Roco Z21

Having tried repeatedly and failing to programme the Krokodile on the Z21, I tied the Gaugemaster unit to read the cv on crocodile and it read 384 wherever that number came from I have no idea as it should have 3 [unless mfx was involved] however I was able to reset the address and run the Locomotive with the Gaugemaster unit. So it would appear there is a " gremlin" in my Z21.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another problem.

I bought a Digikeijs occupancy detector, as the latest appp update included the option for using them.

I installed it, and it (sort of) works....

When driving into the detected track, the icon lights up only to go out a few seconds later.

If I then press back to the app start screen and press the play icon, the icon is lit up (as it should be).

Strange....

Edited by M Graff

Had a reply from Roco saying they have sorted the "glitches"  regarding address etc problems in the Firmwave update of July 16th 2015.

I noticed at the weekend that both my tablet and phone  now seem to be working again with loco long addresses.  But I didn't see any App update download message come through on my screen.  So maybe I just missed it and it happened without my knowledge or permission.  Strange.    It's now Ver 2.5.4 which I assume must be the latest corrected version.

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly is the problem? What have you tried yourself already?

Hi. I thank you first for your interest. Here is the situation. I bought an NCE Switch8 Mk2 from US for it is supposed to drive 8 Tortoise switch machines at the same time using DCC addresses and CV's. Before that I have a ROCO Z21 box. I did what it is written into the NCE Sw8.2 . That is to say: I connected a Tortoise to one o the eight output of the NCE and the Z21 to the NCE track input. Like you know the Z21drives the power and DCC orders to the track in the same time. What I got on the NCE display is that the power in ON but there is no DCC information coming in NCE. I did it several times. The Tortoise motor move to the left but never to the right. The Z21 is said to be NMRA compatible. Where could be the problem ?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a new system, currently I run a Digitrax Empire Builder, but I think the European systems offer more functionality than the current US systems, so that's where I'm looking, despite the paucity of support fot these systems Stateside.

Anyway, I think the Z21 software shows a lot of promise, even though I'm not 100% convinced that tablet or phone are great for cab control, which I already do with my Digitrax system. However, I would really like to be able to run shuttle trains and as far as I'm aware Z21 can only do that with the help of specific decoders, something which I have no interest in. My question then is, does Z21 support shuttle running, if not, are there plans for it and what would the timetable be? If not it's Intellibox and I'll use the Digitrax as a booster on the loconet.

I'm not aware of shuttle functions on the Z21, but then I don't need those.

I understand (assume, actually) you already have a shuttle system working via LocoNet? As the Z21 is a LocoNet Master device. just plug the LN cables over and it should work as before.

Will the Z21 allow a Digitrax booster to be plugged into it's Loconet socket, observing insulation between sections naturally?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An interesting glitch has happened with my Samsung Tab 2 after a software update. The track controls have become sluggish or don't work at all. I hear a slight input to the point motor, Coabalt ipdigital, but they don't move over. I increased the voltage to 18 volts from 16 but it appears to be the controller as the identical set up on iphone works reliably every time on three different handsets all linked to the Z21. Loco control on the tablet is unaffected. I tried rebooting the tablet but the problem persists. It's a pain as the tablet is better for the track controls due to the larger screen. I also tried recreating a new layout purely to start again but it's identical. I suspect either the tablet version now has a bug that means the Z21 app isn't right or the Z21 update has a bug in it!

I've emailled Roco and await their reply ;) I won't update the iphones for a bit!

Z21 and Feedback 'R' Bus. 

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to pose this question.  I have a nice new Z21 which I'm setting up ready for my layout which is under construction.  I have several Lenz LR101 feedback encoders left over from a previous layout which I was hoping to use, however it looks like these may not be supported by the Z21.  First, they don't appear in the app and second, the R bus connector is the telephone or Ethernet type, which I can't see being possible to connect the LR101 to.

I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm this is the case, or even better, if anyone can confirm they are indeed compatible.  I'll have somewhere around 60-70 detection zones so even at 8 per unit (as per the Roco or Uhlenbrock encoders), I'll have a fair to fork out if I can't use the Lenz LR101s (less any second hand value I can sell them for if it comes to it)

Anyway, any feedback  :jester:    most welcome.

Regards

Alan 

I do not have a right click on my touch screen and no mouse, so a downloadable copy would be most useful, plus the picture I have is very fuzzy and not readable using the snipping tool!

regards

mike g

I have another problem.

I bought a Digikeijs occupancy detector, as the latest appp update included the option for using them.

I installed it, and it (sort of) works....

When driving into the detected track, the icon lights up only to go out a few seconds later.

If I then press back to the app start screen and press the play icon, the icon is lit up (as it should be).

Strange....

After the latest update it works perfect!

I can very much recommend the Digikeijs detector!

http://www.digikeijs.com/dr4088rb-cs-16-channel-r-bus-feedback-module.html

At €60 it is a very cheap alternative to ROCO 787 plus reeds.

The Digikeijs detector handles 16 blocks where the Roco only handles 8 blocks at a cost of €92....

Edited by M Graff

Mike, try this link: click

Alan, the Lenz feedback stuff (RS bus) cannot be used with the Z21, regrettably. Alternatives include Roco's own module (expensive) and those for the Xpress and LocoNet buses.

Hi Dutchmaster,

Many thanks for your reply. That's a shame indeed and is going to get expensive for me. I'm wondering if I could still use them if I buy a Lenz controller to use as a slave. If so, that could be a lot cheaper then replacing all my LR101 units. Any idea if that's workable?

Thanks

Alan

I can very much recommend the Digikeijs detector!http://www.digikeijs.com/dr4088rb-cs-16-channel-r-bus-feedback-module.html

The Digikeijs detector handles 16 blocks where the Roco only handles 8 blocks at a cost of €92....

These look good, and a great saving on cost. Do they work from reed switches?

I can very much recommend the Digikeijs detector!http://www.digikeijs.com/dr4088rb-cs-16-channel-r-bus-feedback-module.html

Hi and thanks again for your reply. I've been getting up to speed on these on their website. One thing though, my app (iPad) doesn't include these as an option in the occupancy detectors screen. I have the latest version so - a bit odd!

Hi and thanks again for your reply. I've been getting up to speed on these on their website. One thing though, my app (iPad) doesn't include these as an option in the occupancy detectors screen. I have the latest version so - a bit odd!

No, they are not included in the app, but I use the roco 10787 settings. It works perfectly.