2mm Layout, based in South Wales

Trevor H

Hi all,

Being a modeller in larger scales this is a new venture into 2mm for me. Firstly i must congratulate all those people who work in this scale, looking through other people threads and the stuff on "The 2mm Association" website http://www.2mm.org.uk/index.shtml their is some absolutely cracking work and i take my hat off too you all, how do you see what your doing?

With all the recent stuff coming out in N gauge, I was quite taken by the Bach/Farish class 37 when released and opted to purchase one, which followed with a few other locos and the odd bit of rolling stock. This was followed a couple of months ago by joining the 2mm association along with purchasing a few wagon kits and some of their "Easitrac" components to build my own track, which is too a much finer scale and is something I have always done in others scales.

I've now started a seperate blog covering the same progress of the layout to run along side, which will basically be a tidied up version of this, for anyone who prefers to follow in a blog format. http://www.rmweb.co....wales-the-blog/

Were as this thread will continue to have all the progress, along with any comments and discussion from those who wish too interact along the way.

I decided that i needed to do something layout wise and with joining the 2mm association, i received with my members pack a flyer mentioning their GJ layout challenge, I thought this would be an excellent opourtunity to get something built, nothing like a deadline (Julymellow.gif ), then with the announcement of the RMweb 2010 , the chance was given too run the two alongside each other, thanks Andy. So with a few days holiday over the festive season a start has been made on the layout.

Anyhow onto the layout, the scenic section will be 4' x 18" deep with two small end to end fiddle yards, which consists of a two track branchline with a small good yard and two other sidings for something else possibly a coal yard or something similair, whilst it will be based somewhere in South Wales around 1969/70.

As soon as i get an exact location and name for the layout I'll post it on this topic.

post-6909-12618786296093_thumb.gif

The trackplan of the scenic section using Templot

post-6909-12618788296203_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12618795217888_thumb.jpg

And a couple of pictures of the the constructed scenic board with the printed Templot track template stuck down ready to lay the track, although the runroud has now been changed for an extra siding in the goods yard and the crossover is now trailing instead of facing.

Trevor.

Trevor,

A great idea and a very interesting era/location. I will be following this with great interest! Good luck icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Bryn,

Likewise I've followed your threads with a lot of interest, must be the blue diesels ;) some very interesting stuff you've posted, look forward to seeing more.

Trevor

another to the fray, goodluck with all those points have you cross posted the url to the 2mm site ?

2mm Challenge

DSC_1734.JPG

Hi Nick,

Was looking at cross posting a link to the 2mm site but unsure on how to do it, do I need to contact them with the link?

Followed your link to your your blog and found it a very interesting read, its nice to be able to read what others have done along with ideas too tackle different things. It's strange how going to a different scale, that you start learning new techniques

Keep up the good work

Trevor.

After yesterdays post I was able to have a very long day of working on the layout, with work starting on the trackwork.

I must say I come into 2mm at about the right time as the "Easitrac" components are really enjoyable to work with, along with all the different jigs for the making of points a lot easier.

All but for the check rails, I have managed to complete one point, although I'm not to sure about the robustness of the way I have soldered the nickel silver wire to the point blades too throw the points and may change it, not sure which way to go but I have a couple of ideas.

Some images of todays progress

post-6909-12619605538494_thumb.jpg

The almost completed turnout, the copperclad sleepers is something I did in EM gauge and basically my way of feeding current to the point, whilst also making everything solid, especially the crossing.

post-6909-12619609177366_thumb.jpg

Making use of the "Easitrac" lost wax sleeper bases, these help protect the rail at the board ends, I have stuck them down with two part epoxy and I may well also pin them. A slitting disc will be used to cut through the middle of the sleepers to stop any shorting and the slots in the sleepers then filled with "Milliput".

post-6909-1261961494101_thumb.jpg

And finally a shot of todays progress, very happy!

Trevor.

• RMweb Gold

After yesterdays post I was able to have a very long day of working on the layout, with work starting on the trackwork.

I must say I come into 2mm at about the right time as the "Easitrac" components are really enjoyable to work with, along with all the different jigs for the making of points a lot easier.

All but for the check rails, I have managed to complete one point, although I'm not to sure about the robustness of the way I have soldered the nickel silver wire to the point blades too throw the points and may change it, not sure which way to go but I have a couple of ideas.

Some images of todays progress

post-6909-12619605538494_thumb.jpg

The almost completed turnout, the copperclad sleepers is something I did in EM gauge and basically my way of feeding current to the point, whilst also making everything solid, especially the crossing.

post-6909-12619609177366_thumb.jpg

Making use of the "Easitrac" lost wax sleeper bases, these help protect the rail at the board ends, I have stuck them down with two part epoxy and I may well also pin them. A slitting disc will be used to cut through the middle of the sleepers to stop any shorting and the slots in the sleepers then filled with "Milliput".

post-6909-1261961494101_thumb.jpg

And finally a shot of todays progress, very happy!

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

You aiming for a new nickname?

Speedy would be very apt given your rate of progress so far!

Looks like it will be another intersting layout...

Hmm - Modelrail in 2011 - I wonder!

Thanks

Interesting- I've been looking into 2mm FS since seeing a very nice layout at Wigan (2008) - Its the ideal scale for scenery.

Do you know if there is a lot of re-wheeling involved?

Hi Russ,

I decided to give 2mm a go just as a venture away from my usual EM and other scales I've been into over the past few years. This last year Interests have wavered and I have done very little modelling, this 2mm stuff has really spurred me on.

I would strongly recomend joining the 2mm Association if interested http://www.2mm.org.uk/index.shtml if only it a years membership, they do an excellent range of products from their society shop including track and wagon kits.

They also do a good range of finescale wheels on axles which will drop straight into N gauge RTR, along with a wheel turning service to members for locos at a very good price, also they about to start drop in wheel sets http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/drop-in-wheels.html starting with diesels.

Another useful link

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/getting_started/index.html

Hope this helps

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

You aiming for a new nickname?

Speedy would be very apt given your rate of progress so far!

Looks like it will be another intersting layout...

Hmm - Modelrail in 2011 - I wonder!

Thanks

Hi SM,

Hope you're keeping well, I'm sure you're keeping busy as ever.

I remember you starting that N gauge project, I thought why it's far too small, 4mm would be so much better :D and although this may be my only venture into this scale, I must admit I'm really enjoying it and it's got me modelling again :)

But at sometime when space becomes available I do have a West Highland layout to finish ;)

Modelrail, would love the opportunity to return, really enjoyed the last time with Kier.

Cheers

Trevor.

Trevor,

It's come along very well, you've achieved in 2 weeks something that has taken me 2 years blink.gif Impressive stuff! It might be an idea to check out the thread, about lost wax castings of the Easitrac turnout chairs, on the 2mm Association yahoo group. These will look the business on your frog electrical feeds.

Out of interest, what couplings will you be using and will you be going DCC or DC?

Hello Trevor :)

I just wanted to add some more praise to this thread. That looks really good so far and like Bryn, I am impressed with the speed of progress. Its got the beginnings of a very nice little layout.

Missy :)

Trevor,

It's come along very well, you've achieved in 2 weeks something that has taken me 2 years blink.gif Impressive stuff! It might be an idea to check out the thread, about lost wax castings of the Easitrac turnout chairs, on the 2mm Association yahoo group. These will look the business on your frog electrical feeds.

Out of interest, what couplings will you be using and will you be going DCC or DC?

Hi Bryn,

Yes I've seen the thread on the turnout chairs and i think they'll be very popular and a well worthy addition to their range, weather there be available in time for me i don't know, I'd seen on your thread you had cut them out of the sleepers, I doubt Id have the patience to do that.

The layout will be DCC and for couplings I've bought a pack of DG couplings to have a go at, these are a bit new to me as I have always used 3 links in other scales. It will be a case of try and see with automated couplings, I drilled a few holes in the board to accept the magnets, hopefully their be in the right places.

Do you have any recomendations for couplings, I'm looking for something a bit discreet.

Cheers

Trevor.

Hello Trevor smile.gif

I just wanted to add some more praise to this thread. That looks really good so far and like Bryn, I am impressed with the speed of progress. Its got the beginnings of a very nice little layout.

Missy smile.gif

Hello Missy,

Thankyou for the added praise, I must say Highclere was one of the layouts that gave me the Inspiration to have a go at 2mm instead of just going N gauge, so thanks for that, the work you have put into it is superb as is that Q1

Trevorsmile.gif

Trevor pass the blog url to the 2mm webmaster and he will add it looking at the speed of progress makes me think I should have used Easitrac great work

Thanks Nick,

I will probably do a seperate blog to run alongside this one, which will show progress of the layout, It should make it easier for people to scroll through, whilst this thread can be one that people can hopefully interact with.

The Easitrac is nice to work with, I've been down your route and worked with individual components in EM gauge and although very self satisfying when completed, it can be labourious and is very time consuming.

Cheers

Trevor

No photos today I'm affraid.

I have now done a seperate blog showing progress for people who prefer to follow this thread in a blog format. Which will cover the same stuff but in a more tidied up version, but hopefully most will continue to interact on this thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/436-2mm-layout-based-in-south-wales-the-blog/

Today was spent making the blades and the crossings for the rest of the points, I have managed to lay the rest of the track on the mainline itself and parts of the crossover.

Hope to post some more images tomorrow.

Trevor.

I had a look over at the blog and saw your plans for your layout I wondered whether you were going to use easitrack or start with soldered construction from the off. I came to this thread and wow you seem to be almost done! Having seen photos of Stephen Harris' layout Ynysnarwed Sidings I am very tempted to do something modelling Br Blue in that part of the world.

Wyvern

That track looks superb! Easitac must be making a huge inpact for 2mm FS which if it is, is great! I enjoyed messing about with two mil' and would love to do something in it again but time is needed with other things! But the recent Farish diesels would make one project I have had in mind for years very easy now!

The layout will be DCC and for couplings I've bought a pack of DG couplings to have a go at, these are a bit new to me as I have always used 3 links in other scales. It will be a case of try and see with automated couplings, I drilled a few holes in the board to accept the magnets, hopefully their be in the right places.

Do you have any recommendations for couplings, I'm looking for something a bit discreet.

The two main couplings are DGs are AJs, for 2FS.

I have gone the DG route, as I have used them in N gauge previously and was very happy with them. Stephen Harris also uses them, so you can be sure that they will fit onto his kits. Also, most 2mm Association kits come with mounting points also. I would suggest you fit these with the bottom of the buffering plate 4.5mm above the rail head.

AJs look much finer, but a much more work. I ahve never used them so can't go into detail.

I had a look over at the blog and saw your plans for your layout I wondered whether you were going to use easitrack or start with soldered construction from the off. I came to this thread and wow you seem to be almost done! Having seen photos of Stephen Harris' layout Ynysnarwed Sidings I am very tempted to do something modelling Br Blue in that part of the world.

Wyvern

Hi Wyvern,

I posted something on the blog against your comment, but I see you've found your way here, Welcomesmile.gif

Trevor.

That track looks superb! Easitac must be making a huge inpact for 2mm FS which if it is, is great! I enjoyed messing about with two mil' and would love to do something in it again but time is needed with other things! But the recent Farish diesels would make one project I have had in mind for years very easy now!

Hi James,

Seeing your excellent 4mm stuff, i hate too think what you could do in 2mmsmile.gif , the latest Farish stuff has certainly moved on in the last few years.

It would be interesting to know how much impact Easitrac has had on converting people to 2mm, I for one would probably just of had my Farish cl37 & Warship sat on the shelf if it hadn't come along.

Also the 2mm Association shop has everything to make it so much easier, they will also have drop in wheelsets for diesels from Januarycool.gif

Trevor.

Archived