NS 4300 Class Klein Jeep [WD 2-8-0]

Yarnham

Hi all, does anyone know where I can find pictures of WD 2-8-0s in service with NS? I've tried searching the net and unfortunately not turning up much!

Will also post progress of my N scale model here. However the only pics I can find are of a Bachmann ltd edition

Digging out my records I found but one photo.

Sorry cannot post it due to copyright.

Cannot identify the number but it is from 1946 at Utrecht.

Train is composed of WD Set 5 which comprises ex SECR stock, 15 carriages in total.

This as you might have guessed is a troop train.

Loco carries the extension to the chimney fitted to locos on hire to NS. Sorry I don't have dates as to when these were first fitted.

WDs could haul 700 ton gross passenger trains at speeds of up to 55 mph.

They did exhibit a fore and aft motion according to notes of people who travelled on them due to the reciprocating parts not being balanced.

Very few had steam heating so in winter tended to be coupled with a small loco that was only there to provide heat rather than power when used on troop trains.

My interest is in WD and BAOR rather than NS but where things overlap I do have a small amount of information.

Bernard

I have three books with photos of the 2-8-0s in the Netherlands.

Heavy Goods Engines of the War Department, Vol. 3 has five photos taken in the Netherlands although only one is definitely in NS ownership. The others are undated or early dates and may still be WD locos.

There is also one photo in Onze Nederlandse Locomotieven in woord en beeld, published in 1946 and one in The Last Steam Locomotives of Western Europe. My copy of the last book is the German edition but I assume it contains the same photos as the English one.

There is a copy of Heavy Goods Engines, Vol. 3 currently on eBay and a couple of copies listed on the UKBookWorld.com website.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

That's one hell of an answer and an interesting one! Thought I'd ask though as the odd model appears now and again in OO so was hoping there may have been one or two reference pictures about!

Not having been invaded during WW2, we Brits tend not to realise how much the populations of France, Belgium, Holland and other countries suffered - particularly with respect to food shortages. Many of those who lived through that time remain very bitter towards the Germans to this day.

Not having been invaded during WW2, we Brits tend not to realise how much the populations of France, Belgium, Holland and other countries suffered - particularly with respect to food shortages. Many of those who lived through that time remain very bitter towards the Germans to this day.

Totally OT.

I was working in a small dutch town. Most of the dutch people on site spoke excellent english but some also spoke german.

I would converse mainly in english or could get by in german.

One day the MD of the parent company came to visit the complex.

All the dutch people would not speak or understand german when he was around and they forced him to speak english.

When he gad gone I enquired as to what was going on.

The answer was "remember the war".

This was around 1990.

Bernard

• 5 years later...

Hello can any one help please i have a Bachmann 32-250 and in the accessory bag ther is a sprue with four square boxes with a round pip top and bottom they have a cross in them does any one know were the go please cant find any pics. mike 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cracking Pics Adam, I ended up flogging the locomotive. I was trying to be strict in sticking to 1:160, save for the 08 - NS600 conversion as a 1:160 scale model would require some serious chassis engineering!

Archived