Tregonissey dries

mdjr78

Hello all,

Due to a house-move I had to put the work on my previous layout Penbugle on a hold. In my new house I've started with my new layout, again set in Cornwall.

Tregonissey is a small layout which pictures a rail-served china clay works. The layout is set at the beginning of this century. It is based on the St. Austell area (mainly Parkandillack-branch)

Below a overview of the layout. In the back is the main fiddle-yard. Buildings will be used as a viewblock/screen for entering the scenic section. The track on the right is the main branch. This leads to a 2-road sectorplate on the second fiddle yard. This will mostly be used bij DMU's (class 150, 153). On the front of the layout are the sidings for the clayworks. These will be set in concrete.

8105083880_d292d7fd20_z.jpg

This picture shows the layout with the background in place. A first base-layer of turf has been put on the layout.

8108228605_84dfdbe3e6_z.jpg

Finally a top view of the scenic section.

7859446220_c0efd82fe9_z.jpg

Werner

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I've started working on the first building for the layout. It is the loadingshed for bagged clay and sits at the right front of the layout. From the normal viewingpoint, only the side of the building will be visible.

The stage of construction is almost complete. It took some time, because the track is on an angle. Much calculating was involved, but is fits perfectly. Just a canopy to add at the railside and filling a few small gaps. Then painting and detailing can begin. Does anyone know a nice way to create a concrete-look?

8196617080_0f4efe55c4_z.jpg

Railside view

8196617154_3a367300bc_z.jpg

Normal view

Regards,

Werner

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing this develop. Just a small point of order in that the locations were usually called "dries" rather than "dryers" which is a very recent development thought to have arisen as large numbers of "incomers" moved into Cornwall. As always it's your layout and Rule 1 applies ;)

... Just a small point of order in that the locations were usually called "dries" rather than "dryers" ....

Rick, you are absolutely right. Just changed the name of the topic.

For the concrete I think I will try the Nevard-way and use DAS clay. I think it would look nicely as concrete. I might try a small piece first. To be continued....

Werner

• RMweb Premium

Have you seen my version with the Kernow dries? I used Woodland Scenics casting plaster for concrete which looks good enough to me and also crumbles and flakes to give rough edges when a sharp blade is applied to it. DAS clay would also do the job.

Thanks for the positive reactions. Today I got some work done on the layout today. The foamboard basis of the lefthand building is finished. Also I've placed the first (and only) working signal on the layout. I will try to get some pictures online tomorrow.

Werner

Hello all,

The pictures are a little bit later than anticipated, but with some more progress.

This is the local shunter at the bagged clay store. The building has a canopy and some gutters and rainpipes fitted. This is the view from the righthand fiddle yard.

8252472324_4e4f63b0c9_z.jpg

The next two pictures show the (working) signal and the lefthand shed.

8252472462_f106ac027c_z.jpg

8251403119_cc6a2dd234_z.jpg

Werner

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Despite the busy agenda during and after Christmas, I have been able to get some work on the layout done. All the points at the entry of the sidings are now ballasted as it proves to be dificult to set them in "concrete". Because these will be regularly used, so reliability was toppriority. Besides that the lefthand shed has been finished and is ready for paint (when the weather gets a bit less cold). The result is seen in the picture below. Also on the picture is a chimney that will hide the joint of the backscene. The chimney is made by sticking Das-clay on a plastic tube and then scribe the stones in to it.

8370884108_7eb7c33c10_z.jpg

I've also decided that I wanted some more heightdifferance in the landscape. So a roadbridge over the branchline was build and will replace the proposed building to screen the entrance of the fiddle-yard.

8369819247_42cb21640a_z.jpg

Werner

• 3 weeks later...

This looks a particularly interesting build. 
Always good to see another China Clay modeller on here ;)
I do like your chimney, looks proper that does! The bridge and buildings look great too.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Werner,

I've been following your progress with interest.  The layout is taking shape nicely and it's good to see a layout with working signals. Always good to have something tall to hide the joins, as well.

Now looking forward to seeing the bridge linked up to the landscape with more of your lovely pics.

Polly

smiley_giraffe.gif

Thank you for your nice comments. I've got some work done last couple of weeks. The landscape around the bridge is formed. I've painted the bridge before installing it on the layout and finishing the landscape. Painting is much easier without the layout attached. ;) 

First the bridge was sprayed in grey primer. After that is recieved a wash of diluted, whitish paint. This sets between the stones.

8460959075_4d038321b2_z.jpg

The next stage was to paint the individual stones. Starting off with picking som of the stones in Tamiya XF-53 'Neutral Grey'. After this step the 'Neutral Grey' was mixed with 'Sky Grey' (Tamiya XF-19) to make it a bit lighter. Again some (smaller) stones were picked out with this color. After that some bigger stones were painted in a futher mix by adding 'Buff' (Tamiya XF-57) en 'Sky Grey'. After adding mord 'Buff' and some white, the remaining stones were painted. in this proces the brush with paint was slightly dipped in water to dilute is a bit and get a slight variation in colour.

8460958993_8b26369309_z.jpg

The final step was to add a wash of a Sienna colour. This was scarcely applied to the bigger stones and almost inmediatelly wiped off with a small sponge (and onto the othet stones). 

8460958897_4ded410172_z.jpg

Next step is to place the bridge on the layout and work on the surroundig landscape. Progress will follow soon!

Werner

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Reece,

Yes, i'vemade some progress on the layout last year. Unfortunately not as much as I wanted to. The overbridge is fitted in the layout and some scenery around it has been made. Besides that i've made some changes to one of the buildings after seeing the delightful work of Iain Robinson. I've replaced one of the sides of the building and fitted a larger canopy. I've also made a new stone lineside building. Here are some pictures of the progress.

gallery_129_3237_94166.jpg

BR 08173 enters the scene with a local trip working.

gallery_129_3237_114809.jpg

A view of the new lineside hut and the scenery work i've done so far..

Werner

• 3 months later...

Hi Werner

Just found this thread (well, actually I followed the links in your signature...) and it is always a pleasure to see a fellow Dutchman building a British layout. Nice work, and it catches the Cornish atmosphere well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Keep us posted!

PS, are there any plans to carry on with the  Penbugle layout?. Anything GWR deserves to be finished...

Bedankt (thanks) Sierd Jan.

No progress on the Penbugle layout. I'm considering a mk2 version because i'm not happy with a few things (like the transporbility).

Meanwhile some work has been done on Tregonissey Dries. I've redone the grass on the back of the layout after reading 'Modelling grassland and landscape detailing' by Gordon Gravett. This time I used a selfbuild grassapplicator and I am happy with the results. Beside that i've extended the fence along the railway and constructed a second hedge. Both hedges are covered with some green foliage to give it an overgrown look.

15052854106_4d3e86b45e_c.jpg

The class 66 is a new addition to the collection. I've fitted it with a sounddecoder. This brings some extra attraction to a small layout.

15075498702_032d090a7e_c.jpg

Next up is probably the construction of the inset track and painting the claysheds.

To be continued.

Werner

Another update. I'm on a roll ;).

Last week i've worked on the fiddle yard on the righthand side of the layout. The old situation:

gallery_129_3237_73723.jpg

On top a traverser that connects to the main branch. This is for storing a couple DMU's or a locomotive with a few wagons.

Below that the lines that connect to the dries. Running around was done with the sector plate. The extra siding is used to store wagons (mostly silver bullits). The turnout is controled with the switch next to the sidings.

There were two reasons for making some changes:

1. I had chosen for the sector plate as a result of the available length of the baseboard. In operation however, I wasn't happy with it. The layout is controlled from the otherside of the layout. Shunting in dries meant I had to walk to this end of the layout (okay, it's not a marathon)
  2. I have bought a Lenz set 100. This "needs" a programming track. The siding on this baseboard was ideal.

So time to get the soldering iron out of the toolbox and start working. After a lot of construction and rewiring this is the result:

med_gallery_129_3237_21836.jpg

The sector plate has been replaced by a turnout. both turnouts will be controlled from the adjacent baseboard. To accommodate the larger loco's, the headshunt has been extended. This piece is detachable. The switch now controles the power on the siding between programming or normal operation.

Under the baseboard a "shelf" is made to accommodate the LZV100. This is connected to an Xbus adapter (Lenz LA152) on the front of the baseboard.

Werner

• 1 month later...

Breaking news! The small hamlet Tregonissey gets a halt.

For some time I was wondering what to do with the space between the branch line and sidings. It's to narrow for a field. Trees and undergrowth would block the view on the branch line too much. During recent driving session the solution came to mind: a small halt. This will also increase playing potention. I started with some research today and got aroud some test fitting the platformface on the layout. The platform will be connected to the overbridge bij a path and stairs. The platform shelter will be loosely based on the one at Roche.

15492706186_8836a87655_c.jpg

Still lot of work to do.

Werner

Archived