Shapeways FUD wall thickness

Hi folks,

just starting to dip my toe in the 3D printing waters and I was wondering what wall thickness people generally use with FUD please? I'm thinking in terms of 4mm scale loco side tanks, diesel sides, etc? I'm guessing 1 to 2mm perhaps?

TIA

Cheers

Rich

Hi folks,

just starting to dip my toe in the 3D printing waters and I was wondering what wall thickness people generally use with FUD please? I'm thinking in terms of 4mm scale loco side tanks, diesel sides, etc? I'm guessing 1 to 2mm perhaps?

TIA

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

I've just had a 4mm tank engine done in FUD. It was originally designed for i-materialise prime gray which has a 1mm minimum thickness. Although there have been some problems with my Shapeways FUD print (they are reprinting it now) it is quite sturdy at this thickness whilst retaining a degree of flexibility. FUD should in theory go down to 0.6mm thickness.

Good luck.

• RMweb Gold

FUD will go down to 0.3mm - fairly sure that I have had some parts with 0.3mm wall thickness as part of a box (and possibly more discrete parts as well). Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend going to minimum thickness unless you absolutely need to and certainly not for large pieces as you won't have the rigidity.

Design details for Shapeways's materials are here: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options

Cheers, Mike

FUD will go down to less than 0.3 but don't make everything to the minimum thickness: you want some strength and robustness where the detail and size isn't critical. Somewhere in the region of 1mm for main structural sections is sensible. I went for less, but 2mm is smaller so there is less wall to flex.

Why do loco side tanks need to be so thin?

Surely, for a model they help stiffen to hold the shape of the model,

and especially as they cover such large areas.

From experience, I would not rely on FUD for small detail to be flexible,

unless it is anchored to a main structure!

Why do loco side tanks need to be so thin?

Surely, for a model they help stiffen to hold the shape of the model,

and especially as they cover such large areas.

From experience, I would not rely on FUD for small detail to be flexible,

unless it is anchored to a main structure!

more space made of plastic is less space for lead!

They seem to be enforcing 0.4mm in most cases now. I had something I'd printed before rejected this time as it was 0.398mm wide at the narrowest spot !

If you go down to 0.4/0.5mm then it can be rather too flexible and also sometimes warps a bit. You can save a lot of dosh however by not thickening it all over but by printing a thicker supporting pattern on the back (as you would thin steel over a frame). Even on small N gauge coach bodies I try and print a small thicker bar at the bottom as I find it stops the sides bowing inwards.

Alan

They seem to be enforcing 0.4mm in most cases now. I had something I'd printed before rejected this time as it was 0.398mm wide at the narrowest spot !

That means one of my current projects is off limits, unless they allow small projections, such as ribs, roof overhangs and the like, to be less than that. :(

Archived