Diesels on the S&D

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere in my DVD collection is footage of a class 22 hauled demolition train on the S&D with the driver giving the V sign to the camera! I think that is my favourite S&D diesel image!

Edited by Welly

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

This thread was active in the early days after I joined RMweb and I have only just noticed it. The Warship, while not on the S&D was heading there to pick up the milk tankers from Bason Bridge. The other photos may not be strictly on the S&D as the alignment through Highbridge station to the M5 works was on new metals I think.

BT13Warship cl D868 Zephyr at Bridgwater 25 2 66.jpg

M5 spur 6606 & 6985 empty flyash hoppers from M5 spur 10 7 71.jpg

M5 spur 6907 & 6981 empty flyash hoppers from M5 spur 5 7 71 b.jpg

M5 spur 6907 & 6981 empty flyash hoppers from M5 spur 5 7 71.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, keefer said:

Apologies as I'm not a big wagon-head but are those PFA simply rebranded HAA or are there specific differences between the two types?

(I was aware of the gypsum PGA but not these)

I suspect they are just standard MGR wagons but a set (or two?) of them had been allocated to fly ash traffic to avoid load contamination. Of course 1971 was before TOPS was introduced so the 'PFA' stencil was simply a visual indication.

I remember seeing a couple of the fly ash trains at the time, one on the centre road at Weston-super-Mare when we were on a family house hunting visit in 1971,

cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I suspect they are just standard MGR wagons but a set (or two?) of them had been allocated to fly ash traffic to avoid load contamination. Of course 1971 was before TOPS was introduced so the 'PFA' stencil was simply a visual indication.

I remember seeing a couple of the fly ash trains at the time, one on the centre road at Weston-super-Mare when we were on a family house hunting visit in 1971,

cheers

It seems a bit odd to send them round the WSM loop only ten miles or so from Highbridge.

45 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

It seems a bit odd to send them round the WSM loop only ten miles or so from Highbridge.

We lived in Exeter until October 1971, but I understand from school friends who already lived in Weston that the trains often ran in around through Weston, which I assume was for pathing purposes. Was there anywhere other than Yatton loops to hold freight trains between Bristol and Highbridge back then?

cheers

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Rivercider said:

We lived in Exeter until October 1971, but I understand from school friends who already lived in Weston that the trains often ran in around through Weston, which I assume was for pathing purposes. Was there anywhere other than Yatton loops to hold freight trains between Bristol and Highbridge back then?

cheers

Once beyond Parson Street, I can't visualize anywhere else having any loops until Highbridge.

• Like 1