Hydraulic days old oak common.

D1030western musketeer

• RMweb Gold

More absolutely cracking pictures Richard

3rd picture up in last set - the sets of wheels behind the yellow transit, the white gear on the axles catches the eye

Cheers

Phil

Phil

Yes have spotted it know and yes could do with a touch of paint also not spotted yet is the newish up to date Volvo digger but I like it.

What these photos do show is the time and effort put into the detailing done on the locos esp the westerns as all are Heljan versions and shows how busy old oak common use to be.

A classic and muched missed era.

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha we spotted the digger coz we just brought SWMBOs son a lego one - and he is 23!

You are right about the hydraulics! What you have here must represent one of the best attempts to re-create the time and place - and boy have you succeeded! The locos are always key to a depot layout and these are spot on.

We all know the issues with the Heljan Westerns but do they create the right atmosphere here? Oh yes.....!!

Thanks again for sharing

Phil

Hi Richard,

(Richard said;)

A classic and much missed era.

Amen to that!

Finally had to drop in and say how much I like your layout and the work you've done on your locos, really good stuff!

Cheers,

John E.

PS I don't know what happened to the quote, hopefully still readable & makes sense.

Thanks again guys nice comments.

Just to add I did plan to replace all Heljan westerns with dapols versions but as mentioned elsewhere I could not get these to run and derailed in numerous places of the layout.

It was then deemed to cost effective to replace so I again set about attempting to super detail all my Heljan westerns and to say at least they are superb runners and will haul anything.

Also seen in the photos is a blue Pullman transferred over to the WR which I have removed the midland logo and revised the yellow cab to correct livery.

The only loco much wanted for old oak is a big ED class 74 as during my 1975-77 visits always see one on a freight.

I am at the moment replaceing all locos with a revised coupling as in piano wire hook as this allows detailing both ends and running trains both ways only the Heljan hymeks are a bit tricky due to the metal chassis block behind the buffers.

Richard.  

• RMweb Gold

The coupling loops are well worth doing Richard

That's a standard on our locos and as you say it makes a big difference!

Hardest are unrefurbed 37s as the cowling obscures most of the buffer beam so not much room to mount wire loop

Cheers

Phil

Glad you like ralph.

Phil always good to see your layout and have noticed your wire method on the locos except the hymek shots.

They seem the hardest to me as the wire cant pass through as hits the metal chassis block and are hard to fit sprung buffers to not surprised Heljan didn't fit them.

Yes I've tried to create scenes of my favourite depot alas in times wene everything was still colourful in livery's and days I wish I could of seen myself.

The class 52 will always have a place in history and of course still does as even today with have champ on GBRF duties.

Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

Well they say a layout is nether finished.

The hub of the layout is of course the turntable and over many months have tried to get this fully working using several gears and motors with no success.

Until I popped in maplins one day and see a cheap gearbox made up with motor and battery pack. On testing without fitting it spun round like hellfire and my thoughts this isn't no good but proceeded anyway in fitting it up. Once fitting I found the turntable well to not be lined up to good and then tested. To my surprise after a few adjustments it worked and still is until possibly the gog shaft decides to fall out.I then found that most feeder tracks needed raising to suite. So the main hub now has a working turntable. :stinker: Other work done has seen the signal box redone and re bricked to suit the original with fittings done inside as does light up.

The bad news that followed this work was the passing away of my baby sister who lost her fight for life on Saturday 4th jan off cancer and will be sadly missed and loved.

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

So sorry to hear that Richard

All our modelling tribulations are trivial in comparison

Nice to hear that you are still managing to make progress on the modelling front - your mojo can be difficult to keep going at times like this

Phil

• 2 months later...

A recent update has been certain track alterations to allow 8 coach trains.

Some coaches have now been fitted with train tech lights with passengers and internal painting added.

Loco arrivals have seen class 40 40141 renumbered to D332 ex works and the missing western of the preserved lot as D1048 Western Lady weathered as she would of looked around 1968 br blue livery. 

All my Heljan westerns are now going through the workshop with minor bogie detail and cab lights being fitted.

The only departure has been the class 15.

A set of 21t Dapol hoppers have also arrived and are now weathered and handrails being fitted.

Richard.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In not yet knowing the future of this layout I am still messing about with what stock I have.

One fault not noticed by others was with my westerns.

This being I had fitted them all with the dual brake pipe but to my era these did not start being fitted to the class until late 1968 with D1066 being the 1st and in fact the last D1023 was not fitted until 1973.

I now have gone through all 16 and removed the pipe silly me.

Richard.

Archived