Bachmann Class 66 sounds help.

JM799

Hi There

Am new to DCC sound and have just bought a Bachmann EZ Controller and a Bachmann Freightliner Class 66 DCC sound loco, however I cannot get some of the sounds to work and some are in a different order from the instruction sheet included with the loco. Can anyone tell me is this how it should be or is there a problem with the loco.

The instruction sheet says;

F0 = Directional Lighting

F1 = Sound on/off

F2 = Single Horn

F3 = Double Horn

F4 = Fan

F5 = Notch Up

F6 = Notch Down

F7 = Shunting speed

F8 = Cab Lighting

F9 = Buffer Action

F10 = Coupling Sound

However as the EZ command has F1-10 its a bit different is this correct;

F1 = Sound ON/OFF (However sometimes the sound just goes off immediately sometimes does shutdown)

F2 Single Horn

F3 Double Horn

F4 =Fan

F5 = Notch Up

F6 = Nothing

F7 = Shunting speed

F8 = Cablighting

F9 = Nothing

F10 = Directional lighting

I found that if you press F5 after notching up and press again it will notch down but where do i get Buffer Action , Coupling sounds, also as mentioned sometimes the loco does not power down it just stops the sound when i press F1, is that a fault?

Any comments would be appreciated as not sure if its me or a problem with the loco.

Thanks in advance

JM799

Hi There

Am new to DCC sound and have just bought a Bachmann EZ Controller and a Bachmann Freightliner Class 66 DCC sound loco, however I cannot get some of the sounds to work and some are in a different order from the instruction sheet included with the loco. Can anyone tell me is this how it should be or is there a problem with the loco.

The instruction sheet says;

F0 = Directional Lighting

F1 = Sound on/off

F2 = Single Horn

F3 = Double Horn

F4 = Fan

F5 = Notch Up

F6 = Notch Down

F7 = Shunting speed

F8 = Cab Lighting

F9 = Buffer Action

F10 = Coupling Sound

However as the EZ command has F1-10 its a bit different is this correct;

F1 = Sound ON/OFF (However sometimes the sound just goes off immediately sometimes does shutdown)

F2 Single Horn

F3 Double Horn

F4 =Fan

F5 = Notch Up

F6 = Nothing

F7 = Shunting speed

F8 = Cablighting

F9 = Nothing

F10 = Directional lighting

I found that if you press F5 after notching up and press again it will notch down but where do i get Buffer Action , Coupling sounds, also as mentioned sometimes the loco does not power down it just stops the sound when i press F1, is that a fault?

Any comments would be appreciated as not sure if its me or a problem with the loco.

Thanks in advance

JM799

The difficulty lies with the Bachmann EZ command which is not designed to operate sophisticated sound chips. If the supplier suggested that it will, your first recourse is with them.

The Hornby controllers also suffer from similar problems in the number of buttons to push.

You will need to upgrade your command station.

Most Loksound chips are programmed such that turning F1 off whilst the loco is still moving causes the sound to stop immediately. Turning it back on (whilst still moving) usually causes it to pick up instantly where it left off. You normally only get a proper shutdown and startup if the loco is stationary.

Your buffer clash might be programmed to only sound if the loco is moving at slow speeds, that's how I program mine? (or your instructions could be wrong)

I don't use notching but I've heard that it can be a bit temperamental. I believe you have to give each button press time to work.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Building on what Bif said above, F6 'Notch down' is not quick to respond in my experience, so it may appear that nothing happens when you press it.

However, as well the scenario outlined by Bif above, if you have not notched fully 'down' after having notched 'up', the sound will stop instantly upon pressing F1.

A further note - Bachmann sound loco's instructions sheet's function listing can frequently be listed under 'fiction' rather than 'non-fiction'.

Hi

Thanks all for the excellent advice. Seems from the conversations that the EZ Command may not be upto all the commands. Anyway it is an entry system so not too bothered, but have tried the shutdown and even when idling and stationary it still sometimes just stops all sound and does not power down and F6 does not work even after delay.

Anyway thanks for responses, most helpful.

JM799

Archived