Crimson Thompson Suburban Coaches about to be released.

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I bought an all third which was £3 cheaper than an all first so somewhere down the line we will have lots of all 1st available and not much else.

It would seem that research into train formations is little lacking otherwise a lot more brake 3rd could have been manufactured - but hey hoe - I will have to build one or two..

I bought an all third which was £3 cheaper than an all first so somewhere down the line we will have lots of all 1st available and not much else.

It would seem that research into train formations is little lacking otherwise a lot more brake 3rd could have been manufactured - but hey hoe - I will have to build one or two..

a view proved by the lack of equivalent gresley suburban brakes around even on eblag

How do they justify the outlay on tooling when they produce so few, despite the obvious demand, unless..... they are overpriced to cover the costs of a small run......... so if the run was larger (and demand would seem to support it) would prices be lower and therefore sales be larger and we'd all be running more realistic formations and not fuming as we seem to be. Harrumph.

In the latest Model Rail mag (177 Jan 2013) these are reviewed and described as BR MAROON for the mid '50s to 1967 !

Who is correct - RMWeb or Ben Jones of Model Rail?......................................

They certainly look like early BR carmine red to me.

Untouched Thompson Compo. The Container is badly brush painted (by me) with Railmatch 311 Crimson. The three maroon strips under the coach are from left to right, 1. Halfords Damask Red, 2. Dupli-colour Damask Red and 3. Railmatch 306 Maroon over red and grey primers.

HTH

Porcy

post-508-0-69806800-1353982307.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sadly this seems to happen all too often. Hornby Maunsells are more freely available in non-brake configuration some years after launch. In fact the Southern Railway's best-known West of England service, the Atlantic Coast Express, was formed, especially in Winter, of multiple BCKs, one for every branchline along the way to the West. It is as if the detail researchers - who these days so often do a top job - are not invited to comment on which versions will sell in what volume. Must be quite galling for them, too.

Presumably, as it costs the same to tool up for ANY coach (1st, 3rd, 1/3, brake or whatever) they produce the same minimum amount of each to cover costs and go into profit. Now if the (say) 1st is not wanted as much, they stay on the shelves; by the same token everyone (almost) wants a brake, so they sell out rapidly. The 2nd batch to cover the perceived shortages won't be produced below a minimum quantity, so if they can't get enough trade orders to guarantee that quantity we don't get that 2nd batch. No use complaining that they should halve the quanity of 1sts and double the quantity of brakes, they are (quite rightly) in the game for profit to survive, so have to treat the different types of coach as INDIVIDUAL models, not part of a rake.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Presumably, as it costs the same to tool up for ANY coach (1st, 3rd, 1/3, brake or whatever) they produce the same minimum amount of each to cover costs and go into profit. Now if the (say) 1st is not wanted as much, they stay on the shelves; by the same token everyone (almost) wants a brake, so they sell out rapidly. The 2nd batch to cover the perceived shortages won't be produced below a minimum quantity, so if they can't get enough trade orders to guarantee that quantity we don't get that 2nd batch. No use complaining that they should halve the quanity of 1sts and double the quantity of brakes, they are (quite rightly) in the game for profit to survive, so have to treat the different types of coach as INDIVIDUAL models, not part of a rake.

Stewart

If they are not buying by individual type not by total coach type they won't stay viable for long - or is it having to work with our "friends in the east" --- so just make more brake 3rds.. and sell them all/// very quickly......

If they are not buying by individual type not by total coach type they won't stay viable for long - or is it having to work with our "friends in the east" --- so just make more brake 3rds.. and sell them all/// very quickly......

Simple economics I'm afraid. If it costs £1 to get to the stage where you can produce a 1st class coach or a brake etc, then you market it for more (say £1.50). But that 1st class coach has to be produced to an initial minimum run (say 500) before your company has paid off the development costs and gone into profit. If demand is out there for only 250, the remainder sit on the shop shelves (and the shopkeeper bears the cost). If there is demand for more then the maker will only produce them if the retail trade will buy - at the quantity for another minimum run (500 maybe, or whatever your 3rd party maker demands)).

This has nothing to do with producing a different version, like the brake - it is a different model but with similar costings, but in this case because of popular demand, it sells quicker on the first batch; same rules apply when the demand for another batch is requested though.

In the days of in-house manufacture, it was easier to find a slot in production as there was no 3rd party involved, but there were still cost issues of minimum runs due to setting up the production line.

Stewart

There are some buy it nows on ebay, I've just picked up a 3rd Composite for £30 which I don't think is a bad price at all. I only need the odd one in this livery as I'm modelling 1950 when many were still in imitation teak.

• RMweb Premium

I notice that there are no extended bogie mounted stepboards on both of the gangway ends of the Lav compo. There is one at the other

end though, but they are on both bogies of the brake 3rd. Is this correct??

Hi, I meant to answer this query earlier, but hadn't had time to check my facts.

I bought two Lav Composites (to help in recreating a GN 'Outer Suburban' set). One of them has small steps fitted on each of the four corners, and also on each of the 'inner' corners of the bogies - from photos of real ones, I believe this is the correct arrangement.

However on the other one, the 'corner' step below the first class corridor side corner was missing, but loose in the box - I will be able to glue it back. On this same vehicle though, the long bogie mounted step (between the axleboxes) is missing altogether from the other bogie on the same side, i.e. under the third class compartment side. So possibly there may be some QC issues with these steps, which are quite vulnerable to becoming detached.

I'll have to renumber one of the coaches, and will be painting the roofs and underframes, so while I'm at it I'll recreate this missing step from Plasticard.

The arrangement of these steps on the real thing looks a bit 'haphazard' at first sight, but as I think someone else pointed out, the LNE only fitted the bogie mounted steps where there was a door above; hence the bogies of these coaches don't need the long steps on the 'corridor' side but do need them on the 'compartment' side.

Hope this helps,

Steve

There are some buy it nows on ebay, I've just picked up a 3rd Composite for £30 which I don't think is a bad price at all.

I saw that. But they do not hang around for very long.

I presume it is the same seller who also had a third at the same price and I bought that one. :sungum:

Bernard

There was also a chap selling brake thirds Thursday evening for £34.99, managed to grab one which I hope will arrive early next week. He had 10 which sold out very quickly.

Also seen one go for over £70 which is crazy.

There is one Brake 3rd on eBay at the moment. It has a Buy it Now or Best Offer price of £75.00!! :O

To be honest, while I'm not totally happy they're delayed for so long, I kind of a little relieved as it gives my wallet a little breathing room with all the other East Coast releases to choose from at the moment.

Yes, that is a very good point.

There was also a chap selling brake thirds Thursday evening for £34.99, managed to grab one which I hope will arrive early next week. He had 10 which sold out very quickly.

Also seen one go for over £70 which is crazy.

Shop just cancelled Ebay order I am afraid, suspect never had them in stock or is going to put them on for more money. If later I will report

Shop just cancelled Ebay order I am afraid, suspect never had them in stock or is going to put them on for more money. If later I will report

Hi Flapland, I'm a little confused to what you mean?

Archived