Laser cut coach seating

• RMweb Gold

This is a brief summary of the thread at http://www.rmweb.co....-coach-seating/

Having completed the samples shown in the original thread, I'm now waiting for one of my projects to get to the stage where I need an interior.

I'm confident that the basic method works, and that it can be adapted to a variety of interiors. I think the main novelty of this approach is the lamination, rather than the lasercutting, as there's no reason why other cutting methods coud not be used. Lamination allows an impression of armrests etc. to be included, and corridor walls if appropriate. Tables might end up a bit too chunky, so probably best just to do legs, and add tops separately.

A further adaptation I've not yet tried is to shorten the shapes to the top of the headrest and notch the tops. This would allow a separate compartment wall to be slotted in, with the benefits of a top shaped to the roof curve and additional alignment of the laminations

At first glance this method might seem wasteful, but the layers can sometimes be nested to minimise wastage. These are for the thin layer including the armrests.

post-6902-0-11664800-1351433469_thumb.jpg.

I hope these ideas will be of use to someone.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I really like the look of these seating interiors.

Simple, flexible and effective.

The finished seating in pic RIMG0619 look particularly comfy!

Regards,

Kev.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you, I think that lasercutting laminations can produce some useful items. I'm afraid this hasn't developed any further since the original postings, as the target project is still in the queue. I think that opens would work just as well. Producing individual chairs should be possible too, depending on design. I'm thinking of an "L" shaped seat/back, with "h" shaped sides for legs/armrests/wings. Alignment holes can be cut to allow parts to be assembled easily. One of my silly ideas involved adding people slices to the seats, though that would probably need many thin laminations.

Let me know if you want a sample to look at, or if you have a suitable drawing (dxf easiest, but not essential) of a particular layout, I'll have a go at it.

Thanks

Dave

Archived