Class 47

SpuddyMcFuddy

Been motivated by this thread to have 47 running session in loft. Heljan 47s ran fine but Bachmann 47 kept derailing, only when running in 1 direction, ok when turned round and on pieces of track all other locos ran ok on. When I first got loco a while ago I had to loosen off the screws that secure both bogies because they had been overtightened and the bogies didn't have any sideways or fore and aft movement. Readjusted screws and loco then ran ok but problem now reoccurred. There was a thread on this on RM when the 47s came out. Think later Bachmann 47s didn't have this problem, on my early one the bogies "wobble" fore and aft about the central wheels which is causing derailments especially if bogie can't move enough. Still trying to fine tune the pivot screw, perhaps one bogie is worse than other. Dammit.

Back to Heljan, the bogies pivots are much more sophisticated, bogies track better and IMHO the mechanism is easier to work on for maintenance.

Keeps me out of mischief, though.....

Bill

Hi, there have been many threads on the Heljan 47, with the one at this link a more recent (from 2010) example. The biggest issue is the Heljan model is slightly over-width and this may be noticeable when running it alongside Bachmann examples. Vi-Trains 47s are also available cheaply at present, in a rainbow of colours, these are said by many to be one of the definitive 00 Class 47 models.

http://www.rmweb.co....es/page__st__50

But not my me.....! It did say 'opinions'.

• 6 months later...

my personal preference is Heljan. good lighting, good traction, good paint. personally a loco 3.2 scale inches too fat is not an issue to me, this was overcome by the bogie frames being made wider. it looks like a 47.

when the Bachmann model was released, a person went ahead stating it was fantastic and about time there was a 47 that was 100% perfect.

then the dissection came, with sulking, that there was issues with lights, bogies, windscreens etc. it wasn't as good as he said it was.

i am happy with my Heljan locos and have no intention of switching, the same as others will be happy living with whichever brand they chose to prefer

i just hope Heljan continue to produce more

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As we enter a new year the battle continues over which 4mm class 47 is the best. Lots of people knock the Heljan 47 for being to wide, but has anyone had a close look at the underframe on a Bachmann 47, especially the water tank version, it looks to wide and would go well under a Heljan 47 quiet nicely.

Admittedly the Bachmann is nice but I have a few Heljan 47s as well. The older lima ones with new mech's even get a run. Plus you have to mix fleets to obtain diffrerent colour schemes as well as Bachmann, Heljan and Vitrains aren't quick in doing all the colours. Places like the states and Australia as extremely lucky where mostly all versions and two numbers are done on models, they might be more expensive but getting a model that is excellent and in a colour you want worth it, not to mention the great glazing, wipers, brake blocks in line with the wheels etc. I'd certainly pay a bit more for better model and please a few more plain models ie blue, large logo or intercity with no huge name you have to remove if renumbering, harks back to the lima days.

Lastly, I don't want to sound lazy. Nothing like detailing or painting a model thats different to everyone elses. We have to keep up the skill especially to pass onto the young generation, get them off facebook and into something hands on.

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the comments about early HJ wheels picking up dirt, its worth repeating that from time to time Howes of Oxford (the Heljan agent) have replacement wheel sets for sale. These are to latest spec, and don't hold dirt as much as the originals.  From my own experience I've never had too much trouble with the early pattern - usually serves as a wake up call to clean my track, as that's where the dirt comes from!

As has also been said, there are some good offers on HJ 47's that seem to appear on a regular basis in various places - I have six of them in various guises and wouldn't change them even if they are a tad tubby.

John.

• 4 months later...

Received a great deal at one of the online retailers for a two tone green unnumbered HJ version, just shortly after replacing existing my HJ with Bachmann and ViTrains! I'm sure I read an article somewhere (maybe here) several years ago where someone attempted to narrow down the look of the HJ 47 by filing down the chassis (not as difficult as it sounds). May have been James Wells (Eastmoor Models) but for the life of me I can't remember. Anybody know what I'm talking about...?

For me, the Vi example sits a little too high but looks the most like a 47. HJ runs/ pulls the best but I reckon Bachmann takes it on an "all round" basis. I must have missed all the blue versions they haven't released... ;)

I'm sure I read an article somewhere (maybe here) several years ago where someone attempted to narrow down the look of the HJ 47 by filing down the chassis (not as difficult as it sounds). May have been James Wells (Eastmoor Models) but for the life of me I can't remember. Anybody know what I'm talking about...?

There was this one posted recently: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84563-Hornby-Heljan-class-47/.  I do remember someone doing one a few years ago, but I can't remember who.

Even if you file down the chassis I think the Heljan body would still be too wide.
Just a few weeks ago I was trying to mix and match some Heljan and Bachman bodies and chassis and the Heljan bodies sat loose on the Bachmann chassis.
On the other hand, the Heljan chassis won't enter the Bachmann bodies.

Archived