Not at all new system from CT electronic?

Whilst investigating chips this week I discovered this:

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/manufacturers/ct-electronik.aspx

It's retail price was around £300 which compared well with similiar kit. Liked the look of the throttle too. Has anyone had a go with one as I would certainly consider upgrading from my Powercab?

Brass buttons were rather steam punk too!

Here as well:

http://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/train-automation/Digital_Start_Set_ZF5___HR3.html

You'll have to change the title of this thread, as the CT system has been out and available for at least 4 or 5 years.

Digitrains need to update their website too, as that page is quite old now !

The CT system comes with or without a (radio) wireless option and can also operate in true DC mode (not that address 0 nonsense).

Unlike the MRC/Gaugemaster attempts at dual DCC and DC, this system has full DCC functionality.

DCC Supplies has more information on the CT system. See here

The CT Elektronik website is in German, but you can view it through a Google translation.

I have a feeling a member, or former member of the forum uses this system.

Were I looking to acquire a full system now, this one would be a definite contender. That genuine DC capability is a useful feature over the Lenz 100 that up until now I have always said would be replaced 'like for like' whithout a second thought should it be lost in some way. Still haven't got around to even sampling a CT Electronic decoder, reputedly a good match for Zimo in terms of adjustments to deal with 'difficult' motors.

Their decoders are really good, I can get my Dapol prairie moving so slowly that you can make a cuppa before it moves 2 ft on SBL! I thought I had seen all their stuff, so was very surprised to find a full system as well. The CT decoders also support Zimo's train detection system. Not cheap though.

Trust DCC supplies to have better info, was a really comprehensive list on their site, top marks again, plus they replaced a popped CT75 for me at no cost.( no connection to them, just think good service needs reporting.)

CT Elektronik gear is technically very good indeed and well worth attention from all.

Regrettably. and i doubt that things have changed very much, the manufacturers back up is practically nil even for German speaking buyers. This means that when things go wrong or you run into the edges of your knowledge or expertise, you will be very much on your own.

That CT command unit was available when I bought my first sound decoders from them at the Dortmund show in 2006. I still have two and, in terms of slow running, they are the best decoders I have although a Lenz Gold standard I once had ran them a close second.

The similarities between CT and Zimo are understandable as the MD of CT used to work for Zimo and I think still sells them projects and expertise.

Since my earlier posting I have been idly rooting around in their on line dokumentation this afternoon, which reads pretty well. It's the sort of quality one hopes to find to support gear of this nature; but it is resolutely in German which is going to limit its appeal somewhat. Definitely going to treat myself to a couple of the small high capability decoders.

The best descrtiption of the decoders is on Arnold Hubert's pages. There is a link from Nigel Cliffe's article on DCC uncoupling on the 2mmSA website.

Agreed the manuals etc look "zer Deutsch" Surely it's about time they hired some customer service chaps instead of more developers. NCE gave great service when my Powercab broke. Still looking from someone who has tried the handset. Shiny, me want.....

The best descrtiption of the decoders is on Arnold Hubert's pages. There is a link from Nigel Cliffe's article on DCC uncoupling on the 2mmSA website.

Agreed the manuals etc look "zer Deutsch" Surely it's about time they hired some customer service chaps instead of more developers.

Arnold Huebsch' document is good, but it is now very old, and consequently incorrect on a few fine details. The CT German manuals are also not totally accurate either.

There is a document with a list of CV's which John Clutterbuck and I put together a couple of years ago. Its was posted in one of the Yahoo groups for DCC. Its the nearest to a definitive English language CV list for the decoders. The same information is in the JMRI files for the decoders.

- Nigel

Archived