• RMweb Gold

The Scalescenes brick paper is password protected (for good reason) but I need a colour that is slightly less dark and more orange than the standard dark brown bricks, so I've been messing about with the colour adjustments in the printer settings dialogue box to see if I can get a colour that more closely matches the local brick around Wainfleet. It was a bit trial and error, but it only took a couple of sheets, and now I've something a lot more local. (I've just watched League of Gentlemen on Netflix as I missed it first time around - my word!)

Looking ahead, I think the arches are definitely going to be the most difficult bit of the whole build. I really want to avoid just sticking them on top of the brick paper. I've colour-matched and printed three copies of them just in case I don't get it right first time. What!

post-14192-0-58597100-1375293691_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCL

Back from my travels (10,000km) that included a visit to Wainfleet.  A very pleasant visit it was too along with a jar or two down at the local.  (My son and I closed the Brickhouse down the next night).  The layout is coming along well and I look forwards to seeing it next year on my annual pilgrimage.  The various buildings are as good or better than they show up here and Jason's construction techniques are most interesting.  I really will have to upgrade my old MAC so that I can get into some of this "cutter" (and 3D) printing.   

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mister, it was great to see a fellow modeller - there aren't many of us out here in the sticks :) With regards to the Brickhouse, all I can say is that Jägerbombs are not big or clever!

So a small step forward on the waiting room. I've kind of cut the windows out of the brickpaper that is firmly glued to the card, and used Chubber's method for sharp corners.Or at least had a go.

You can see that the window openings are frowning. Harking back to my concerns about the arches, I decided to make sure the verticals were cut, but there was as much card left as possible on the arches. This allows me to wrap the brick paper around the sides of the doors and know where I'm going to position the paper with the arches on. Then once the arches are cut out and glued to the backing, I'll be able to actually cut the arch out. If I'd fully thought ahead, the top layer would be the same. Then on the underside of each arch I'll have a go at gluing the arch brick bottom.

The paper is longer than it needs to be because I'll be wrapping it around the ends of the waiting room.

I hope that this makes sense.

post-14192-0-59309500-1375483783.jpg

The poor camera phone photo doesn't help :(

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So I'm sat in the coffee house near the railway tracks and a passenger train comes through. I don't know, you wait all summer for one and it shows up when you don't have a camera! We actually get two passenger trains through every year, but they rarely stop. I think they are the Royal Canadian Pacific as it looked like this: http://www.royalcanadianpacific.com/index2.html

If you fancy a ticket, it'll set you back $8,200!!

Edited by JCL
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Onwards and upwards. I've now managed to put in the windows, floor and three of the walls. The windows are my tried and trusted method, i.e. getting a printer to cut them out for me. The walls are a lamination of two sheets of matt card. I used the 3M spray mount glue. As was mentioned in a different thread, if you are laminating thin card with this the results can be bendy, but using two sheets of 1.3mm matt card the whole thing is pretty stiff. You just have to remember to spray outside as wou really don't want to inhale what is effectively atomised rubbery glue!

Windows and doors cut and ready to delaminate from the backer.

post-14192-0-06721100-1375847611.jpg

Windows and door in place (although I seem to have lost one gah!) The arches above the openings look like they are too proud, but there will be a stepping effect that will sort that out.

post-14192-0-96396000-1375847246.jpg

Loads still to do, but it's starting to look the part - and, it's looking reasonably flush to the ground!!

My one thought about the prototype is that only one end of the building has a window, and it doesn't face where the trains are coming from so that the passengers can see that a train is coming around the corner, it faces the train you just missed! Yellerbelly humour maybe :)

• Like 4

Looking good Jason. MIne just needs windows, doors and drainpipes now! %5Burl=

Lee

*edit* if anyone is following this  -my version of this building is the third link down in my signature

I must add, that it's not supposed to be a faithful replica like Jason's, more a using the shell and turning it into something different to suit my needs :)

*double edit* Why's everything gone html on me? !! ;)

Edited by freebs

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've finished the main walls, decorated the inside and put in some wooden benches. The first photo shows the waiting room from the back. The benches are a combination of scale lumber and lollypop sticks. The paper coming away on the left was glued to the back wall when the wall was added, and the middle wall keeps the whole back straight. It appears that a passenger needs the toilet!

post-14192-0-70802400-1376023122.jpg

The bottom photo shows the brickwork is done. Not fantastic, but I know I did my best with it. I think if I was to do it again I would cut the top horizontal bit separately from the arches to make sure it was dead straight - I might even use plasticard. That said, I'm pretty pleased with how I got on.

post-14192-0-53188200-1376023123.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll be adding in the blue/black brickwork at the bottom of the walls (I can't think of the word, I know it's not buttresses, well I don't think it is), then work starts on the roof :) There's a fireplace to go in there as I think I have evidence of a stove, but I can't tell from the photos what the flue looks like - it's not a brick chimney, I know that!

I don't think I've uploaded this photo before, it shows what I'm aiming for (at least before it was 'modernised')

post-14192-0-72000100-1376023798.jpg

And this one shows that I really have to study these photos. The blue bricks at the front of the waiting room are one brick thick, but the bricks at the back are two bricks thick, and are flush with the ends. One to remember tomorrow!

post-14192-0-50993700-1376023797.jpg

The last photo also shows some of the GNR railings that have lasted through the years!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ouch, just put it on the layout and the doors are far too tall! Here am I looking at brick courses and I'm messing up a major element.

This means that I'll have to cut the top of the door away and increase the size of the window above the door. This should reduce the door height by about 15-18".

Fingers crossed. :(

Edited by JCL

It appears that a passenger needs the toilet!

It appears to me that he needs some clothes! (or did the Wainfleet station waiting room secretly house a sauna...? A sleepy halt hiding a sinister underworld...? :keeporder:  Ah well, perhaps not!)

"That said, I'm pretty pleased with how I got on." I think you've every reason to be pleased (subsequent door problem notwithstanding). The effect of your printed papers (am I right?) and the effort to create the layered effect (relief) you are building in is most effective.

I have a rather large granary building (Lee & Grinling Maltsters) that needs creating if you're ever at a loose end :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks a lot, I suddenly got that sinking feeling. Re: sauna, a bit of pine lining around the walls, a lit fire and a bucket of water. Mind you, back in the '60s it'd be a bit 'foreign'! This was when my grandad, a farmer, thought Chinese food was suspect (right up intil he tried it, then he was known to eat leftovers for breakfast).

Granary building eh? Running a B&B I have a LOT of cornflake packets! :)

Oo, and a photo I dug out of a drawer clearly shows a T shape stovepipe chimney just back from the ridge, so I'll be able to finish the building :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good news, I was worried that the doorway was also too big, which would have been a disaster, but I've managed to fettle the door so that I have a larger door frame and window. Also, to remove the doors themselves from the model I cut the middle out of each, slowly tugged at what was left and the whole lot has come away pretty cleanly! All I need to do is cut new doors and slot them in from the bottom :)

post-14192-0-19928700-1376074939.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Right, doors back on and the bottom rows of bricks finished. I got the 45 degree angle using a matt cutter, but if you can get matt card off-cuts, some of them must be already cut at 45 degrees. I've also weathered the card with those felt-tip watercolour brushes to tone down the edges.

Next will be a roof, but I think that'll probably have to wait until after the weekend.

post-14192-0-26221700-1376102996.jpg

post-14192-0-13573200-1376102997.jpg

post-14192-0-01754200-1376102998.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Lee, I'm just thinking about he best way of doing guttering. I don't really want to do rolled aluminium foil again as it's a bit too fragile and easily crushed!

• RMweb Gold

Just the details to do now - guttering, stove-pipe and finials. The finials will be the same as those on the signal box, so another chance for me to get the Dremel out :). I didn't glue the new doors in, so they can slide in and out. I suppose technically if the layout goes back or forward in time I could change the colour of the doors simply by sliding in some new ones!

post-14192-0-34870600-1376752060.jpg

There will be cast iron rails on both sides of the waiting room to stop passengers from falling backwards onto the tracks! I'm not sure whether I'm going to have a go at 3D printing them (just to give it a go) or use the Dremel stand and drill rail holes in the posts using a jig - decisions, decisions.

post-14192-0-91564500-1376752063.jpg

This one shows the sense of space that I'm trying to keep with this layout. If you've followed this thread, you'll know that Wainfleet is in an area of the world that is absolutely flat, so you can see for miles. One of the by-products of this is that there is a sense of space that is emphasised by the huge skies that you get in the area (something I miss in the Rockies!). Once the scenery has been blended in it'll look a lot more cohesive.

post-14192-0-75209200-1376752062.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

For gutters and downspouts, I tend to take the simple (lazy) way and buy them.  My personal choice is Ratio 538.  British Imports in Oakville generally has them in stock.

I agree these are nice - but they are ridiculously expensive.

• RMweb Gold

The good news is that yesterday I found some old teracotta coloured guttering in the bottom of a cardboard box, so I'll use that for the guttering and the Iain Robinson method for the drainpipes, which I think I prefer. I've no idea how old the stuff is, but the box definitely came over on the boat from England.

• Like 3

A model of Wainfleet being constructed in the Canadian Rockies? Awesome. I have an Aunt and Uncle and bunch of cousins live in Wainfleet. Liking the progress of this layout a lot. Maybe my idea of building a fictitious Lincolnshire Branchline here in Minnesota isn't such a mad idea.