Tregonissey dries

mdjr78

Breaking news! The small hamlet Tregonissey gets a halt.

For some time I was wondering what to do with the space between the branch line and sidings. It's to narrow for a field. Trees and undergrowth would block the view on the branch line too much. During recent driving session the solution came to mind: a small halt. This will also increase playing potention. I started with some research today and got aroud some test fitting the platformface on the layout. The platform will be connected to the overbridge bij a path and stairs. The platform shelter will be loosely based on the one at Roche.

15492706186_8836a87655_c.jpg

Still lot of work to do.

Werner

Very nice, tis a great idea to add a small platform  :sungum:  I live in Roche, up the road from the real one - I can get you some prototype measurements/photos for the shelter if you like?

Thanks for your nice reply's and likes.

@RSLR

Some measurements would be most helpful. Unfortunately i'm not always able to get to Cornwall myself. I've made the shelter sample by looking at the pictures and measure it against the guy with the orange coat, but nothing can beat the real thing ofcourse.

Regards Werner

It looks pretty close to scale...maybe a little bit high if anything, but I havn't been to Roche for a few years ....

Victoria is a much better name for a station than Roche I think :)

I think it's called Roche Station to avoid confusion with a much larger Victoria Station :)

Well you see the story is: In the days before they built the great 'bridge' between Devon and Cornwall, they called what is now Roche, The Grand Victoria Station... but then they went and built the great 'bridge' now it's plain Roche. As a result 'Roche' is now just a single underused request stop platform than the grand station that it once was. See back in the day when mother were just a little girl thousands of people from all round used to travel to The Grand Victoria Station to visit The Great Victoria Inn to sample the many local Beers, Ciders and Pasties... now just plain Victoria Inn. At the time Victoria and the then City of Roche was the most wealthy area of Cornwall. 

As we all know the main reason the great 'bridge' was built was to stop Cornwall floating away and crashing into other countries ;)

A load of twaddle^

• 3 weeks later...

A small update on the halt. I've spent some time trying to fit the platform in the landscape. A little bit of trial and error becuase the platform is on a slight curve. So hacking away some ballast, checking clearances, glue it together, not satisfied, get is apart and do it all over again.

I'm happy with my second attempt (see photo below) The walls are made of Slater's Stone sheet and enhanced with some Evergreen strips and tiles. The topsurface is covered with a first layer of instant filler to create a asphalt surface. A second layer will be needed to get is smooth.

med_gallery_129_3237_4298.jpg

Next up: painting and build the platform shelter.

Werner

• 3 weeks later...

Making the platform surface of instant filler didn't work out like I hoped to. The surface wrapped due to the use of a cardboard base and I didn't like the finish. So i've started the third attempt. This time I want to use baby powder for the surface as described on the excellent Llangunllo blog.

Meanwhile I've worked on the platform shelter. The shelter has been made of Styrenestrips from Evergreen. Inside the shelter I've made a bench. A lot of work considering I normally will only see the backside of the shelter. I'm awaiting some corrugated sheet to finish the roof.

15663545180_9da779c143_z.jpg

Half way the build. The frame has been made from 2 x 2mm strip which is covered with 0.25 x 2.5 mm strip to present the planking.

15848913771_f1c7560519_z.jpg

The main structure is finish. This will need some retouching with putty at some places before is will get a coat of primer. I will start painting the inside before fitting the roof as I can sqeeze in a paintbrush right now.

15228630984_a4eb2cbe2e_z.jpg

The shelter at it's place.

Werner

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Some slow progress last months due to a lack of time (has anyone has ever enough?). The time available has mostly been put in finishing the platform and shelter for the halt. Some trail and error to get a satisfying platform surface. Besides that a couple of painting sessions have been spent on the halt. Unbelievable how many layers of white you need to get an even layer.

But finally the halt has been put in place this weekend.

16851323098_a87b2f7162_c.jpg

There is still some work to do on the halt. There will be some spear fencing and the access by the stairs in the background has yet to be finished.

In the foreground some of the other work that has been done last months. The baseboard surface around the tracks has been raised. And I've started to cut some foam for the inset track (like used on Andy's Keyhaven).

Werner

Archived