Longmoor Military Railway.

Hi all, just a little bit more info on availability of suitable wagons for LMR. Cambrian Models cover the 15 and 25 ton SR brake vans. As far as I'm aware you would need to add to brake cylinders to end. I may be wrong, but in my defence I'm just starting research into this subject. Cambrian also do an LSWR 10ton van kit to dia SR D1410. There are also several other vans/open wagons suitable in their range.

Genesis Kits cover several subjects, from warflats, warwells and a ramp wagon, all made in pewter. http://www.genesiskits.co.uk/shop/mod-wagon-kits/wk205-moda-wwi-rectank/

As for transfers, I am having some made up to cover the LMR ,BMR and MMR, along with alpha numeric items in yellow, pale yellow and white. If they look ok I will have them priced up and have a few sets printed off.

The Army had a number of Highfits built for use on the mainline and were registered as Private Owners, these ended up as internal users at various locations over the years with some ending their days in the RoF Bishopton, follow this link to Paul Bartlett's photo of one which I believe was in original livery! Most of the ones there had trees growing through and around them making photography impossible!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofbishopton/h65797369#h6606eb8d

Mark Saunders

The SR style brake vans were built by the SR in response to an order from the WD. Two batches each of 20 vans were built based on the 25 ton design with 2+2 planking with right-hand duckets. The most obvious differences from the SR vans were two vacuum cylinders mounted on the end platform with associated pipework and the absence of a guard's stove or chimney.

As far as I know, there were never any Highfits at Longmoor. All ex-mainline stock was from a much earlier era. The only open wagon that I have identified as suitable is the ex-LBSC wagon available from Cambrian (C33) or Smallbrook Studios. Warflats and Warwells are due from Bachmann and Hattons.

The best source of information on Longmoor stock is The Longmoor Military Railway - a new history, volume 3 by Mike Christensen and David Ronald.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Geddi, I am very pleased to read that you are having transfers made up.   Unfortunately those from Cambridge Custom Transfers and Modelmasters have never catered for the four wheel stock.   So lease let me know if I can purchase the sets you are producing.   Wessex Wagons no longer have any Longmoor or Marchwood MR stock available but have asked for interest in re-releasing but with different numbers.   I have requested four with ARMY prefixed numbers that existed to compliment the Bachmann release of ARMY 47555 van later this year.   I do have a preference for AD/ARMY/MODA and WGB/F/M prefixed numbers!   Look forward to reading more about these.    

Hi all, just a little bit more info on availability of suitable wagons for LMR. Cambrian Models cover the 15 and 25 ton SR brake vans. As far as I'm aware you would need to add to brake cylinders to end. I may be wrong, but in my defence I'm just starting research into this subject. Cambrian also do an LSWR 10ton van kit to dia SR D1410. There are also several other vans/open wagons suitable in their range.

Genesis Kits cover several subjects, from warflats, warwells and a ramp wagon, all made in pewter. http://www.genesiskits.co.uk/shop/mod-wagon-kits/wk205-moda-wwi-rectank/

As for transfers, I am having some made up to cover the LMR ,BMR and MMR, along with alpha numeric items in yellow, pale yellow and white. If they look ok I will have them priced up and have a few sets printed off.

• 2 months later...

The brake van in the photo is the WD design that was built by SR and, among other differences, has the brake cylinders on the end platform.

Only the Warflat is (will be) suitable unmodified for Longmoor before closure.

An ex-BR 25 ton brake van is due from Invicta Models. There is also the BR 1/208 van from Bachmann, ten of which were purchased new in 1959. This just needs a repaint and re-lettering.

However, at present nobody makes suitable lettering for Longmoor wagons.

Kits include ex-LSWR diagram 1410 vans and diagram 1541 brake vans, ex-MR diagram D664 vans and the warwells and ramp wagon from Wild Boar Fell.

You can also modify the Bachmann SR 12 ton van into a Mobile Workshop Train van as seen here without lettering.

attachicon.gifMWT stores van.jpg

Tony

AD 47777 was an ex SR 12t van with even planks. Ratio do a kit of both the even and uneven planked vans.

Geddi,

Sorry to disagree but AD 47777 was originally 12t paired plank van SR 49741 built 1939/40 to diagram 1458 under order A1034. It was sold to the army in 1943 and became Mobile Workshop Train stores van MW105(S), registered as SR 1170/43. References are NRM Southern Railway Register of PO Wagons, CW/DY/17,and An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Volume Four, page 61.

AFAIK, all Mobile Workshop Train 12t vans were uneven planked.

AD 47777 appears to have been rebuilt at Longmoor as a tool van prior to April 1967 when it was given an even planked body, the side doors on each side being replaced by planks and a window. It retained the door at one end.

In this condition it was transferred to Marchwood prior to November 1979 where it was photographed. It was subsequently preserved on the Mid-Hants line where it was photographed at Four Marks without side doors in 1994. The side doors were added later during restoration.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi, my first post on one of these sites.

I have a N gauge model of Longmoor, I have modelled it to represent the period 1950-1969. It allows me to run stock from different times,

I have exhibited the layout over the last 8-10 years around the south of England,This year it will be at Warley.

The layout is 10ft x 6ft in an L shape.post-17725-0-57036800-1503702985_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm at Warley this year and will try and get to see your model.   I spent two weekends working there in August 68 helping to take the dome off Clan Line in a nissen hut.  Looking at the photo I presume that the main camp HQ is off to the right, in which case Clan Line would be in the hut just below the rail overbridge.

Jamie

• Like 1

I have just seen the latest Railway Modeller with the Hollybush LMR layout. It looks really good but, although it says it was made for an exhibition, it doesn't say where.

Does anyone know what area it is in or when it might be out again?

Tony

Just spotted the Bridlington badge. Doh!

Edited by TonyA
  • Like 1

I'm at Warley this year and will try and get to see your model.   I spent two weekends working there in August 68 helping to take the dome off Clan Line in a nissen hut.  Looking at the photo I presume that the main camp HQ is off to the right, in which case Clan Line would be in the hut just below the rail overbridge.

Jamie

Hi Jamie.  I usually put Blackmore Vale in that shed as she is a bit worse for wear, Clan Line is pristine so is in the main shed.

Many of the buildings are in a different place to the prototype, they give a feeling of the place not a 100% copy, I change track layout and other

bits just like the real place if Ifeel it isn't right. Looking forward to meeting you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie.  I usually put Blackmore Vale in that shed as she is a bit worse for wear, Clan Line is pristine so is in the main shed.

Many of the buildings are in a different place to the prototype, they give a feeling of the place not a 100% copy, I change track layout and other

bits just like the real place if Ifeel it isn't right. Looking forward to meeting you.

I certainly won't quibble Ray.   It isn't easy modelling a real location and producing a layout that is suitable for taking to and from exhibitions.   I know that Blackmore vale was in another shed quite close to Clan Line, form hazy memory the other side of a bridge but it was a long time ago.  I look forward to seeing the layout at Warley if I can get chance to get away from Green Ayre.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

LMR Paint Colours?

==================

Are there any RAL colour codes or paint rattle can equivalents from Halfrauds for the loco blue & red colours?

There's little in the LMR bible vols 2&3; nor the Ronald & Carter book; nor Branchlines to Longmoor. Only mention I could find was Oxford Blue, which isn't much help! When I compare old images to the Bachmann WD8 OO model, nothing matches. And WD10 vs S160 have differing blues, together in the same shot.

Paul,

There are a number of reasons for the various shades of blue. Firstly, the "official" shade changed over the years. In the early 1950s the colour was Prussian Blue but this had changed to Oxford Blue in the early 1960s. Oxford Blue was chosen as it was a BS colour. However, according to photographs the S160 was more of a Powder Blue.

Secondly, blue paint was found to weather badly. As a result of this, an experiment was carried out around 1963 when panels were painted with various makes of Oxford Blue and the left on the roof of the Paint Shop for several months. Dulux was found to survive best and this was used subsequently.

In addition, you have to factor in the effect of scale colour which may make any shade appear darker on a model.

A similar problem arises with lettering where there were no clearly defined standards apart from size. Sign writing was not an Army skill so results depended on who was given the job. Towards the end, there was a limited pool to choose from.

Tony

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

When at an exhibition this last weekend I purchased a copy of 'Branch lines to Longmoor' by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith (Middleton Press). When I got home I realised that I already had a copy. If anyone wants it please PM me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a wonderful weekend at Warley. My layout was went down well with those I spoke to,

a lot of people had been to Longmoor either in the services or on open days with many

anecdotes of their time there.

I have recently bought two of the latest OO L.M.R.wagons from Wessex Wagons for my OO

fleet and a warwell from Oxford.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just had a wonderful weekend at Warley. My layout was went down well with those I spoke to,

a lot of people had been to Longmoor either in the services or on open days with many

anecdotes of their time there.

I have recently bought two of the latest OO L.M.R.wagons from Wessex Wagons for my OO

fleet and a warwell from Oxford.

Sorry that I didn't get chance to pop round and have a look. It was on my list but I was otherwise engaged.  Glad that it went well for you.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Geddi

I'm modelling Marchwood Military Railway and would be very interested in any transfers for the MMR. Did you have them made up and more importantly do you have any available?

Many Thanks,

Bootsy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just purchased the latest Bachmann WD 2-8-0 MAJOR GENERAL MC MULLEN  to go with my Sir Guy Williams (also Bachmann). They're totally different colours.  I'm now researching coaching stock, I know they used ex SECR birdcage stock and what look like mk1 compartment stock, but I'm unsure what else might have been used

Pete