• RMweb Gold

I’ve been working on bogies the last couple of days, and, to be honest, my brain has not been engaged so I keep messing things up. My friends have been patient, but I still had brainf**ts, so I built a measuring tool on some scrap mdf to check how far apart the sole bars should be...

One side is fixed, the other side slides, and some calipers measure the exact distance they need to be from each other.

post-14192-0-34322200-1545298015.jpeg

The bogie is being printed now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

, but I still had brainf**ts,

I always thought that was Austin in the background....just figured you needed to change his diet... :whistle:

Surely you're attempting way too much accuracy...I thought we just strived to make sure the wheels didn't fall out.

• RMweb Gold

I know, I mean you’re right, but for some reason I’ve been going too and fro and they’ve either fallen out or the brakes are full on.

Done now though, and here’s the bogie. A straight replacement for the Gresley ones (less coupling) under the Hornby shortie. (The horror!) Bit of a problem with the centre - probably a support problem, but clips into the coach and runs well.

post-14192-0-81341500-1545301480_thumb.jpeg

I downloaded Graeme’s Hornby coach project a long time ago and thought I’d have a go over Christmas along with a couple of other things.

Good chance it’ll be raining as it has been almost non-stop for the last couple of weeks, so will have plenty of time!

Edited by JCL
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There’s was so much I was going to get done before I picked my wife up at the airport and head off to the west coast for Christmas, but it looks like it’s not going to happen.

We have a massive storm over us most of yesterday, and the results have been pretty bad. The worst thing is someone died just north of here when a tree landed on them. Locally, I drove past a lot of downed but isolated power lines. The road on the west side of the lake is closed, mainly because a large tree across the entire road isn’t something you can argue with! We’ve had no electricity for about 30 hours, but I’m hoping it might be back on tomorrow - right now I daren’t open the fridge!

On the upside, I decided to move the car from its normal parking spot yesterday afternoon only half an hour before a large branch broke from the big leaf maple that hovers above it. The tree is coming down in the springtime as it also branches out over the house and has been unstable for a couple of years.

Keeping with the positive, I’m sat here in my living room with the wood stove burning, my dog chasing rabbits next to me, and I’m typing by the light of half a dozen candles. Dinner was a marvellous wander out on the deck to fire up the BBQ, and moonlight is shining all around us, so I think I’m lucky.

The lack of distractions gave me a good chance to think about what I’m doing here. I seem to flit from one thing to the next without a proper plan. I’m more interested in the process than the result, but the result is that I’ve not much to show for it.

What do I really want? Right now, not a huge layout. With the plans I put out some time ago, I’m biting off more than I can chew, and it’s stopping me from making a proper start.. I think I want to concentrate on rolling stock, and not operations - I just want to watch trains go by. And by trains, to get some of the models I’ve been putting together finally finished. The E1/2 needs finishing, the G1 only needs painting and erm, lining. I’ve also got to get the C2 and Stirling Single busy with their - so far half made - coaches. I’ll even give my GCR Mons a go with the Barnums behind it. Even if a GCR loco didn’t really get to Skegness until after grouping.

So I’m going to ditch the idea of Wainfleet for the foreseeable future and concentrate on Havenhouse. Plans were drawn up a long time ago, so it’s a case of just putting 1/2 of them in practice. I I want to do a bit of shunting, tHere is a siding to be sure. There are double tracks, and the station is, oh lord, cute in an agricultural sort of way.

I’ll work it so that there is the opportunity to include Wainfleet in the future if I feel like it.

Thank you everyone for sticking with me on this thread, and merry Christmas from what currently feels like a very Dickensian home.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The good news is that the electricity came back on, and the only food that didn’t make it was a bag of prawns, which was a result!

I spent today finishing insulating the shed roof and starting the clean-up.

post-14192-0-59327200-1545557640_thumb.jpeg

And then this evening printed out the finished Fox 8’ bogie. It looks like a couple of supports need paring back in the photo

post-14192-0-48723300-1545557755_thumb.jpeg

The ride height I bang on now, and the wheels move freely. I also printed off a first go at an end. To say it was a challenge is an understatement!

post-14192-0-37201300-1545557850_thumb.jpeg

The good news is it was almost right - mainly too high centre top and could be a smidge wider, so a bit of fettling and a couple of windows and I’ll have a GNR style. It looks worse in the photo than it was in my hands.

post-14192-0-91714200-1545558211.jpeg

I’ll take my modelling stuff with me over Christmas and see how far I get with the coach, along with the E1&2 models. Eventually, I’ve four in all that I’ll have a go at but I need to keep on track (as it were) with the shed and get the vapour barrier up and track plan printed off.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A bit like Graeme’s with his ‘looks GNR’ conversion, Dave. At least for the one over Christmas. I know there’s a book of Gresley LNER coaches out there. I should ask Steve if the GNRS is looking at a publication of Gresley GNR coaches. Or do you think he’d poke me in the eye?

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me for being dim. Are these home-printed bogies and coach ends?

As Dave says. I’ve had it a few months after we landed a couple of jobs in the summer. I did the testing of the Barnum bogie sides on it. I mentioned your conversions. When you did them I copied and pasted them into a Word document along with the photos that photobucket no longer display on third party sites.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone. I wonder, are there any surfers among us (not internet of armchair)? I mentioned I was going to be on holiday, and I'm by the beach in Tofino, which is the Canadian version of the surfer's paradise. It's a great place to be, and very relaxing, but I honestly don't feel the need to get dressed up in a wetsuit and head out into an ocean that's probably colder than my fridge! If you're one of those people, then more power to your elbow, but good lord, it's not for me.

Instead of doing that, and because I wasn't able to bring a lot of modelling stuff with me, I've been finishing some computer based projects. One of these is a mockup of the Havenhouse track. I mean, you don't get much simpler than this. There's not a lot of complicated trackwork, but there will be a lot of scenery - open fields surrounded by dykes with farmhands working (and resting) under a blue sky. I'm hoping to use that plough I bought a long time ago along with a couple of traction engines to create one scene. I'm also hoping I can get a part of the river in there somehow - probably on the right if there’s enough room.

post-14192-0-67274000-1546068672_thumb.jpg

I put a photo of the shed up a few days ago. The boards for Havenhouse are done already, and the shelves underneath have been filled. These boards are ply on a 2x4 frame and are 3'x8'. They go along the entire back wall of the shed. To keep costs down for now, I'll be using 1' wide boards on brackets along the two sides, and 18" wide boards along the front wall - again on brackets. I'm hoping to actually get something running fairly quickly. For now, I'm going to use cassettes instead of a proper fiddle yard so I can keep everything easy. Then I can just pick up a cassette and put it on the shelf before bringing another one down. How low tech is that?

On the other project, this time a bit more high-tech, the E2 (206 series) body is almost complete. Just need to make a few adjustments, accommodate the wheels a bit better, and add work on the leading axle. Then I can hand it and the E1 (same thing with Ivatt updates) over to Dave to finish off with the chassis, buffers, etc. The blue 'wheels' and connecting rod movement area incorporate both the dimensions of 00 and P4 wheelsets. The thing about these locos is there are a number of variations, so it has to be a case of picking a particular loco and modelling that.

post-14192-0-22115800-1546067169_thumb.jpg

cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graeme. While RMWeb was down I was looking at other conversions people had done on the internet. There aren’t many, and yours is certainly the best.

• RMweb Gold

Well, although I’ve the time and inclination to get some modelling done, everything is 3 1/2 hours away. I mentioned some bucolic themes a couple of posts ago, and one was ploughing. I met up with my family a couple of years ago at Carrington Traction Engine Rally. While I was there I took a lot of photos, and some decidedly dodgy video. The video’s no good, so here’s the photos. It was fascinating watching the engines working in tandem and all of the nods, waves and such that went on while they were literally ploughing their own furrow.

post-14192-0-80363700-1546227425_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-78984900-1546227444_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-41263000-1546227458_thumb.jpg

This is interesting in it shows the amount of space left at the end of the row - and how ragged the row ends are.

post-14192-0-69068100-1546227476_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCL
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well, although I’ve the time and inclination to get some modelling done, everything is 3 1/2 hours away. I mentioned some bucolic themes a couple of posts ago, and one was ploughing. I met up with my family a couple of years ago at Carrington Traction Engine Rally. While I was there I took a lot of photos, and some decidedly dodgy video. The video’s no good, so here’s the photos. It was fascinating watching the engines working in tandem and all of the nods, waves and such that went on while they were literally ploughing their own furrow.

attachicon.gif_DSC5182.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC5190.jpg

attachicon.gif_DSC5195.jpg

This is interesting in it shows the amount of space left at the end of the row - and how ragged the row ends are.

attachicon.gif_DSC5196.jpg

Jason,

These are interesting as my garnd dsd would have done that on the farm where he worked.  As he was foreman I doubt that he would have been happy with the ragged ends though.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris - I think not too. Here you go, I uploaded the video for you. I'll go there again one day and do a much better job of it. :)

This'll be the landscape I'm modelling - I'll legitimately not have much to do with regards to hills as looking on the map there are zero contours. I've a load of photos though, so that'll keep me going.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 2

Jason,

These are interesting as my garnd dsd would have done that on the farm where he worked.  As he was foreman I doubt that he would have been happy with the ragged ends though.

They would have turned the engines and ploughed the headlands later.

Ploughing out the corners would have been done with a horse and one furrow hand plough.

Modern day equivelent:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick, that's filled in the blanks. If anyone's interested I'll see if I can break into my Flickr account and upload the photos from the rally.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Snooker table flat. :) . When we had a day out in Boston, we played the ‘first to see...’ game. The two landmarks were the stump and the hospital, and I might be wrong but I think we had a chance from Wrangle/Leverton.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I also placed the mockups on the boards and the waiting room from Wainfleet, which is exactly the same as the one at Havenhouse.

The vapour barrier will go up one evening this week now I’m back.

post-14192-0-69554400-1546837136_thumb.jpeg

post-14192-0-24351700-1546837199_thumb.jpeg

post-14192-0-60322800-1546837232_thumb.jpeg

After seeing a photo of an articulated pair with The Gresley style of roof, this evening, channelling Graeme, but with no pretentions of grandeur, I’ve also started chopping up two Hornby coaches to make up an articulated pair. So far I’ve cut off the rooves, the buffers on each inner end, and equipment under the solebars. I’m now on to drilling out above the doors, so I’m squinting a lot, but it’ll be worth it. I’m thinking about shortening them a bit so they are more similar to the photo I’m looking at.

post-14192-0-04811200-1546837281_thumb.jpeg

post-14192-0-42302400-1546837297_thumb.jpeg

post-14192-0-40110500-1546837313_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
  • Like 13