Roco Z21

• 1 month later...

Hi recently purchased blCk Z21 but can’t get Hornby locos except 1 to work.I have separate program track siding.

It goes green light does a little shuffle and that’s it.

Take to main track and nothing at all.

Latest app , latest iPad iOS .

Done a firmware update .

My newest loco mallard with sound nothing.I understand the older chipset but mine are all newish and even a TVs brand still nothing.

I can’t find much on you tube as far as adding locos

Cheers

Hi recently purchased blCk Z21 but can’t get Hornby locos except 1 to work.I have separate program track siding.

It goes green light does a little shuffle and that’s it.

Take to main track and nothing at all.

Latest app , latest iPad iOS .

Done a firmware update .

My newest loco mallard with sound nothing.I understand the older chipset but mine are all newish and even a TVs brand still nothing.

I can’t find much on you tube as far as adding locos

Cheers

Hi there and welcome to the forum.  Just to be clear and hopefully help, are you saying locos won't run or that you can't figure out how to add a new loco in the app?  

Cheers .. Alan 

• 1 month later...

The z/Z21 will not cause lights to flicker and if the track voltage is enough to make the locos run then the output voltage of the z/Z21 is not the issue and you will need to look elsewhere for your issue.

Changing the output voltage on a z/Z21 is simply a matter of changing the track voltage in either the app on your phone or via the Maintenance Programme from a PC.

IIRC the default track voltage for a z/Z21 is 18v.

We have a Z21 which we like but it makes the DCC Lighting on some of the models 'Flicker'  I assume this is a voltage issue????

Anyone got an idea how to stop this please.  Thanks Charlie

Hi Charlie.

Check the pickups on the models affected.

Fitting a stay alive to some of the models might help.

Tony.

We have a Z21 which we like but it makes the DCC Lighting on some of the models 'Flicker'  I assume this is a voltage issue????

Anyone got an idea how to stop this please.  Thanks Charlie

Could it be a decoder issue? Do all the affected models have the same DCC decoder?

• RMweb Gold

What's the loco(s) and decoder?

Not a problem I've had and I've got Heljan, Hornby, Minitrains, Bachmann, Dapol, Tillig, Brawa and more. The only issues I've found are certain loco makes with certain decoders so this is a new one. I've got Z21, NCE and the multimaus so I can try to replicate it if I've got similar locos.

The only similar fault I had was with Heljan with flickering lights which it turned out don't like Gaugemaster, DCCconcepts or lokpilot decoders in my experience but bizarrely loksound, Bachmann and Lenz not an issue!

What's the loco(s) and decoder?

Not a problem I've had and I've got Heljan, Hornby, Minitrains, Bachmann, Dapol, Tillig, Brawa and more. The only issues I've found are certain loco makes with certain decoders so this is a new one. I've got Z21, NCE and the multimaus so I can try to replicate it if I've got similar locos.

The only similar fault I had was with Heljan with flickering lights which it turned out don't like Gaugemaster, DCCconcepts or lokpilot decoders in my experience but bizarrely loksound, Bachmann and Lenz not an issue!

Its a RealTrack Class 156 with LokSound Select decoders.  It is also fine with Hornby Elite & Lenz Set 100.

I have had flickering with DCConcepts decoder but only when dimmed.  Was OK at 100% intensity. I needed to reduce the brightness so I ended up running them at 100% but added extra resistance in series with the LED's to drop the current.

• 4 months later...

Evening all , sorry if this has been asked before , i have had a shift around in my room today and when i have moved the Z21 it appears i may have plugged it into my virgin media router and as the app no longer works on any device i'm guessing it's changed it's ip address to that of my home network , the device shows in the devices as being connected but no apps will connect to the Z21 , anyone done this before and knows how to sort it? Tia

Edited by sulzer71

12 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Evening all , sorry if this has been asked before , i have had a shift around in my room today and when i have moved the Z21 it appears i may have plugged it into my virgin media router and as the app no longer works on any device i'm guessing it's changed it's ip address to that of my home network , the device shows in the devices as being connected but no apps will connect to the Z21 , anyone done this before and knows how to sort it? Tia

Where is the z21 plugged into now and which wireless are you connecting onto to reach the z21? If you have plugged it back into the z21 router then you need to connect to that wireless and enter the address shown above - if yiu have it connected to your home network then it will need more information to sort out the issue

The z21 has a fixed IP address and it will be as Allan suggests above - unless you have changed it to some other address

40 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Where is the z21 plugged into now and which wireless are you connecting onto to reach the z21? If you have plugged it back into the z21 router then you need to connect to that wireless and enter the address shown above - if yiu have it connected to your home network then it will need more information to sort out the issue

The z21 has a fixed IP address and it will be as Allan suggests above - unless you have changed it to some other address

it`s connected to the Z21 router , it show's as connected in networks but no app will connect to it , iv'e tried the above but does nothing

what do you mean that it shows as connected in networks? what are you looking at?

On the phone you need to connect to the Z21 Router NOT you home network and I advise you not to connect the z21 router to your home network either.

Once you have connected your phone to the Z21 router the enter the address 192.168.0.111 into the app and you should connect.

Edited by WIMorrison

4 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

what do you mean that it shows as connected in networks? what are you looking at?

On the phone you need to connect to the Z21 Router NOT you home network and I advise you not to connect the z21 router to your home network either.

Once you have connected your phone to the Z21 router the enter the address 192.168.0.1 into the app and you shoukd connect.

on the smartphone where it says available networks , it is connected to the Z21 and even after entering that ip address it will not connect , the problem is you are saying do not connect the router to your home network but that's why i posted this as i may have done that earlier today and that's what's causing the problem

It will only cause an issue whilst they are connected - once you have disconnected them and rebooted everything it should be back to the status it was before.

what is the name of the network you are connecting your phone onto (iphone or android?) 

if an iphone go to WiFi to see the name of the network and elect the info icon at the end of the SSID - what is the iPaddress that is shown there?

4 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

It will only cause an issue whilst they are connected - once you have disconnected them and rebooted everything it should be back to the status it was before.

what is the name of the network you are connecting your phone onto (iphone or android?) 

if an iphone go to WiFi to see the name of the network and elect the info icon at the end of the SSID - what is the iPaddress that is shown there?

i have disconnected them and rebooted everything , even did factory reset on the Z21 , it's android phone and i'm connecting to Z21_4738 , it's saying connected no internet but the app does nothing , doesn't show the blue icon in the top right corner

There won’t be any internet connection but if you have connected to the Z21 router - which you have, and you have an IP address that is 192.168.0.x - I don’t know who you check it in Android but best to check it - and you have entered 192.168.0.112 into the app as the address for the Z21 then all should work.

just check that you have connected the Z21 into one of the bank of 4 network connections and not the port that is on its own.

can I suggest that you install this app (or similar) onto your phone and do a scan?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodidea.network.ipscanner&hl=en

this should only show 3 items on the network

a) router

b) your phone

c) the Z21

the address you need to enter into the Z21 app is the last one, which should be 192.168.0.111.

come back with a screen shot of what you see if you still cant get a connection.

19 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

can I suggest that you install this app (or similar) onto your phone and do a scan?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.goodidea.network.ipscanner&hl=en

this should only show 3 items on the network

a) router

b) your phone

c) the Z21

the address you need to enter into the Z21 app is the last one, which should be 192.168.0.111.

come back with a screen shot of what you see if you still cant get a connection.

scan done on phone , it brings up the mini pc (which is not connected to the Z21 or router at all) , my phone and the router , however when i switch the device on phone to the Z21 it brings up my phone and the TP LINK Router (Z21) which is saying the IP is 192.168.1.1 , if i open the Z21 app and change the IP address to match it still does nothing