Would a scotrail liveried 47 ever have been seen at Penzance?

Clagsniffer

They had been reallocated away from Scotland when the photo was taken. 47492 moved from Inverness to Crewe in 1990.

I am more intrigued by the Hymek in the background.

Geoff Endacott

Depending on when that photo was taken, it's probably D7018 as D7017 was in dutch livery late in 1992, and in blue in 1993 (IIRC).  Possibly en route to an open day somewhere?

Edit - I've just seen Vin's post - it's definitely D7018 as D7017 had full yellow ends by the summer of 1991, the Bath Road open day was 29th June 1991.

Edited by Pugsley

• 1 month later...

Hello Clagsniffer

Just checked Flikr for class 47 at Penzance and there is an excellent photo of 47715 in Scotrail and nameplate at the Penzance buffer stops. Just make sure you don't do what some retailers do and add snowplough as they never had them fitted

Regards

John

For the rest of us, here's the pictures alluded to above. Case proven:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11236817293

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11236725585

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11236733904

I recall travelling behind one of the two Scotrail liveried machines that came south coming back from Weymouth to Yeovil about this time, mostly because it was the last time I travelled on the national network in a compartment - probably a tatty mark 1 BSK. Why do I remember it? Either the battery died or someone mucked about with the switch: the lights didn't work.

Adam

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For the rest of us, here's the pictures alluded to above. Case proven:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11236817293

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11236725585

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11236733904

I recall travelling behind one of the two Scotrail liveried machines that came south coming back from Weymouth to Yeovil about this time, mostly because it was the last time I travelled on the national network in a compartment - probably a tatty mark 1 BSK. Why do I remember it? Either the battery died or someone mucked about with the switch: the lights didn't work.

Adam

Bet the girlfriend didn't believe you.

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know if they made it to Penzance or not, but one passing through Lenzie in 1988 appears in my family photos of vacations with my Grandparents in Scotland (yeah, looking at the camera wasn't my thing!), so a Scotrail Class 47 in small scale at least has found a home on my display shelf in Toronto!

15806867922_e2b70b6688_o.jpg47703 - Saint Mungo by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

A re-named/numbered Bachmann Branchline 00 Gauge Class 47, with Fox Transfers Name Plates and Modelmaster Shed insignia/Number decals.  You can't see in the picture, but you can actually make out the loco number in the original shot of my sister and myself at a much younger age!

I didn't go crazy with fixing any inaccuracies with the recent Bachmann Release, for this project, i wanted the happy memory of train watching as a kid with my grandparents, not a rivet accurate model.

Stephen

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

One question I never had answered was when the 47/7s were transferred away from the Glasgow - Edinburgh Push-Pull service were they modified back to their original 95mph maximum or did they retain official 100mph capability.

I remeber the small plate on the drivers door of the altered locos stating the higher max speed and the routes passed for same.  

One question I never had answered was when the 47/7s were transferred away from the Glasgow - Edinburgh Push-Pull service were they modified back to their original 95mph maximum or did they retain official 100mph capability.

I remeber the small plate on the drivers door of the altered locos stating the higher max speed and the routes passed for same.  

The 47/7 locos were never permanently modified for 100mph operation

The data panels and cab panels stated Max Speed 95mph

100mph was only permitted between Glasgow QS and Edinburgh, via Falkirk High

This was due to the short train formation making 100mph possible

Prior to 1988 the other requirement was a headlight

From 1988 this was amended to HST, and at the next inspection this was painted on each loco

Were they limited to 95mph on the Aberdeen trains? - presumably the stock was the same (or Mk2 air conditioned in place of Mk3, but still 100mph capable) - were there no 100 mph stretches of line on the Glasgow to Aberdeen (after leaving the E-G at Greenhill) or Edinburgh to Aberdeen routes?

or on the Edinburgh leg of the Carstairs portions?

Were they limited to 95mph on the Aberdeen trains? - presumably the stock was the same (or Mk2 air conditioned in place of Mk3, but still 100mph capable) - were there no 100 mph stretches of line on the Glasgow to Aberdeen (after leaving the E-G at Greenhill) or Edinburgh to Aberdeen routes?

or on the Edinburgh leg of the Carstairs portions?

Officially, not permitted to exceed 95mph on any other route

Even HST rarely reached some of the the higher HST speed limit, due to station stops

As an example was the 100mph section through Springfield

Max Line Speed -

Carstairs to Edinburgh :

Carstairs South to Haymarket East = 95mph

Glasgow QS to Dundee :

Greenhill to Larbert = 70mph

Larbert to Stirling = 95mph

Stirling to Dunblane = 75mph

Dunblane to Perth = 95mph

Perth to Dundee = 90mph

There are two short sections of HST 100mph (Larbert to Stirling and Gleneagles to Perth)

Edinburgh to Dundee :

Haymarket East to Dalmeny = 90mph

Dalmeny to Ladybank = 75mph

Ladybank to Dundee = 85mph

Short section of HST 100mph (South Gyle to Dalmeny, Dalmeny to Ladybank 85mph, Springfield, Leuchars to Dundee 95mph)

Dundee to Aberdeen :

Dundee to Arbroath = 90mph

Arbroath to Montrose = 80mph

Montrose to Aberdeen = 90mph

Short section of HST 100mph (Dundee to Carnoustie, Arbroath to Montrose 90mph, Montrose to Aberdeen)

Edited by mjkerr

Ah right, I'd just assumed there would have been more 100mph sections. I happened to be watching a Railscene video from 1984 recently with a cabride from Perth to Inverness and it was mentioning a section of line which had been upgraded for 100mph for the HSTs. I'd expected lower speeds on that line than the lines to Aberdeen for example.

Hi all,

The 100mph was also because of the extra maintenance that the 47/7 had. The line speed being a factor into the equation, as was the braking distances on disc braked mk3 stock with a DBSO. One question I don't know the answer to is that not all DBSO's where fitted with disc brakes? So where they restricted to the Aberdeen route and only used on a restricted speed rating for the Edinburgh to Glasgow route?

Regards

Vin

Thats all very interesting I had heard that there were field mods on the traction motors although I am sure the 47/7s were capable of another 5mph over their designed max  purely down to the fact that they were running on a fairly straight billiard table route only 40 miles long and hauling a lightweight disc braked train.

They did run continuously in the high 90s and often 100 daily and given the amount of runs each working day they must have been the hardest worked 47s in the country by a mile.

After the green from the platform end at Queen St it was straight at the 1 in 42 Cowlairs incline and once over the top they sounded like they were flat out to Falkirk..then again flat out to Haymarket.

This went on all day so I guess the higher maintenance regime was mandatory.

I wondered did they alternate the Aberdeen runs with the Edinburgh to give the locos a break so to speak as I presume a daily mileage on the Edinburgh given the trips was higher and definitely at higher sustained speeds.

We lost a fantastic service the likes of which I would doubt we will ever see again.

I well remember BR trying to publicise the new Sprinter service as if it was a step forward and failing miserably.

The public were not that gullible and coming off Mk 3 coaches and a 43 min timing it was soon obvious that they had been had with crowded slower trains.

We must not forget of course the earlier Push Pulls with Class 27s and Mk2s as if anything these were even more impressive given the unsuitability of these type 2 locos to run in the 90s all day long.

There is a log in a publication of the route which shows a pair of type 2s actually hitting 100mph..no wonder there were flashovers.

Great stuff and sadly missed.

Dave.

• Like 3

One question I don't know the answer to is that not all DBSO's where fitted with disc brakes?

So where they restricted to the Aberdeen route and only used on a restricted speed rating for the Edinburgh to Glasgow route?

These were the second batch of conversions and did not have their brakes modified

Initially they were restricted to Aberdeen duties and operated with Mark 2D coaches

When reallocated to Craigentinny some tests were carried out and confirmed it made no difference when operated with at least four Mark 3A coaches

In 1987 these requirements were thrown away

Thats all very interesting I had heard that there were field mods on the traction motors although I am sure the 47/7s were capable of another 5mph over their designed max  purely down to the fact that they were running on a fairly straight billiard table route only 40 miles long and hauling a lightweight disc braked train.

They did run continuously in the high 90s and often 100 daily and given the amount of runs each working day they must have been the hardest worked 47s in the country by a mile

That is correct, the modifications were carried out at Crewe or Doncaster works

However permission was only given for 100mph between Glasgow and Edinburgh

Equally, drivers commented that they could tell the difference at low speed as a 47/7 was very slow to respond, but once above 30mph could really accelerate

However, individual locos are always quite different so it wasn't very conclusive

If you want to see how intensive the 47/7 are used compared to a 47/4 try the SIAM range of Games, ScotRail Fleet Manager

A 47/7 would basically start its weekday at 06:00 and end about 21:00

Several of the diagrams were taken over by HST at the end of the day, and some had the 47/7 swapped over during this time

Edited by mjkerr

Agree with Vital spark about the 27s on Edinburgh - Glasgow, lots of thrash. Never seen any good video of it though. I always thought the 47s were never as exciting to ride behind.

Yep the 27s were certainly vocal. I made lots of runs behind them but unfortunately didn't manage to record it on video.

Did get a bit of the 47/7s though and when videoing from the first coach window the sound of the loco was impressive.

I knew a couple of drivers on the 27s back in their day and they were like chalk and cheese with one of them old school who would push the loco to its limit to maintain time as that was what was important to the customer..the other was a lot more laid back  and would keep the thing within its limits as he saw it but often lost a minute or two.

Result was the former spent a lot to time with failed locos and flashovers apparently…still I know the one I would want to be riding behind.

Towards the end they substituted one of the 27s for a 37 so maybe that took the pressure off a bit.

Great days.

Dave

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me if 47 712 Lady Di moved south and appeared on the West of England line? I recall several such 47s on the line after 1988/9, but didnt take note of numbers,

Hornby's new release of this loco with sound has made me ask the question...

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Can anyone tell me if 47 712 Lady Di moved south and appeared on the West of England line? I recall several such 47s on the line after 1988/9, but didnt take note of numbers,

Hornby's new release of this loco with sound has made me ask the question...

I think she did  replacing 50s with 47/7s on the Salisbury Exeter route , In fact do Kernow not produce a really weathered Scotrail 47/7 with NSE flashes applied?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Legend said:

I think she did  replacing 50s with 47/7s on the Salisbury Exeter route , In fact do Kernow not produce a really weathered Scotrail 47/7 with NSE flashes applied?

They did, but at the time, I couldnt justify the cost of something like that which was out of period. 

However, £100 for a sound loco is very very tempting. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, JohnR said:

They did, but at the time, I couldnt justify the cost of something like that which was out of period. 

It does look like this is only available from Hornby direct John . Just in case you waste time looking for it at retailers . Yes that is good price .

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I assume that is a Railroad edition, I cannot see obvious wording to that on the site though.