• RMweb Gold

Thank you!

I was just thinking about this thread a few days ago. Unfortunately I'll be heading over in the Spring next year, but strange things can happen, and maybe two trips might be possible.

6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Batemans brewery ....the location of the 2020 GNRS AGM.

Any Other Business (AOB) will consist of one question....whose round is it ?

And eventually, where am I?

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

So glad to see activity still happening on this layout! Until fairly recently I lived in Louth, which I'm sure is a name familiar to you given the region and era of this layout! I'm living in London these days, but this layout is an amazing insight into what could have been if I was born a decade (or 9) earlier! Also brings back fond memories of riding the sprinters between Skegness and Heckington to see the grandparents :D Top work, keep it up!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hey there.

I briefly surface on here from time to time to promise stuff, and then other things take over again. Havenhouse hasn't changed in the last year as I've been getting my business to the point where I can take a wage, and I've been working on the wasteland around the house were burnt tyres in heaps, broken glass all over, and the back seat of some car or other in bushes, to something resembling a garden. The garden near the house is done, and the rubbish has gone, and my wife has practically commanded me into the shed to make a proper start - which is never a bad thing.

I have been doing *some* modelling, mainly on the computer, and other people have been turning the pixels into 3D models.

GNR E2 - long slot and semi-circle options, printed by Mike and currently being sorted out by Dave (Chris P Bacon) on the Sandy thread

E2-pair.jpg.0ef7f1f78cb12ae0c52e09a978b588f6.jpg

GNR Railcar - started a long time ago, and again finished by Dave

1929084001_GNRrailcar.jpg.9f0156883bf425329abe295ed6062512.jpg

... and the NER railcar, finished by MickLNER on his thread - warning contains video of it running and looking (dare I say?) cute.

NER-2-2-3.jpg.a8344b5eb36f4f67af927666741c9577.jpg

I'll not promise anything, but I have a load of flexitrack, and hopefully there will be updates soon.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there, I've finally had a chance to do some things. I've been drawing a few things up over the last couple of weeks, and thought I'd make a coal wagon after seeing this photo on Ebay. I've made a guess with the colour. I'll be doing another one for the other coal merchant, which I do know from my uncle who passed away a couple of years ago, was yellow and black. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAINFLEET-RAILWAY-WAGON-S-E-WARTH-WAINFLEET-STATION-RP-c-1910-Nr-SKEGNESS/352799267116?hash=item522479992c:g:aEIAAOSwHbJdh-lo 

IMG_4187_edit.jpg.31304db18c66e4ea424c1d86bb35354c.jpg

The stencils and the base with the pegs to keep everything square.

IMG_4185-edit.jpg.14816cd5f85119aa86695da2f6a191b6.jpg

The letters are a little bit blurred, but an awful lot better than I could do with a paintbrush! At this point it's waiting for the last colour - blue to do the centre of the A, R, etc.

IMG_4202-edit.jpg.abbbd15cf81ad85dee68bb6f82b506a7.jpg

The model on the track. The body was from 1.5mm MDF, and everything underneath was 1mm MDF. Just needs buffers, couplings and weathering.

It's not amazing, but I was pretty pleased with it for a prototype - especially the register of the different colours. I'll do it again, this time I'll make a change to do both sides at the same time, add the strapping and score the planks inside, and better take into account the kerf on the laser cutter to ensure that the inside of the 0, etc in blue are not too big. 3' rule though and a bit of weathering and it'll look fine. :)

Edited by JCL
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I've been having a problem with the white text, I've tried 3 aerosols and using paint on a stippling brush with the stencils, but I think it will have to wait for the airbrush. It's been below freezing here, so unfortunately, as I have to spray outside at the moment, it'll have to wait. :-/ Also, I seem to be doing this after dark, and there's cougars in them thar hills at the moment (my neighbour had one use his lawn as a toilet the other day. The bear on the other hand hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks now, so hopefully (s)he's tucked up somewhere.

IMG_4233.jpg.fdd7093b0d7a53fbc01cc027fa694c2e.jpg

In the meantime, I've been working on two of the other older designs - the pedigree cattle wagon and the Southampton covered van. The first is about finished and the other needs a bit of re-jigging, but it's getting there. I've a whole load of vents I bought during my last spurt from Mike T's shop on Shapeways, so I'll be using them on the rooves. 

The pedigree van in the photo was undercoated in grey and then overpainted in Vallejo Red Black, it's close, but a bit purplish. I did another one which I broke with a red undercoat, and this was much closer to the Phoenix GN wagon paint chip I have. The roof is a light grey and waiting for some eyeshadow or something. I saw some weathering pastels in the local model shop and they were $20 for 4 colours! The Dollar Store is where I'll be heading to - and it means I can browse around for all sorts of other rubbish cheap treasures while I'm there. :)

IMG_4226.jpg.62c53ebc35cead5ef8fc7db009e007f0.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg.2ad983e7be489a764d50673303b66e4c.jpg

Quick question - roofs or rooves? I'm a rooves man, but apparently I'm archaic.

• Like 14

On 13/09/2019 at 02:43, JCL said:

Hey there.

I briefly surface on here from time to time to promise stuff, and then other things take over again. Havenhouse hasn't changed in the last year as I've been getting my business to the point where I can take a wage, and I've been working on the wasteland around the house were burnt tyres in heaps, broken glass all over, and the back seat of some car or other in bushes, to something resembling a garden. The garden near the house is done, and the rubbish has gone, and my wife has practically commanded me into the shed to make a proper start - which is never a bad thing.

I have been doing *some* modelling, mainly on the computer, and other people have been turning the pixels into 3D models.

GNR E2 - long slot and semi-circle options, printed by Mike and currently being sorted out by Dave (Chris P Bacon) on the Sandy thread

E2-pair.jpg.0ef7f1f78cb12ae0c52e09a978b588f6.jpg

GNR Railcar - started a long time ago, and again finished by Dave

1929084001_GNRrailcar.jpg.9f0156883bf425329abe295ed6062512.jpg

... and the NER railcar, finished by MickLNER on his thread - warning contains video of it running and looking (dare I say?) cute.

NER-2-2-3.jpg.a8344b5eb36f4f67af927666741c9577.jpg

I'll not promise anything, but I have a load of flexitrack, and hopefully there will be updates soon.

Only just seen this post, yes my lovely little cutie, better known as the ex NER Petrol Rail/Inspection Car  !!

fullsizeoutput_287d.jpeg.d411089bdfc6df8c4ba9cf77e3d3ca1c.jpegfullsizeoutput_287a.jpeg.8a6658d1a03418fcf09e6d50c5d0c241.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

English English, as opposed to American English would like you to be writing roofs, but saying rooves.

I was going to suggest you cutting a much thinner stencil for your lettering, but I see Mike has beaten me to it....

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Since I was here last, we unfortunately lost my wife's mum, so I've been briefly in the UK, and now I'm back here. In a few hours I'll be picking my wife up at the airport and heading off to the beach for Christmas and a bit of downtime.

I've not finished the things I was hoping to finish, but I've been able to do a few things. Keeping going with these mdf and card wagons, I've started putting together a brake and a covered wagon. I think I'll stop with these when I have them finished as I want to get started on the Havenhouse buildings.

IMG_4451.jpg.f1ccca9d588f341027e9e37535e1a8f6.jpg

I'll be able to finish these over Christmas,

IMG_4452.jpg.e487986acd482ac1625d359a5693f0c4.jpg

This one I appear to have made up! I wasn't concentrating, and created some sort of hybrid. The roof is 1/32 ply, which bends really well and is much sturdier than card - (even though a corner is up in the photo). I'm wondering if I can steam this wood and then clamp it to a former. If I can, then I'll be able to also use it on coach roofs.

And finally, using the laser to do something useful. My mother-in-law was a keen gardener, so I've cut this sign into slate to put up by the new flower bed that we will use for cut flowers.

IMG_4446.JPG.de5370ccafede5506991457774f7d85d.JPG

Merry Christmas everyone, and here's to a happy and healthy new year.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9