DCC Bus Setup Advice

wollastonblue

Right then the baseboard is set up and the track is ready to lay. But I need some major advice for setting up my DCC bus system.

I have been advised it is the way to go with DCC, and especially as I'm using Electrofrog Points.

I have been given advice to just apply Isolating Fishplates to every turnout and then wire the siding or loop to the DCC bus.

The issues I have apart from not knowing where to start, is how do I attach droppers to the bus. How do I wire the bus system?

The way I have thought of doing it, and therefore best to get some advice first before I start, is to get some 6mm Copper Adhesive foil and create a a rough replica of the trackplan of both rails underneath the board, and then solder the dropper wires directly to the foil, is that an easy option or will it cause headache?

Thank you very much for any advice or pointers.

• RMweb Gold

There is a current thread about means of joining the droppers to the bus, and the advice is varied, not to mention opinionated.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63185-how-do-you-connect-your-droppers-to-your-dcc-bus/page__fromsearch__1

The bus is simply two nice thick wires in contrasting colours - or maybe nice wide copper tape - running along under each baseboard. Ideally, every piece of rail needs its own dropper, and you drill through the baseboard and attach to either the left or right bus wire. Soldering, choc blocks, suitcase connectors - all feature in the thread mentioned as means of attachment.

One important tip - never, ever, solder under the baseboard while wearing shorts......

Mounting your bus wire on a vertical board under the layout, near the front edge, makes life so much more pleasant.

One thing to keep in mind. If creating a continuous circuit in a layout using live frog points, it is best to install a complete isolating break at one location in the circuit, across all tracks. The bus must not bridge this isolating break, in other words, bus topography should match the layout topography in this respect.

Dont run your bus under the baseboard, you wont like it one bit.

If you dont have a vertical surface at the front, then create one. You only need about 2 inches wide, keep the tape with at least 10mm apart. You will find copper tape takes solder easily. Drill down the side of each rail where you need a dropper, make sure you are not fouling a timber brace.

The bus does not have to be a continues circle. Fit insulated joiners to the frog rails. The wires you use for the droppers can of course be of your choise. But remember this. Once chosen these two colours must never be used for anything else. My method of remembering is. The rails farthest away are North. Those nearest are South. So my Black wire is always to the top Bus Tape. ( North) The Red is the bottom Tape. ( South) Good Luck. Report back to the forum, plenty of help available.

Archived