Longmoor Military Railway.

My aunt and uncle had a farm close to the line near Liss around then. It may even have been next to the line, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if I saw any trains running, as it was before I got interested in railways, but did have a scary walk along the track with my Mum and aunt, that involved crossing a bridge that had gaps between the decking!

• RMweb Premium

Can't see that at the moment as Flickr is blocked at work, but I remember seeing Gazelle. I was lucky enought to go to a CCF camp at Longmoor in 1963. I hated the Corps so only went to camp because it was there. We used the LMR train to and from Liss and had a day on the railway including workshop tour and driving experience on a diesel shunter (unfortunately I can't remember which). Looking for info on the shunters I just found this, from the same period: http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/9/longmoor.htm#top

Pete

• Like 2

Marvellous photos. That was five months before I did a CCF course there. However, all my photos are black and white.

Models of some of those wagons are awaiting painting after kindly being built by bbishop of this forum. After an abortive attempt in the past, target is now to complete a Longmoor layout in time for the 50th anniversary of my course.

Many thanks,

Tony

Jimmy,

There were no gunpowder vans at Longmoor, only regular vans.

I started with the RCTS stock list from their visit in April 1966 and then tried to identify the original diagrams from the photos. This was helped by the number now preserved and documented on the relevant websites and stock books. Many of these wagons are available as kits or RTR.

Examples include WD47777, built SR/1940 to diag. 1458, and WD47773, built LSWR to diag. 1410.

The hardest bit will be obtaining the correct transfers for the numbers.

Tony

There is some quite good footage of the LMR on one of the Steam on 35mm videos, although which of the 2 it is escapes me at the moment.

At one time all the training aids from the LMR as well as a decent display on railway operating was in the long gone Museum of Army Transport at Beverley, which is a shame because it was one of the best railway operating displays I have ever seen.

Lightmoor Press have announced a new 2-volume book on Longmoor. It is by D.W. Ronald and M. Christensen and the first volume, which covers the period to 1939, should be available soon. I believe rolling stock will be covered in the second volume.

An interesting set.

I wonder just how far and wide LMR locos ventured on BR. I seem to recall seeing a photo some years back of an LMR WD 2-8-0 on a BR MPD, perhaps Ferryhill, a comment at the time being that it was hoped some Army 'bull' would rub off on the BR cleaners - the LMR loco was, as might be expected, in immaculate external condition.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I knew the LMR quiet well and from the various books I have, created a full detailed scenery for users of Train Simulator 2013. You can see some of this work on Youtube

by searching for Longmoor Military Railway or LMR here is the latest video

Cheers

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Hi, I knew the LMR quiet well and from the various books I have, created a full detailed scenery for users of Train Simulator 2013. You can see some of this work on Youtube

by searching for Longmoor Military Railway or LMR here is the latest video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ddpOakQ1I8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZEvqNfgtE

Cheers

I was wondering if you would have a track layout for longmoor downs?

There is a full track plan of the Longmoor system on p75 (Map 55) of the new 'Atlas of the Southern Railway' by Harman & Nichols.

In the meantime, here is a shot of Longmoor from 2012 ...

post-7154-0-88485200-1471645816.jpg

• Like 3

I was wondering if you would have a track layout for longmoor downs?

Track plans of Longmoor Downs can be found in the following books.

The Longmoor Military Railway vol. 1 by Ronald and Christensen

The Longmoor Military Railway by Ronald and Carter

Branch Lines to Longmoor by Mitchell and Smith

It can also be found at http://www.old-maps.co.uk by searching for Longmoor Camp and viewing the 1:10,560 scale map from 1961-1962.

Incidentally, the track and stock shown in the photo above was never part of the original LMR. It was built after the closure of the line as part of the Fighting In Built Up Areas (FIBUA) training ground that was built on the site of the old married quarters in the 1980s.

The stock shown did not run on the LMR either.

Tony

There is a full track plan of the Longmoor system on p75 (Map 55) of the new 'Atlas of the Southern Railway' by Harman & Nichols.

In the meantime, here is a shot of Longmoor from 2012 ...

attachicon.gifLongmoor2012.jpg

For those modelling in 4mm all of these are available/will be!

The Palvan from Parkside, SR designed Brake Van from either Cambrian or Bachmann and the warflat due from Bachmann!

Mark Saunders

As Tony said, these are not original LMR, in fact I was told by the person who took the pic that the embankment ends just out of shot on either side.

Would make an interesting diorama though, especially if you can get the right figures for a FIBUA attack.

• Like 1

For those modelling in 4mm all of these are available/will be!

The Palvan from Parkside, SR designed Brake Van from either Cambrian or Bachmann and the warflat due from Bachmann!

Mark Saunders

The brake van in the photo is the WD design that was built by SR and, among other differences, has the brake cylinders on the end platform.

Only the Warflat is (will be) suitable unmodified for Longmoor before closure.

An ex-BR 25 ton brake van is due from Invicta Models. There is also the BR 1/208 van from Bachmann, ten of which were purchased new in 1959. This just needs a repaint and re-lettering.

However, at present nobody makes suitable lettering for Longmoor wagons.

Kits include ex-LSWR diagram 1410 vans and diagram 1541 brake vans, ex-MR diagram D664 vans and the warwells and ramp wagon from Wild Boar Fell.

You can also modify the Bachmann SR 12 ton van into a Mobile Workshop Train van as seen here without lettering.

post-11270-0-80501100-1471699383_thumb.jpg

Tony

• Like 1