivate me to get on with whatever is next...

I did a run up to Perth and grabbed some extra hobby supplies - foliage and scatter for those trees, some square plastic tube sections to make up the frames of a coaling stage, and some brass sections to solder the Braithwaite panels of the water tanks to...

But then I looked at the layout room, and realised that if I shift to the MPD next, I lose the best layout level storage space I have left.  I still have a station, and half a large hill to build.  That space is gold.  Great for having all my tools laid out, and having plaster buckets at hand, paint, flock, glue...  all the messy stuff I need to terraform.

I think my fear is that by building the other side of the cutting, I need to have finished the open farmland on the far side.  I haven't - it's too homogeneous, and needs some details to break it up, but I haven't got my head around what that means - weeds, patchy grass, animals....

But if I build the hill, I *can* make it Kirkby Luneside-Jeff battleship grade sturdy, with enough strength I can lean on and over it, to reach the far side if needs be.  And that then means I will have completed the plastering above the low level storage tracks, and can clean out that space.  And one long side of the layout will be finished.  So I can attached the fascias I have been making...

So unless I have a change of heart, that's the plan: Build the cutting.  And clean the rail heads across the whole of the layout in the mid-week gaps when I am waiting for glue or plaster to dry, or at night when I can't use the power tools.

Okay, so let's have a best-guess what that means:

• End of Feb:        Have the wooden framework for the hillside cut, screwed and glued in place on the layout.
  • End of March:   Complete the plastering and terraforming
  • End of May:       Complete ground cover - flocking, static grass
  • End of June:       Complete details - fencing,  trees,  hedges   
  • End of July:        Build and fit fascias to Eastern side

So that's a six month plan.  With some contingency.   I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect - which may be why I have put it off in the first place.  But I'm sure once I get going, and can see the finish line, my mojo will be stronger.

I'm hoping that with the rail heads clean, I can run some simple trains, which should also help motivate me.

Strap yourselves in, and let's see how the story pans out....

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Scott, managed to catch up with a bit this morning as golf was carry only, so gave it a miss. I can really sympathise with the ‘order of play’ and available space as I have the same set of problems. It’s all dead easy when you start as you have plenty of space, but as boards go into position the space gets smaller and smaller.

The other problem is that access to boards can be difficult once they are in place. No problem, if you can finish them first and then slide them into position but building a layout doesn’t work that way.

Good luck with your plan....:good_mini:

Welcome to messy world....:D

• Like 2