Would a scotrail liveried 47 ever have been seen at Penzance?

Clagsniffer

Hi. I really fancy getting a hold of the new Bachmann 47 in scotrail livery to add to my fleet for my Penzance based layout. The question is would a scotrail machine in this livery ever have been to Penzance? Even just once? Would be nice if I could justify having it without the application of modellers licence.

Cheers for the help.

• RMweb Premium

Not totally beyond the realms of possibility (after all NSE locos were used in Scotland!) 47706 in battered Scotrail livery with fleetnames removed but still retaining the Scottie Dogs was used by NSE on West of England services for a while. Whether it got all the way to Penzance I couldn't say.

Thats a shame. I thought, as John pointed out, that with the scotrail locos being re allocated to NSE that a rogue 47 might have slipped through. Ive found pictures of NSE 47's at penzance so i was hoping one might have visited before a repaint. Never mind, modellers license it is!

Thanks guys.

From memory, most of the 47/7s that headed south got painted first (47705 and 47714 certainly were ) and whilst in Scotland they did stray but I cannot imagine one escaping as far as PZ.

EDIT: Curiousity has the better of me. I can see that 47703 went to Poole and 47704/6 did some Waterloo-Exeter services whilst still in ScR colours but 47707 definintely got painted very quickly. 47701 did not get painted straight away but nothing so far to suggest it did anything but NSE services.

EDIT 2: I have found a photo of 47717 in ScR colours at Newcastle working a PZ service but nothing to say it went all the way.

Edited by Raffles

47706 lasted right through it's NSE service without getting a repaint, and was then taken on by Rail Express Systems still in unbranded and very scruffy Scotrail as per Geoff's link above, complete with assorted NSE flashes, scotty dog an' all - I saw it every so often at Paddington on mail traffic at that time so it ending up on the Penzance TPO isn't at all unlikely.

Thank you guys for the info, and Geoff that's exactly the type of pic I was looking for so thanks! I think I will order one now, take the scotrail branding off and add the NSE flashes. Just one question, would the small NSE flashes be on both cab sides and both ends?

47706 lasted right through it's NSE service without getting a repaint, and was then taken on by Rail Express Systems still in unbranded and very scruffy Scotrail as per Geoff's link above, complete with assorted NSE flashes, scotty dog an' all - I saw it every so often at Paddington on mail traffic at that time so it ending up on the Penzance TPO isn't at all unlikely.

I'm reasonably certain I travelled behind it at some point, but whether on a Waterloo-Exeter or a summer extra (with a truly dreadful selection of clapped put Mark 1s - including the last non-preserved corridor compartment stock I used) from Weymouth I can't remember now. Seemed quite exotic at the time.

Adam

From memory 47461 was the only Scotrail blue lined class 47/4, all the others were 47/7s. I definitely remember 461 at Penzance in that livery, but cant remember if I took a photo. Various other red striped Scotrail 47/4 visited Penzance 47593 etc.. I will try to dig out some photos during the late 80s early ninties. The 47/7s were regular visitors on Parcel workings, 706 has already been mentioned. Again - it's surprizing how "recent" railway history is now 22 years ago!

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the info, and Geoff that's exactly the type of pic I was looking for so thanks! I think I will order one now, take the scotrail branding off and add the NSE flashes. Just one question, would the small NSE flashes be on both cab sides and both ends?

I believe they were indeed on all 4 cab sides plus both ends by the time it joined RES - IIRC it gradually gained them over time though, I think you'll find pics of it with just them on 2 cabsides early in it's NSE career!

From memory 47461 was the only Scotrail blue lined class 47/4, all the others were 47/7s. I definitely remember 461 at Penzance in that livery, but cant remember if I took a photo. Various other red striped Scotrail 47/4 visited Penzance 47593 etc.. I will try to dig out some photos during the late 80s early ninties. The 47/7s were regular visitors on Parcel workings, 706 has already been mentioned. Again - it's surprizing how "recent" railway history is now 22 years ago!

Charles Rennie Indigestion Tablet seen here at Taunton en route PLY:

http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/DUFFS.htm

One of the joys of forums like this is having a trawl through old albums to see if one has lost their marbles or not, I found a class 47/7 passing Roskear Jn with the midday vans. If you look closely you'll see Driver Steve Mayes (crazy Mazey as we called him) accusingly pointing to his watch to appoint blame for time loss. It wasnt my fault honest!

post-2613-0-24213100-1352300023_thumb.jpg

I've also included a scotty dog 47517 in large logo at Hayle in the late eighties to show any loco could turn up down west. Stratford ones were rare mind you...

post-2613-0-35625400-1352300048_thumb.jpg

I'll keep looking for a Penzance one though...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 1 year later...

I seem to remember 47704 kept its Scotrail livery for quite a long time after it was allocated to RES, I saw it running around Crewe and I'm sure I've seen a photo of it sat on Old oak common looking rather tatty so from there it could easily have got to penzance

I seem to remember 47704 kept its Scotrail livery for quite a long time after it was allocated to RES, I saw it running around Crewe and I'm sure I've seen a photo of it sat on Old oak common looking rather tatty so from there it could easily have got to penzance

Was that 47704 or 47706? 47706 was the one that kept its Scotrail livery forever and did get really tatty while working NSE services. Wasn't 47704 repainted into RES fairly quickly? It was the one which had the large cabside numbers while in Scotrail livery

Remember the InterCity ScotRail branded ones got allocated to various places after leaving Scotland so seeing them turn up on Penzance/Brighton/Poole or even Folkestone services was not unusual.

And even when they were allocated north of the border, anything with a Scotty dog or Stag it was almost guaranteed to go wandering :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any proof, and it's probably my memory playing tricks on me. But, I think I remember seeing some (1 or 2) of the 47/7s at Waterloo when they first started on the West of England trains still with, scruffy, Scotrail branding but obvously it didn't last long. I didn't take too much iterest in the 47s then as they weren't 50s!! I have often wondered, "what if" the complete push/pull trains had come south instead of just the 47/7s!

David

• Like 1

I don't have any proof, and it's probably my memory playing tricks on me. But, I think I remember seeing some (1 or 2) of the 47/7s at Waterloo when they first started on the West of England trains still with, scruffy, Scotrail branding but obvously it didn't last long. I didn't take too much iterest in the 47s then as they weren't 50s!! I have often wondered, "what if" the complete push/pull trains had come south instead of just the 47/7s!

David

That's quite likely because the ScotRail 47s which came to the South West did work the Waterloo services alongside the 50s.

Geoff Endacott

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

The photo at Bath Road was taken in the summer of 1991. 47492 was in the parcels sector as was 47704 behind it. 47704 was a definite candidate for a Scotrail class 47 at Penzance as it wasn't repainted until November 1991.

As for the Hymek. When was the Bath Road open day in 1991?

Vin