1048 Western Lady - Ownership

Andy1963

I had the pleasure last Saturday of visiting the Midland Railway Centre last weekend and took the opportunity to walk down to Swanwick Junction to see Lady. This was my first visit to Swanwick and the first time I have seen Lady in preservation. Although the roof was covered up with green tarpaulins, presumably to keep the winter weather out of the engine room, the cabs were uncovered.

Every website I have visited say she is privately owned and under restoration. Does anyone know who owns her and what the status of restoration is? Obviously she has had extensive body repairs and a repaint, but I wonder what the status is electrically and mechanically. Is there a plan to bring her back to running order? From the WLA, DTG and Bury diesel groups efforts, it is evident these 50 year old's are all in need or a total rewire and with 2 of the seven (1015 and 1062) done, and 2 more (1013 and 1041) being done at the moment, I wonder if 1048's wiring has been checked or replaced?

Impressive fleet of loco's at Swanwick, well worth a visit for anyone in the area. As well as Lady, there were 3 Peaks, a 40, a 50, 3 47's, a 37, a 31, a 20 and a 25. Plus all the steam loco's in the museum and West shed and all free access, they just ask you to make a donation.

• 1 year later...
Guest simon.exd

I have often wondered this...

I feel that if I knew I may be inclined to offer a bit of financial support.. if there was an association or such i would join..

• 4 weeks later...

I have a interest in 1048 from years back.because as a eight or nine year old, my dad took me on one of the mystery tours that ran back in the very early 70s from Bristol This particular tour ended up in Chester for the day, and whilst sat at the window seat at Chester to.come home, my dad was asked if the lad would like a cab ride, Would I ? Like a shot I was out of my seat and out on to the platform to be lead to the secondmans seat of the cab of Weatern Lady , their followed a wonderful time operating the horns when told until I had to get out at Shrewsbury, as the driver explained there were to many officials around to go any further, as it was I had to go and hide in the engine room as we went through one station which my have been Crewe, interesting place to be when your that young with very two noisy screaming monsters for company on your own

So having that experience I have a interest in keeping 1048 alive , even if I haven't seen her for a few years

• 8 months later...

I believe from what i have been told that two guys own "Lady". Again from various sources it appears they like to keep things private and don't hold a connection with any of the other diesel groups! If what i have posted is wrong then i am sure the owners will come out of the woodwork and inform us of the status with "Lady". The WLA swap and change parts between both their machines, one of their power units i believe came from 1028. Without the spares and the ongoing planned refurbishment of parts as adopted by the WLA i wonder what the plan for running 1048 is again. The owners may have a maintainace plan, who know's? However at least this loco is still with us so hats off to the owners, whoever they are?

Archived