GWR 2 ton yard crane (4mm)

I need a GWR hand operated 2 ton yard crane for the goods yard at Camerton. I have a drawing and a couple of photos of the original type and am trying to find a suitable kit. The Ratio 531 crane looks close, but is actually about 50% bigger than the 2 ton type. It might be fine if I was working in 7mm, but...

Another possibility might be the Mike's Models MM26 "GWR Light Yard Crane". According to Holt Model Railways, it is not available but is going to be re-manufactured, though they don't say when. I've not seen one close up for a long time, so I wonder if someone could post or direct me to a photo. If you have one could tell me how big it is? What I need are the height from the base to the top of the wheel at the end of the jib, and the swing from the pivot post to the hook. These dimensions are 12' 10" and 12' 0" on the prototype.

If it's a suitable size, I'll have to wait until new ones are made or keep my eyes on ebay. If not, I'll have to scratchbuild -- bending channel section brass sideways could be fun...

All information, measurements, other suggestions welcome.

Nick

I need a GWR hand operated 2 ton yard crane for the goods yard at Camerton. I have a drawing and a couple of photos of the original type and am trying to find a suitable kit. The Ratio 531 crane looks close, but is actually about 50% bigger than the 2 ton type. It might be fine if I was working in 7mm, but...

Another possibility might be the Mike's Models MM26 "GWR Light Yard Crane". According to Holt Model Railways, it is not available but is going to be re-manufactured, though they don't say when. I've not seen one close up for a long time, so I wonder if someone could post or direct me to a photo. If you have one could tell me how big it is? What I need are the height from the base to the top of the wheel at the end of the jib, and the swing from the pivot post to the hook. These dimensions are 12' 10" and 12' 0" on the prototype.

If it's a suitable size, I'll have to wait until new ones are made or keep my eyes on ebay. If not, I'll have to scratchbuild -- bending channel section brass sideways could be fun...

All information, measurements, other suggestions welcome.

Nick

I've got one (from eBay, where they turn up from time to time) in my 'make it some day' box; if no-one else can give the info I'll post a picture later today with a ruler included to give an idea of the size.

I'm afraid the Mike's kit does not resemble the Camerton crane in any way, other than it has a jib and a hook.

The Ratio crane is a closer match, but as you point out is nearer S scale or 7mm than 4mm.

Someone did an etched brass kit for a similar crane, it was in an old MRJ, other than that I heard nothing more, nor have I seen one on a model.

The only route for an accurate crane is to build it yourself. Or you could think of commissioning/designing a kit - there is a large gap in the market.....

And I've now realised that what I have is the Medium crane, which I presume is different. Either way here's a rotten photo 'cos my camera battery is flat so I had to use the mobile - the ruler scale doesn't show very well, but if built it would actually be a scale 15' or so from base to pulley-pivot. Hope this helps someone anyway!

post-104-0-92026700-1351592116_thumb.jpg

Thanks John & Tim. Yes the MM 'medium' is a quite different type and, from what Tim says, my memory of the small one must be wrong. Unless anyone can come up with a suitable alternative, it's beginning to look like a scratchbuild...

Nick

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

I've just built one of the Mikes Models light yard crane for Much Murkle that I fortunately picked up on Ebay a couple of months back (for £8 incl postage :sungum: ). They do seem to be like hen's teeth to find though as I'd been looking for ages. Here's some photos, hope they help.

post-7649-0-97137000-1357769793.jpg

post-7649-0-50817600-1357769826.jpg

post-7649-0-54712300-1357769838.jpg

Thanks, Nick. That's a rather nice little crane. At least I know what it looks like now and, as Tim said, it's nothing like the one at Camerton.

I really should get on with mine as I've some suitable brass channel for the jib sitting on the bench awaiting bending...

Nick

Nick - your little crane is very similar to another Mike's Model that I have 'in waiting' - mine is supposed to be a Midland Crane.

8367454418_41d27a76b1_b.jpg

It has the same arrangment of gear boxes. I guess they would all have been 'bought' from the same crane manufacturer. I should get on with some building then I can let you see the completed pictures.

Ray

If you happen to be down that way (it's on my to-do list), have a search on Cotehele Quay Crane, it's a very similar one to Camerton down in Devon, though what it's doing there....

(Edited to include the Camerton connection)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

I've just built one of the Mikes Models light yard crane for Much Murkle that I fortunately picked up on Ebay a couple of months back (for £8 incl postage :sungum: ). They do seem to be like hen's teeth to find though as I'd been looking for ages. Here's some photos, hope they help.

attachicon.gifYard Crane 001 small.jpg

I had this crane on my first layout 30 odd years ago. I wonder if I still have it, or if it even survived! I'd completely forgotten about it until I saw the pic and remembered making one.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Mikkel and his search for goods shed crane colours I now have a definitive answer to my search for the 2 Ton crane. There is a surviving example at Toddington on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway as seen in these images:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clivestanley/5549934070/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8861756@N08/4352702244/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbuck007/3845306592/in/faves-24807053@N03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35414756@N07/5115605578/in/faves-24807053@N03/

This one is, as far as I can tell, identical to the one seen in photos of Camerton. Now there's no excuse, other than the mountain of other projects on my bench, for getting on and building one for Camerton.

Nick

ps. if anyone has any more photos, I'd be delighted to see them.

Hello Nick

Looking at the items that Mikkel has sorted I wonder if this picture from Knightwick is of interest?

I have made one of these Yard Cranes from a white metal Mike's Models kit.  However in close up I see some of the paint is dropping off - may be it knows is should be light grey?

I believe the same crane is available from Ratio - kit no. 531.

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the reminder about the Knightwick picture. Until Mikkel came up with the Toddington photos, that was the only other that I was aware of, and it does show a few more details than the Camerton photos. Interestingly, the jib appears to be a light colour with everything else dark. Thanks also for the photo of the Mike's Models kit. It does look to based on something very similar though the arrangement of the wheels is different.

Hi Alan,

Yes, the Ratio kit is a good representation of this type of crane, but see the OP. It is actually about 50% too big!

Nick

• 4 years later...

Archived